Android RNS-E

well done mate nice job looks very neat.. I was looking at the number plate holder with the built in camera still not decided yet

well done mate nice job looks very neat.. I was looking at the number plate holder with the built in camera still not decided yet
I considered this option and decided against it, I don't remember why. Perhaps it's because the camera is sticking out too far and blocking the boot handle?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. It's what I thought of a few last weeks.
I've got an Android 5.1 unit and low memory was the only issue for me. The thing just freezes if I start the engine and, after the HU boots, play music (poweramp) and start an app that I use always during driving. That app uses more than 100Mb of memory, but I never drive without it (a speed cameras notification app). It works though if I start slowly: poweramp after a minut or two after the HU boots and that app after another few minutes. So I think that this is just lack of RAM issue. If I add Google Maps or Sygic to the mix, it can work or can not work. No guarantee is here. It doesn't add trust to the unit.

I tried an alternative ROM, Malaisky, but was not satisfied with it. Then I downloaded the latest version of the original Xtrons ROM, installed and rooted with Kingoroot. The Kingoroot installed its Kingo**** that still is installed as I don't know how to get rid of it.

I always wanted to throw away as many G-**** as possible, but I didn't know what my system needed to function properly.

I just emailed Xtrons support and asked them to send me the original ROM for my device. However, I doubt if its possible to re-install the original ROM and remove any traces of rooting and all that cr*p I put there when I was trying to optimise the system. I want to get a clean device, then root it and do as you suggest with the SU and stuff you mentioned in your post. The goal is to delete everything unnecessary to driving. I need only Poweramp, Fartkontrol.nu, Navigation (Sygic preferable with Google Maps as backup/supporting app), MTCD Tools, Car Launcher Pro, all the Bluetooth stuff. All the radio/dvd/video/email stuff I keep disabled as I never use them.

So, I need a blueprint and your post is very close to it :) Thanks again!

Right, it won't be too difficult - I've played around with some old phones/tablets to see what it really does when you remove it.
The easiest method, download a root file explorer
Give it root permissions
Go to /system/app and delete kingoroot.apk, and if there's any other kingoroot titled apks, remove them too.
This will leave the su binaries there, and remove the app :)
You can then download supersu and it'll see that there are su binaries installed, and it'll take over and ask if you want them updated, and away you go.

After you've gone that, you could go into /system/app (as they're built into the rom/preinstalled) and look for any apps related to bluetooth, mtcd tools, radio, dvd, etc - to declutter the device.

If you go to Settings > About, can you confirm your MCU version + date? I can see if we can get the factory image back and pretend none of this ever happened, and start afresh.

EDIT:

I just thought; there are root apps to disable Google Services; so you don't have to go to the extreme of removing them if you don't need them. Just get a app disable-r from the play store, and then give it root permission, and disable the Google stuff you don't need.

I've done it. I bought an used A4 boot handle off ebay for £30 shipped. It's the same as the A3 one, but with a nice difference: it has a key hole :) I installed a camera there (drilled the keyhole out with an enclosed bore, fitted and adjusted the camera(and put a 1mm rubber stripe under the rear part of the camera to get more back than down view), than filled the holes with black silicone) and connected it to Xtrons using wireless transmitter&receiver.

View attachment 124881 View attachment 124883 View attachment 124884 View attachment 124885

I'm not technical enough to rip that bit out I guess; I could take the backing off the boot off... I saw that bit that you brought separately in the boot door, but would have no idea how the hell to get it out (if I were to get the A4 one) :D

Right, it won't be too difficult - I've played around with some old phones/tablets to see what it really does when you remove it.
The easiest method, download a root file explorer
Give it root permissions
Go to /system/app and delete kingoroot.apk, and if there's any other kingoroot titled apks, remove them too.
This will leave the su binaries there, and remove the app :)
You can then download supersu and it'll see that there are su binaries installed, and it'll take over and ask if you want them updated, and away you go.

After you've gone that, you could go into /system/app (as they're built into the rom/preinstalled) and look for any apps related to bluetooth, mtcd tools, radio, dvd, etc - to declutter the device.

If you go to Settings > About, can you confirm your MCU version + date? I can see if we can get the factory image back and pretend none of this ever happened, and start afresh.

EDIT:

I just thought; there are root apps to disable Google Services; so you don't have to go to the extreme of removing them if you don't need them. Just get a app disable-r from the play store, and then give it root permission, and disable the Google stuff you don't need.
I removed all kingo-stuff inclusive su, then I installed SuperSU which is a default su app now. Total Commander don't show any traces of kingo.
I installed Kernel Auditor again (I had it before) and set up it as you suggested. Nothing crashed yet, that's a good sign :) BTW, I saw memory management possibilities in Kernel Auditor, but they looked complicated to me. Did you do anything with memory optimisation in this app?
I still need to figure out how to install FakeGApps and microG stuff. Again, not being familiar with xda-dev, I have hard times to finding the right things on their pages.

My MCU version is MTCD_GS_V2.04_1

I bet it's a 64Bit system. At least Xtrons states it on their sales page.

Xtrons MCU

I removed all kingo-stuff inclusive su, then I installed SuperSU which is a default su app now. Total Commander don't show any traces of kingo.
I installed Kernel Auditor again (I had it before) and set up it as you suggested. Nothing crashed yet, that's a good sign :) BTW, I saw memory management possibilities in Kernel Auditor, but they looked complicated to me. Did you do anything with memory optimisation in this app?
I still need to figure out how to install FakeGApps and microG stuff. Again, not being familiar with xda-dev, I have hard times to finding the right things on their pages.

View attachment 124997

I'm still playing around with the memory, one thing I noticed on the trip back from Bicester Village - my Google Maps stops navigating/froze on the M1. Usually thing ends up being a full reboot, as closing the crashed Maps, and reopening results in the same poor performance...
Whilst in the Sunday traffic jams, instead of rebooting the device, I started looking at what the device was doing, and in terminal I could only see 1 core?!
Surely not... So I loaded Aduitor, and could see that only 1 core was enabled, and the rest had been switched off... I turned them back on, and hey presto, Maps worked fine for the remainder of the journey (not that it was really needed, but need to test the device).

There is something that is causing the other cores to sleep/turn off, if this is Android itself - I'm not sure but I need to look into this, I have asked Xtrons for the kernel source code (lol, unlikely), which would mean we can just cut off any power save feature or cpu run downs.

EDIT: I did find it strange that having set the CPU gov to Performance, that this still happened (it was listed as powersave in the app) so it looks as if some of my settings were reset whilst I had parked and the mrs went shopping.

View attachment 124997

Can you confirm how much RAM you have? 1GB or 2GB?

I see that there's an update to the firmware on your device, as well as Android itself... Only reason I'm asking about the RAM is because I wouldn't want you to flash 6.0.1 with 1GB without being aware.

I see that there's an MCU update available (I'm assuming it'll work for yours, as you're MTCD) - I found the DMCU.img (ctrl+f GS_12-17-2016_2.04_1_dmcu.img, rename to dmcu.img on SD/USB and you can just go to Settings>System MCU update and it'll find it/flash it) that you're running at least - so it's not all bad! So firmware wise, we've got what you got online so if all else fails - you got a backup of this.

Just to break down for anyone else reading, MTCx = the letter after determines what model board it's running inside, but they have variances of CPU+RAM still... The GS part, is manufacturer... GS in this case = Xtrons, So never flash a MCTD_KGL image, as it's different to yours, as the button setup etc is different. The Android image/ROM should just be compatible generally speaking, but better safe than sorry eh.

I'll check/find if the Android img is online too; that way you've got something to fall back on in every way.

I have 1GB RAM.
I spent some time at xda-dev, so I know about different MCUs and manufacturers. The MCU I run now is GS and it's compatible with my device. I have exactly the same version you link to. Actually, I installed the original version, 1.93 which was there when I bought the HU and then I upgraded it to V2.04.
I emailed Xtrons support and they sent me the latest version (from 02.22.2017) of the dmcu.img and dupdate.img.

Anyone been successful in mapping their SWC after fitting a android HU?

I can't map mine, they work on a basic setup that seems to be predefined but I can't alter this.

Done a fair bit of reading on XDA fm I can't really find anything to help. Any ideas?

Anyone been successful in mapping their SWC after fitting a android HU?

I can't map mine, they work on a basic setup that seems to be predefined but I can't alter this.

Done a fair bit of reading on XDA fm I can't really find anything to help. Any ideas?
Did you try the last version of MTCDTools?

Hi guys, bought a xtrons PB76AA3AP and in my car i have the BNS 5.0 stereo. Xtrons told me that this unit does not fit BNS 5 because the Canbus of this unit is not able to decode the system, and the harness does not fit either. It's true? Thank you

Hi All,

Couple of simple questions if anyone knows please:
  • Can you set the Android HU to open up a certain app on start-up? (Mine goes straight to bluetooth which is fine but would rather it open the bluetooth player or Torque pro app as it's always my phone thaqt connects automatically)
  • Can you disable the reversing camera on the 5.1 version? (I've gone into factory settings with password 126 like on the 6.0 however I can't see the option to do this like they do)
Cheers.

Hi All,

Couple of simple questions if anyone knows please:
  • Can you set the Android HU to open up a certain app on start-up? (Mine goes straight to bluetooth which is fine but would rather it open the bluetooth player or Torque pro app as it's always my phone thaqt connects automatically)
  • Can you disable the reversing camera on the 5.1 version? (I've gone into factory settings with password 126 like on the 6.0 however I can't see the option to do this like they do)
Cheers.
1. You can. Use the latest version of MTCDTools. It has a lot of new features inclusive setting up startup apps. You can even set then to start with delays of your choice. I tried and auto start worked, however I turned it off because of performance issues of the HU with 1GB RAM. The problem with mine was that when it booted up first time after full off-state it started slowly and I struggled even to play music. Add autostart apps to all the Google mix that wants to start first of all others... it's like ten people running together through a narrow door which is a low performance 1GB RAM HU.
2. There's a wire on the HU loom that you should cut. I can't say which one exactly. Contact your HU maker support and they'll show you.

Reactions: HHS3
1. You can. Use the latest version of MTCDTools. It has a lot of new features inclusive setting up startup apps. You can even set then to start with delays of your choice. I tried and auto start worked, however I turned it off because of performance issues of the HU with 1GB RAM. The problem with mine was that when it booted up first time after full off-state it started slowly and I struggled even to play music. Add autostart apps to all the Google mix that wants to start first of all others... it's like ten people running together through a narrow door which is a low performance 1GB RAM HU.
2. There's a wire on the HU loom that you should cut. I can't say which one exactly. Contact your HU maker support and they'll show you.

Thanks for the information mate, apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area but does the MTCD Tools software you mentioned require the HU to be rooted first? I wouldn't mind giving it a go to see how the performance would be for me because I only have Settings, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Player, Sygic & Torque pro installed and on the back ground on my HU.

Perfect I'll speak to Xtrons then regarding which wire to cut.

Cheers.

Hi I've managed to fit camera where the number plate light goes.but with ignition on it works fine. When I start engine the screen goes black .I've read that the pumping head unit drops voltage. Some talk of a relay .or a constant live any ideas

Right so I contacted Xtrons regarding the reverse camera, of which they replied with:

To disable the unit switching to the rear view camera when you put the car in reverse, you can simply disconnect the cable on the ISO harness that connects to the cars reverse light.
Would anybody mind showing which one that is or which wire to cut please? I'm utterly useless with this type of stuff..

Thanks.

I looked online and someone said about cutting the orange or orange/black wire on our units, I've cut both of the below but neither worked.. So I'm now enjoying wiring them back up.

Guys i have a mtcc kld6 v2.97 on 5.1.1 and i cant seem to flash any custom rom just get an error everytime.. any ideas.. attached pic of error and unit details

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3873.JPG
    IMG_3873.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 267
Hi,

i bought 2 months ago the Xtrons PB76AA3AP with DAB+ (USB stick) on aliexpress, all cable and interface works with my Bose Sound System. I update MCU to latest version and changed original rom to custom Malaysk 2.0.
Is possible to have better sound quality in output , similar to old Audi Symphony (Blaupunkt)?
Is possible to have better DAB+ stations reception when the car is on the road and not stopped?

thanks

I've just been through the whole thread which was very handy!

Is anyone running this in a B6 A4 with a half amped system? Trying t gather what experience people have had with the rears.

Have a problem with mine, have the erisin 6028. Unit powers up but after 10 sec i can hear the amp in the back off the car turn off, at the same time the unit also shuts off. Anyone a clue ? Trying to make this work in a S4 b6 2003 with full bose

Last edited:
had to connect the can bus wires at the TMC box in the boot, with the wires that go to the front of the car. 2 orange cables.

Read all of this thread and I think I am going to go for one of the new oct-core units but I have one question!

Does the standard Audi mic in the S3 8P fit into the back of this unit, as I would much prefer to use this instead of having to run the new mic up to the map lights.

Cheers

The standard mic doesn't fit. There's a built in mic in the HU. It works, not as great as the standard one though.

I don't know. I thought of cutting off the external HU mic and join the rest of the wire with the OE microphone but other projects distracted me from this idea and I forgot it. I'm unsure if independence is the same for the Chinese and the OE mic.

Read all of this thread and I think I am going to go for one of the new oct-core units but I have one question!

Does the standard Audi mic in the S3 8P fit into the back of this unit, as I would much prefer to use this instead of having to run the new mic up to the map lights.

Cheers

What models are you considering? So far I've seen the xtron PB76AA3AP mentioned in this thread for A3. Are there newer / better ones about? I'm not too sure where the best place to find info about them is?

on recommendation from ch1z64, i've been looking into these... seems the xtrons is the best bet (compared to eonon and erisin variants - xtrons is the only one to state this is for bose (which mine is). interference cables don't sound good to me.

soo, on that basis looks like pa77aa3p vs pb76aa3ap (prefer that look to the oem style anyway).

does anyone know why the octo core model runs android v6 whilst the v7 android version runs on quad core?? would i be right to guess they went back to quad core as big.LITTLE does not have much benefit for non-mobile applications (and the quad clocks much higher)? both have 2gb ram, the octo has 32gb rom rather than 16 (quad) bt that can be dealt with by external media...

thinking of pulling the trigger (and going wild on the options list!) any input before i do???

well, let's see how this plays out... on-order; android 7.1.2 unit, dvr unit, tpms module, dab+ module, license plate holder reverse cam, wireless transmitter for rear camera, dab fm splitter...

Reactions: maxpayne
well, let's see how this plays out... on-order; android 7.1.2 unit, dvr unit, tpms module, dab+ module, license plate holder reverse cam, wireless transmitter for rear camera, dab fm splitter...

which one did you go for?

my fingers are itching for a new toy myself....I'm such a fiend :$

Given the new generation of head units supporting Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, what advantage do these head units have? It's not like they are a lot cheaper than the equivalent Pioneer or Sony units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk