Android KitKat Bluetooth Phonebook compatibility with MMI

mjcourtney

Reaction score
So I received my nice shiny new nexus 5 yesterday. First thing I did was check it was compatible with the a3 Bluetooth.

My previous HTC one X wasn't great with the car and there was a lot of distortion when placing calls, so I was keen to make sure the nexus worked properly.

It connected up fine, and I could place calls no problem (sound quality is great). However..... No phone book!

After a long while digging around it becomes apparent that Google, in their infinite wisdom, no longer allow you to store contacts directly on the phone. Instead, they are stored in your Google cloud account. Now this makes very little difference with day to day use of the phone, however when the car tries to read the phone book from the phone it sees 0 entries.

<insert expletive here>

Having looked into this for quite some time it appears there is a workaround. But its not ideal. The car won't sync with the phone now, but you can send your phonebook to the car manually.

This is under People > Import/Export > Share visible contacts > Bluetooth.

Select the car as the destination and copy all contacts across. Once you've done this its business as usual, however if you make any changes to your phone book you will need to send the details to the car manually each time.

On the plus side, all contact pictures now transfer too so it looks good on the MMI when you've done it.

No idea whether there will be a long term fix for this, either from Audi or Google, but in the mean time I hope this helps anyone else experiencing the issue.

I have a Samsung Galaxy with my contacts stored in the google cloud and the contacts sync up with the car just fine. No need to do a manual copy or anything

I have a Samsung Galaxy with my contacts stored in the google cloud and the contacts sync up with the car just fine. No need to do a manual copy or anything

+1 i have a galaxy s4 and my contacts sync fine

Yeah my previous HTC one X also stored them in the cloud and they displayed fine in the car.

So it's either something specific to the nexus 5 or certain builds of KitKat

I might also add that my galaxy s4 is running a custom AOSP rom with latest kitkat build so im not too sure why your nexus is doing that sorry

I might also add that my galaxy s4 is running a custom AOSP rom with latest kitkat build so im not too sure why your nexus is doing that sorry

Me neither!

I'll keep digging and see if there is something I'm missing. But I can't seem to find a way to transfer the cloud contacts to the phone memory.

I've got a nexus 5, with stock ROM (but rooted). I've been storing my contacts with google for years. I don't often use the phone book but I haven't notices any issues.

The contacts aren't stored in the cloud solely as such, they merely download to the handset when you hook up to google account, so they are stored locally on the handset aswell.

I've been running multiple droids with ****** roms for ages & on a N5 for months now, I experienced the same issue recently using 2 builds of beta slimkat, but latest 2 releases I got my contacts sync'd again.

Is it a stock rom or you running custom?

Me neither!

I'll keep digging and see if there is something I'm missing. But I can't seem to find a way to transfer the cloud contacts to the phone memory.

The darndest thing I flashed Vanir custom rom on my phone this morning and now everything but my sms messages syncs up so im gonna flash back to slimkat or cyanogenmod to get the full sync back....Are you running a custom rom?

No idea what ROM I'm using, just picked the phone up from the o2 store. So maybe they've flashed it with something custom?

The contacts aren't stored in the cloud solely as such, they merely download to the handset when you hook up to google account, so they are stored locally on the handset aswell.

I've been running multiple droids with ****** roms for ages & on a N5 for months now, I experienced the same issue recently using 2 builds of beta slimkat, but latest 2 releases I got my contacts sync'd again.

Is it a stock rom or you running custom?

Yeah that was my understanding of how it worked but I saw some threads in android forums that suggested it had changed, I might have misunderstood though.

Hmmm thats weird let me do some more mucking around with my setup...going to clear my cache settings and delete bluetooth device in car and reconnect to see if it syncs up everything

Hmmm thats weird let me do some more mucking around with my setup...going to clear my cache settings and delete bluetooth device in car and reconnect to see if it syncs up everything

Yeah I deleted pairings on both sides and re-tried with no success. Haven't yet tried wiping all the phones from the MMI memory though, so that could be worth a go next time.

I deleted all the phones from the MMI and then did the three-fingered reset. On the phone I deleted the pairing and then re-connected the phone to the car.

No joy, it connects fine but still doesn't pull across the phone book. Interestingly the car still had the local cached copy in its memory (that I had manually sent previously) despite the fact that I had deleted the phones. Anyone know if there is a way to wipe phones and phonebooks from the MMI?

Ok what's the firmware version, is it running 4.4.2, check under settings & about menu on handset, you may need an update as stock 4.4.2 was released a little while back to fix camera amongst other bugs.

Ok what's the firmware version, is it running 4.4.2, check under settings & about menu on handset, you may need an update as stock 4.4.2 was released a little while back to fix camera amongst other bugs.

Nexus 5 32Gb
Build: KOT49H
Android version 4.4.2
Baseband version: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
Kernel version: 3.4.0-gadb2201

I've tried searching for updates but it says none are available.

Is this the latest build?

That's latest stock yes, so should work fine.

Ok, thanks. I have another nexus 5 I can borrow to try and see if the fault repeats itself. If it does I guess the next step is to take the car into Audi and see if there is a Bluetooth firmware update for it.

I doubt its a N5 issue tbh, I have 2 here :)

Could need an mmi upgrade, but yeah take in to check for any svm upgrades.

Try installing slimkat latest release 3 & see if this fixes the issue, its fairly simple to do, install philz touch recovery 6 & then install slimkat through recovery menu, doesn't get any easier for ****** roms :)

Reactions: mjcourtney
Thanks for the tips. The car is going in for its first service next week so I will mention it and see if they can update anything. :)

Quick update. Tried the phone in another car (not an a3) and it worked fine including pulling over the phone book. I also tried a second nexus handset with my car and the same problem occurred, couldn't read the phone book.

Therefore I'm narrowing this down to requiring a firmware update for the car Bluetooth.

Hopefully the garage will do this foc at the service.

Sounds very much like it is an update needed for the car. However I don't know how often Audi releases their updates to make the MMI compatible with more recent phones. On my Ford I could download the latest firmware and do this myself to the Sony headunit with a usb stick, but I don't think Audi allow for this...

There was a Bluetooth update for the A3 released about 6 months ago, but it was for non-tech pack cars only. You could download it from the internet, stick it on SD card and update it yourself. Sadly there has been no updates for tech-pack cars made available online.

I wouldn't be surprised if mine is out of date as it was one of the first SB's in the country but, as you say, it now depends on whether Audi have a newer version to flash onto it at all. Given that some posters in this thread report the Nexus works fine on their A3 I can only assume they already have a newer version of the firmware in their cars (or, my MMI is faulty).

I had slightly the opposite issue, in that my contacts aren't stored with Google, but with a second account (MS Exchange sync).

Prior to Kitkat, everything appeared fine, but afterwards the car was only syncing a "Me" record which is presumably coming from Google, as I've never put anything in there manually. I found that by going into (on the phone) People -> Menu -> Contacts to Display, and restricting it to only my Exchange account, that seemed to fix the problem. It seems that whatever has changed with KitKat causes the Audi MMI to now only display contacts from the first account synced?

So for those with the Google ones not showing up, do you have another (unused) account which might also be supplying contact data and which is being sent first for whatever reason? If so might be worth trying the above.

Reactions: mjcourtney
Well I just spoke with the local dealer (not one I normally use) about whether firmware updates were covered under warranty etc. I was told that no, they weren't. They also said that only phones listed by Audi as 'compatible' were supported..... yeah, except it would be nice if Audi actually kept that list up-to-date for phones other than iPhones wouldn't it :huh:

So if there is an update for the Bluetooth I would most likely have to pay for it....

I'm taking that all with a pinch of salt until I've spoken to my usual dealer (further away, but they supplied the car and are usually 10x more helpful).

Bit crap that they don't include firmware updates as part of service, especially under warranty!

Isle of Wight. They did offer to test it all if I left my phone with them for the service. The supplying dealer is Slough and I have personal contacts there so I trust them a little more to sort it.

Claim it under warranty, if it's broken you should get the update for free.

Reactions: NHN
I will try that if all else fails, but ultimately if they take the route that it's "not a supported phone" then I'd be stuffed.

I'm sure i'll get it sorted at one of two dealers.

Could try and find a phone that is said to be supported but doesn't work? You said you've tried a couple of phones so maybe there will be one. If your phone works with another car then the phone side of the protocol must be working.

well funnily enough my old HTC One X says it's supported but the audio quality is crap over the a3 bluetooth.... so that's a good idea, I could go down that route! :thumbsup:

Anyone had any joy accessing music over the AMI cable on a Samsung Galaxy phone? Phone and bluetooth were fine but my S3 doesn't show anything over AMI. That was on a custom 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM.

Now running 4.4.2 Kitkat and it's not liking the bluetooth media now either. Any suggestions?

Anyone had any joy accessing music over the AMI cable on a Samsung Galaxy phone? Phone and bluetooth were fine but my S3 doesn't show anything over AMI. That was on a custom 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM.

Now running 4.4.2 Kitkat and it's not liking the bluetooth media now either. Any suggestions?

Change your phone:):) - only joking..