Android RNS-E

Just to follow up - I've ended up just rooting the device, and using a power down widget to be on the safe side.
Modified DPI for a nicer display

I've got the PB76AA3AP unit... I'm on a non-Bose but amped car, I got the rear speakers working, mainly because I didn't plug the blue+green connectors to power them in the first place...

Anyway! I've noticed my unit has a really quickboot, to the point it's more of a restore of the system state, rather than actually booting up, is this normal? Just worried in case it kills my battery.

Yes it doesn't sound right that, I had the same with a previous android unit and my battery went dead. It turned out there is a red wire on them that needs disconnecting, on mine it had a connector so it were 2 red wires plugged together so I simply unplugged the connector and problem sorted! If you have one whole red wire then I've read elsewhere that it's a case of cutting it.

Alternatively it could be a faulty canbus box.

Yes it doesn't sound right that, I had the same with a previous android unit and my battery went dead. It turned out there is a red wire on them that needs disconnecting, on mine it had a connector so it were 2 red wires plugged together so I simply unplugged the connector and problem sorted! If you have one whole red wire then I've read elsewhere that it's a case of cutting it.

Alternatively it could be a faulty canbus box.

I don't suppose you can remember what the cable was?
Noticed when I parked up in the driveway, when I use a shutdown widget, the device boots up automatically, if I remove the key as the Audi boot logo starts, it looks as if it's turned off... But putting the key back in and turning it, the device is awake already.

I'll have to bug Xtron to see if they have any suggestions if no one here has had that/can remember what they did.

I didn't do anything and it keeps awake two hours as I set it up. When I come next day and turn the key, it starts booting a if it was shut down.
I have Android 5.1

Cool - I've got some information from them, they initially suggested following this
However, I don't have the second half of that red cable they're saying to join together...
Then they've just said cut the red from the canbus, and I've confirmed that they're on about this
tapsGzd.jpg

Cool - I've got some information from them, they initially suggested following this
However, I don't have the second half of that red cable they're saying to join together...
Then they've just said cut the red from the canbus, and I've confirmed that they're on about this
tapsGzd.jpg

They're not saying to join the cable together. Theyre saying like I said in my post that the cable will already be joined together and you need to disconnect it, that's why it's draining the battery. By the looks of that though it has no connector so needs cutting like you have said.

I ordered the same unit a few days ago and it's just been delivered for me to collect so I'll be installing it today so I'll let you know what I find.

They're not saying to join the cable together. Theyre saying like I said in my post that the cable will already be joined together and you need to disconnect it, that's why it's draining the battery. By the looks of that though it has no connector so needs cutting like you have said.

I ordered the same unit a few days ago and it's just been delivered for me to collect so I'll be installing it today so I'll let you know what I find.

On Step 3, they are saying to join the cables together (that weren't initially)... I've confirmed with Xtrons, if the two ACC are separated prior, cut the red from the canbus and join the originally separated ACC...

On Step 3, they are saying to join the cables together (that weren't initially)... I've confirmed with Xtrons, if the two ACC are separated prior, cut the red from the canbus and join the originally separated ACC...

Yes I see what you're saying now.

From my experience though from when I had one of these units before, if you cut that red cable you have identified then that will stop the unit from draining the battery and it will turn off properly.
If you cut it and it doesn't work (but I'm sure it will) you can always join it back together again

Yes I see what you're saying now.

From my experience though from when I had one of these units before, if you cut that red cable you have identified then that will stop the unit from draining the battery and it will turn off properly.
If you cut it and it doesn't work (but I'm sure it will) you can always join it back together again

Just cut it as suggested, didn't power the unit on anymore. Joined them back up and a bit of electrical tape over it and it's back on for now.
Xtrons are sending me a new loom and canbus unit, once that arrives I'll go mental with a MM, that way I have something that functions to go back to.

I'll post results if I find something out; hopefully it'll help others who may face this situation.

Thanks for your help ab1702

Just cut it as suggested, didn't power the unit on anymore. Joined them back up and a bit of electrical tape over it and it's back on for now.
Xtrons are sending me a new loom and canbus unit, once that arrives I'll go mental with a MM, that way I have something that functions to go back to.

I'll post results if I find something out; hopefully it'll help others who may face this situation.

Thanks for your help ab1702

After you have cut that cable have you tried joining those other 2 red cables together that you have dangling loose in the picture, one is above your gearstick in the picture and the other is below it and to the left in the picture

After you have cut that cable have you tried joining those other 2 red cables together that you have dangling loose in the picture, one is above your gearstick in the picture and the other is below it and to the left in the picture
Yeah - also was asked to try the brown by them as well.

Yeah - also was asked to try the brown by them as well.

Not really much else you can try then to be fair is there. I'm going to put mine in soon and it looks exactly the same as yours so I'll see how I get on with it turning on and off with the ignition

You should be fine, they're suggesting it could be a faulty canbus box - sending a new one out and a new loom as I had to make a cut (not much of an issue, but nice gesture from them either way). They're sending from their UK depo, so hopefully have it by the weekend or Monday/Tuesday.

I did notice even after rooting and using terminal to shutdown (su | reboot -p) it still booted itself back up and then went to sleep mode, which is using power, as I was able to get an adb connection through to it still, when running a dmesg I could see that there was still a charge going through.
I could kill this completely by hitting the reset button behind SD/RST; when attempting another adb, connection fails (but I can't confirm if there's still charge going to it).

Can someone put up some more picture of the fit on these, also interested in the colour match on the plastic from the various unit manufacturers.

You should be fine, they're suggesting it could be a faulty canbus box - sending a new one out and a new loom as I had to make a cut (not much of an issue, but nice gesture from them either way). They're sending from their UK depo, so hopefully have it by the weekend or Monday/Tuesday.

I did notice even after rooting and using terminal to shutdown (su | reboot -p) it still booted itself back up and then went to sleep mode, which is using power, as I was able to get an adb connection through to it still, when running a dmesg I could see that there was still a charge going through.
I could kill this completely by hitting the reset button behind SD/RST; when attempting another adb, connection fails (but I can't confirm if there's still charge going to it).

So.. I've installed it and everything seems to be working fine. When it comes to turning it off if I turn the ignition off but leave the keys in then it still works like the original Audi unit did but when I pull the keys out it then says power off shutting down, so all seems to be fine there.
All my cables look exactly the same as yours so something of yours must be faulty. Everything was pretty much plugged in for me in the box, I just had to plug the speakers into the unit and the main power adaptor connected to the loom and then connect that to the cars quad lock loom and everything was done. Even the aerial came already connected with a dual fakra connector.

I must say I am impressed in this android 6 unit as the octa core makes it boot up much quicker than my last unit I had which was android 4.4.
I have Bose speakers and these worked straight away at the proper volume and so far there doesn't seem to be any interference with the sound (although I haven't took it for a proper drive yet with the new unit in).
I ordered DAB with it aswell which is working perfectly fine.
The only slight annoyance I have is that I haven't got a reverse camera but when you put the car in reverse it cuts all the screen off as if it were showing you the rear camera view and I haven't figured out if this can be turned off yet. I have got the volume to stay on when this happens though so it isn't a major problem.

Reactions: HHS3
So.. I've installed it and everything seems to be working fine. When it comes to turning it off if I turn the ignition off but leave the keys in then it still works like the original Audi unit did but when I pull the keys out it then says power off shutting down, so all seems to be fine there.
All my cables look exactly the same as yours so something of yours must be faulty. Everything was pretty much plugged in for me in the box, I just had to plug the speakers into the unit and the main power adaptor connected to the loom and then connect that to the cars quad lock loom and everything was done. Even the aerial came already connected with a dual fakra connector.

I must say I am impressed in this android 6 unit as the octa core makes it boot up much quicker than my last unit I had which was android 4.4.
I have Bose speakers and these worked straight away at the proper volume and so far there doesn't seem to be any interference with the sound (although I haven't took it for a proper drive yet with the new unit in).
I ordered DAB with it aswell which is working perfectly fine.
The only slight annoyance I have is that I haven't got a reverse camera but when you put the car in reverse it cuts all the screen off as if it were showing you the rear camera view and I haven't figured out if this can be turned off yet. I have got the volume to stay on when this happens though so it isn't a major problem.

Good to hear that yours is working fine - that'll give hope to others looking to get the same unit. I've had nothing but good service from Xtrons regarding my issue too.

Once you've taken the keys out and it's done it's shutdown, few hours later, when you start up again - does it boot straight away into what you had before, or does it load the OS completely with bootlogo?

For the reverse camera, I was told to cut one of the wires to kill the reverse camera (I think it was labelled reverse), I didn't cut it as I want to get camera eventually. I couldn't find anywhere in the menu or factory menu to turn it off.

Can someone put up some more picture of the fit on these, also interested in the colour match on the plastic from the various unit manufacturers.

Here you go (for colour, I've not got mine pushed in fully as I've been going to the back - and waiting for new loom)

KiU6gdk.jpg

Good to hear that yours is working fine - that'll give hope to others looking to get the same unit. I've had nothing but good service from Xtrons regarding my issue too.

Once you've taken the keys out and it's done it's shutdown, few hours later, when you start up again - does it boot straight away into what you had before, or does it load the OS completely with bootlogo?

For the reverse camera, I was told to cut one of the wires to kill the reverse camera (I think it was labelled reverse), I didn't cut it as I want to get camera eventually. I couldn't find anywhere in the menu or factory menu to turn it off.

I'm going to try it later when I get in from work as I go to work in my work van. If it is working as it should be it should come on from scratch with the boot logo.

Right so I came to it today then about 5pm and started the car and the unit came straight on instantly so no boot up. I'm unsure to be fair whether this is normal or not though with these new units as when I take the keys out of the ignition the unit turns itself off and I can't turn it back on at all not even by pressing the power button on the unit unless I turn the ignition back on, so it is as if it has no power to it which would seem normal to me.
When I had a problem with my old android 4.4 not turning off it wouldn't go off even when you took the keys out of the ignition whereas this one does. On the old one I had to press the button on the front to turn it off but that would only put it into sleep mode which would drain the battery after a few days, this was until I found the fix for it(Which on that one was to disconnect 2 of the red wires that were coupled together). After I found the fix for it then it would reboot itself every time you turned the ignition off and on so to be honest I'm unsure whether this new one will drain the battery or not but I've got a feeling it will not.

Does yours do the same as what I am describing here with my new one or not?

Right so I came to it today then about 5pm and started the car and the unit came straight on instantly so no boot up. I'm unsure to be fair whether this is normal or not though with these new units as when I take the keys out of the ignition the unit turns itself off and I can't turn it back on at all not even by pressing the power button on the unit unless I turn the ignition back on, so it is as if it has no power to it which would seem normal to me.
When I had a problem with my old android 4.4 not turning off it wouldn't go off even when you took the keys out of the ignition whereas this one does. On the old one I had to press the button on the front to turn it off but that would only put it into sleep mode which would drain the battery after a few days, this was until I found the fix for it(Which on that one was to disconnect 2 of the red wires that were coupled together). After I found the fix for it then it would reboot itself every time you turned the ignition off and on so to be honest I'm unsure whether this new one will drain the battery or not but I've got a feeling it will not.

Does yours do the same as what I am describing here with my new one or not?

Mine does the same thing, my ultimate test to confirm if it was still on/alive was to hook up my laptop via adb, turn the car off, and see if I was still able to pull information on the unit - which I was. Also using terminal emulator I was able to confirm that my uptime hadn't reset either... I don't know if this is because of the yellow cable giving it a trickle of power.

When I asked Xtrons, they said it should be displaying the boot logo every time the car is powered - hence why I went through their troubleshooting with them.

It could ultimately be correct as-is, and that their email guys are just unaware and are going via the old information/guides they were provided - I assume that because of the link they provided is for their older looms.

I've got the multimeter out and have been giving fuses a few prods and pokes to confirm if I can find one that turns off when the key is out - and I did find one, but the other half started moaning so I had to head in... I'm half tempted to connect the red + yellow to this, I don't use the radio so am not bothered if I lost the saved stations (well, none are saved atm). I'm going try play around again tomorrow morning :)

Mine does the same thing, my ultimate test to confirm if it was still on/alive was to hook up my laptop via adb, turn the car off, and see if I was still able to pull information on the unit - which I was. Also using terminal emulator I was able to confirm that my uptime hadn't reset either... I don't know if this is because of the yellow cable giving it a trickle of power.

When I asked Xtrons, they said it should be displaying the boot logo every time the car is powered - hence why I went through their troubleshooting with them.

It could ultimately be correct as-is, and that their email guys are just unaware and are going via the old information/guides they were provided - I assume that because of the link they provided is for their older looms.

I've got the multimeter out and have been giving fuses a few prods and pokes to confirm if I can find one that turns off when the key is out - and I did find one, but the other half started moaning so I had to head in... I'm half tempted to connect the red + yellow to this, I don't use the radio so am not bothered if I lost the saved stations (well, none are saved atm). I'm going try play around again tomorrow morning :)

I think it must be using the trickle connection to keep it in sleep mode as if it was wired incorrectly then it wouldn't go off when you take the key out of the ignition, the fact that it does means that it is wired correctly to the switched live if I'm not mistaken. Also with you already having tried cutting wires and wiring it up differently and that not making any difference then I'm thinking how it is must be correct.
I did notice earlier that it was connected to my Bluetooth and when I took the keys out of the ignition and the unit went off it did disconnect from my Bluetooth on my phone so I figured the unit must have gone off. When I had my older unit wired up incorrectly it would still connect to the Bluetooth on my phone. I think how these units are wired up must be correct but only time will tell I suppose, will have to see if we get flat battery's or not. I'm going to leave my car for a good few days and then try it and see if the car struggles to start or not

A RNS-E-like Android 6.0 Xtrons head unit with 2GB RAM is available already. Just FYI.

I just want to say a huge thanks to @leshkin for getting his soldering iron out and connecting up the Bose RCA noise suppressors to my Xtrons Android 5.1 HU for me. I've got the Bose system and apart from a repeating faint echo noise you could hear at low volume every 10 seconds, I thought my setup was ok, but after connecting the suppressors then wow what a big difference they made. No echo noise anymore and the sub produces a lot more bass with the rear speakers being louder as well (both were ok before to be fair), it's a much better sound all round and so I would definitely recommend these for Bose systems.

Thanks again mate and to others on here as well for their advice:rockwoot:

Reactions: kash_v and leshkin
Can any of these units be coded to show up on the dis ( sat nav directions, radio info, ECT, ECT)

I fitted a rear view camera. I was lazy to wire up the camera-to-head unit connection, so I bought a wireless transmitter & receiver. It works well, though there are some audio and video interference issues (audio&video noise).

Equipment used:
- Xtrons Android 5.1.1 head unit for Audi A3 8P
- Car Rover® backup camera (off Amazon)
- SODIAL 2.4GHZ RCA Wireless Transmitter & Receiver for car rear reversing camera (off Amazon)
- PAC CSS-12 POWER LINE FILTER (one used only on a receiver side) (off ebay)

All the parts are inexpensive Chinese ones off Amazon or Ebay.

The PAC CSS-12 installed on a power wire on a dash/receiver part of the wireless setup solved (I think) the alternator noise issue, at least I didn't hear it the last few days, though I keep checking.

BUT the video interference is still there and you can see it on the video. I guess the reason for the interference is that the power wire on a wireless transmitter is connected to the reverse light (which is how it should be), but I use an LED reverse bulbs and I have heard the LED bulbs can cause this type issue.

The question is how to fix it. I would try to install one more PAC CSS-12, this time on a camera/transmitter part of the setup, right after the reverse light in order to filter out the noise. But is there another (I mean PROVEN) solution?

Reactions: leonwilliams
I've had issues with mine (nothing major), just Google Maps dying on long distance trips.
Xtrons have given me an update to apply - This is for the PB76AA3AP unit - install using the front USB port/adaptor

I took the plunge had no issues sound quality better. Didn't require extra leads as some suggest I got 5.1 quad core..just a couple of thing's it's advertised with buttons lit but that is not the case .they come on with you side lights. Mirror link car get to work but it's not the end of the world ..mines has wifi built in can't get it to connect yet.reverse camera definitely have to change it's too big ..

have seen number plate ones perfect for the job. Don't put GPS on glove box it will sit perfect between vents nice
little spot I just put some padding so it didn't move about.

Just need help getting hold of GPS micro sd card if anyone knows where I can get from..

Steering wheel controls spot on. Even works when engine off. Bluetooth spot on crisp nd clear. The usb leads I fitted In to the little card holder by hazard switch perfect place out of sight.

Attachments

• 20170505_161706.jpg
    20170505_161706.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 588
  • 20170505_161407.jpg
    20170505_161407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 527
I forgot no power draining issues but.it turns off fine however I would like to be able to switch it on with ignition off. Radio works fine clear .Didn't need a fakra lead it came with one ..a double lead is the other connector for the dis.

Attachments

• 20170505_162426.jpg
    20170505_162426.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 610
I took the plunge had no issues sound quality better. Didn't require extra leads as some suggest I got 5.1 quad core..just a couple of thing's it's advertised with buttons lit but that is not the case .they come on with you side lights. Mirror link car get to work but it's not the end of the world ..mines has wifi built in can't get it to connect yet.reverse camera definitely have to change it's too big ..

have seen number plate ones perfect for the job. Don't put GPS on glove box it will sit perfect between vents nice
little spot I just put some padding so it didn't move about.

Just need help getting hold of GPS micro sd card if anyone knows where I can get from..

Steering wheel controls spot on. Even works when engine off. Bluetooth spot on crisp nd clear. The usb leads I fitted In to the little card holder by hazard switch perfect place out of sight.

Hi Leon - Xtrons gave me this link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjrY0uqbW_kBgzGKO1x_CECC9815 for GPS/maps. Personally I use Google Maps.

I've had issues with Google Maps crashing after an hour or so of driving (when using it for navigation), having it running on the maps it worked fine with no problem and didn't crash. I've used the update Xtrons gave me to bring me up to the latest version available (checked via xda-devs) but still had this issue. I've since had to re-root as the update ran a flash on system.

The method for rooting, without having to use kingoroot's root manager all the time and without having to remove files from system to remove their app and have the ability to use SuperSU, I did the following:

- Download Kingoroot (not installed yet)
- Download and install SuperSU
- Install and run Kingoroot with an internet connection
- Soon as it says that root was successful, go and run SuperSU
- This will allow SuperSU to become the default root manager, before Kingoroot runs it's crap of wanting the be the only one to provide root access..
- You can then safely uninstall Kingoroot, and you now have SuperSU for root manager, apply the update to the binaries (it won't fail, unless you have kingoroot still installed)

I then changed the kernel governer to performance, and made the minimum usage to 1Ghz (it was 242mhz or something before), I used Kernel Adiutor for this.

Performance on the device was great since doing this, I've not had any Google Maps crashes at all, but I did notice the memory usage was still fairly high, considering it's not really doing much, it looked as if the cause of this was Google Play Services (surprise surprise)...

I took my lenses out, and put my nerd glasses on and got to work and playing around.

I removed all Google Play services, and anything related, so Gmail, Google Maps, Play Store were all removed. The device was smoooth, but kinda useless unless you used a sideloaded apk/GPS. I tried sideloading Google Maps, didn't work - needs play services. Memory usage at this stage was great.
As a bit of an xda-devs vet, I decided to replace Play Services with a minimalist version... So to follow the rest of this, you should have deleted all Google Play Services apps from your device, be it via terminal, adb or root file explorer. They're in /system/app

- Download and install FlashFire, https://flashfire.chainfire.eu/ (you should already be rooted here, and using chainfire's SuperSU)
- Download the correct xposed framework, arm64 for me
- I used FlashFire to flash the .zip file (I haven't ported TWRP to the MTCD unit yet)
- I then downloaded and installed the Xposed app
- Install and enable FakeGApps in Xposed, activate then reboot the unit
- Download MicroG (http://microg.org), MicroG Services Framework, MicroG Store, MicroG Services Core
- Install these three, then reboot the unit again
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account, and add your Gmail account

I've seen on other devices (not car related), that people do have issues using MicroG's Store, there's an alternative called BlankStore https://github.com/mar-v-in/BlankStore. I personally didn't bother, I just downloaded Maps, Play Music, Google Now, YouTube, Chrome from here https://gappsandroid.blogspot.com/ - You can just download the apk for whatever you want for most things online anyways, alternatively you can use the Amazon Store which has a lot of the same things.
IF you do hate everything after this is done, and want Google Play back, remove the MicroG stuff, and download Gapps zip and flash using FlashFire (I did in the end)

Eitherway, since doing this, the performance is insanely great - no choppy sound from the satnav, the mrs watches **** on youtube, flicks back to the satnav if i need it, and the radio etc etc without any hiccups, before it would eventually start slowing down... especially on those trips to Edinburgh without stopping.

Hopefully the blurb above has helped someone who is having issues with performance after a few hours of driving.

This weekend I plan to install the reverse camera, I've pulled the boot card off, and trying to figure out where to drill the whole in the plastic besides the handle, if anyone has any pictures they can show, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: HHS3 and dp_motley
Hi I'm quite savvy on certain things but the more I read my eyes just glazed over lol..but will look at the xtrons maps..as for the reverse camera there's loads out there I've run the cable Upto the boot you don't have to drill any holes mate. There's a reverse comes that replaces one of your number plate lights perfect fit.on Amazon and eBay..
I'd be more than happy to pay you for the software preinstalled on card?

well that post has reminded me all about xda :) in a goood way.
flashing roms/recoveries / kernels etc - still got a Nexus at the mo and wouldn't change it for the world.
Not sure I'd be committed enough to have a head unit that I'd have to look after like a phone.

Mike

Ha ha ha. Thing is I only got it for the Bluetooth other stuff is extra .way cheaper than buying the outdated Audi rnse.took me couple of months checking them all out . Pumpkin come out on top..plug and play no hassle with rear speakers..

fair play Leon...
I understand... I just wish I had the inclination to swap mine out. Got a mk2 RNSE and I think I'd really miss the DIS integration.
good to see people trying new toys though :)

The dis not a big thing to miss. Mines has the twin fakra lead I only used one of the connections so will try it tomorrow

Hi Leon - Xtrons gave me this link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjrY0uqbW_kBgzGKO1x_CECC9815 for GPS/maps. Personally I use Google Maps.

I've had issues with Google Maps crashing after an hour or so of driving (when using it for navigation), having it running on the maps it worked fine with no problem and didn't crash. I've used the update Xtrons gave me to bring me up to the latest version available (checked via xda-devs) but still had this issue. I've since had to re-root as the update ran a flash on system.

The method for rooting, without having to use kingoroot's root manager all the time and without having to remove files from system to remove their app and have the ability to use SuperSU, I did the following:

- Download Kingoroot (not installed yet)
- Download and install SuperSU
- Install and run Kingoroot with an internet connection
- Soon as it says that root was successful, go and run SuperSU
- This will allow SuperSU to become the default root manager, before Kingoroot runs it's **** of wanting the be the only one to provide root access..
- You can then safely uninstall Kingoroot, and you now have SuperSU for root manager, apply the update to the binaries (it won't fail, unless you have kingoroot still installed)

I then changed the kernel governer to performance, and made the minimum usage to 1Ghz (it was 242mhz or something before), I used Kernel Adiutor for this.

Performance on the device was great since doing this, I've not had any Google Maps crashes at all, but I did notice the memory usage was still fairly high, considering it's not really doing much, it looked as if the cause of this was Google Play Services (surprise surprise)...

I took my lenses out, and put my nerd glasses on and got to work and playing around.

I removed all Google Play services, and anything related, so Gmail, Google Maps, Play Store were all removed. The device was smoooth, but kinda useless unless you used a sideloaded apk/GPS. I tried sideloading Google Maps, didn't work - needs play services. Memory usage at this stage was great.
As a bit of an xda-devs vet, I decided to replace Play Services with a minimalist version... So to follow the rest of this, you should have deleted all Google Play Services apps from your device, be it via terminal, adb or root file explorer. They're in /system/app

- Download and install FlashFire, https://flashfire.chainfire.eu/ (you should already be rooted here, and using chainfire's SuperSU)
- Download the correct xposed framework, arm64 for me
- I used FlashFire to flash the .zip file (I haven't ported TWRP to the MTCD unit yet)
- I then downloaded and installed the Xposed app
- Install and enable FakeGApps in Xposed, activate then reboot the unit
- Download MicroG (http://microg.org), MicroG Services Framework, MicroG Store, MicroG Services Core
- Install these three, then reboot the unit again
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account, and add your Gmail account

I've seen on other devices (not car related), that people do have issues using MicroG's Store, there's an alternative called BlankStore https://github.com/mar-v-in/BlankStore. I personally didn't bother, I just downloaded Maps, Play Music, Google Now, YouTube, Chrome from here https://gappsandroid.blogspot.com/ - You can just download the apk for whatever you want for most things online anyways, alternatively you can use the Amazon Store which has a lot of the same things.
IF you do hate everything after this is done, and want Google Play back, remove the MicroG stuff, and download Gapps zip and flash using FlashFire (I did in the end)

Eitherway, since doing this, the performance is insanely great - no choppy sound from the satnav, the mrs watches **** on youtube, flicks back to the satnav if i need it, and the radio etc etc without any hiccups, before it would eventually start slowing down... especially on those trips to Edinburgh without stopping.

Hopefully the blurb above has helped someone who is having issues with performance after a few hours of driving.

This weekend I plan to install the reverse camera, I've pulled the boot card off, and trying to figure out where to drill the whole in the plastic besides the handle, if anyone has any pictures they can show, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for sharing the knowledge. It's what I thought of a few last weeks.
I've got an Android 5.1 unit and low memory was the only issue for me. The thing just freezes if I start the engine and, after the HU boots, play music (poweramp) and start an app that I use always during driving. That app uses more than 100Mb of memory, but I never drive without it (a speed cameras notification app). It works though if I start slowly: poweramp after a minut or two after the HU boots and that app after another few minutes. So I think that this is just lack of RAM issue. If I add Google Maps or Sygic to the mix, it can work or can not work. No guarantee is here. It doesn't add trust to the unit.

I tried an alternative ROM, Malaisky, but was not satisfied with it. Then I downloaded the latest version of the original Xtrons ROM, installed and rooted with Kingoroot. The Kingoroot installed its Kingo**** that still is installed as I don't know how to get rid of it.

I always wanted to throw away as many G-crap as possible, but I didn't know what my system needed to function properly.

I just emailed Xtrons support and asked them to send me the original ROM for my device. However, I doubt if its possible to re-install the original ROM and remove any traces of rooting and all that cr*p I put there when I was trying to optimise the system. I want to get a clean device, then root it and do as you suggest with the SU and stuff you mentioned in your post. The goal is to delete everything unnecessary to driving. I need only Poweramp, Fartkontrol.nu, Navigation (Sygic preferable with Google Maps as backup/supporting app), MTCD Tools, Car Launcher Pro, all the Bluetooth stuff. All the radio/dvd/video/email stuff I keep disabled as I never use them.

So, I need a blueprint and your post is very close to it :) Thanks again!

So are you saying that in order for GPS to work smooth..get rid of anything to do with Google?

Nah, if you've got an older unit with 1Gb RAM and have performance issues, it's the best route.

If you've got 2Gb or a nicely performing 1Gb, just root with the above method, and download Kernel Aduitor, change the CPU core clock to max (it won't overheat, won't diminish the device as they're underclocked as is)... Also change the governor to Performance. Then use Google maps and use the offline maps feature in that, job done.

Alternatively, Xtrons gave me that satnav zip, to extract onto a microsd and use that (I didn't opt for that).

I've already purchased a camera, I went for Amazon product ideally have this next to the boot handle, anyone done it? I dunno where to drill through the plastic :(

The camera im going for is the one that replaces your number plate light it has a bulb it just wont get even spread of light ..

I've already purchased a camera, I went for Amazon product ideally have this next to the boot handle, anyone done it? I dunno where to drill through the plastic :(

I've done it. I bought an used A4 boot handle off ebay for £30 shipped. It's the same as the A3 one, but with a nice difference: it has a key hole :) I installed a camera there (drilled the keyhole out with an enclosed bore, fitted and adjusted the camera(and put a 1mm rubber stripe under the rear part of the camera to get more back than down view), than filled the holes with black silicone) and connected it to Xtrons using wireless transmitter&receiver.

Rearview camera
Rearview camera front view
Rearview camera side view
Rearview camera filled with silicone

Reactions: HHS3 and fakker