1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And another!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Section' started by livingetc, Jan 18, 2005.

1. livingetc

livingetc New Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Hi everyone new to this but on my second A3.. I need to pick someones brain as having problems. I have a Y reg, A3 Tdi, 110 and it doesnt like the cold. First thing on a morning only if i have to de-ice the car it has a complete paddy, it starts up begrudgingly but then every instrument light clicks on and off for about 5 minutes, which resets all the clocks. It doesnt show a fault and as i say only does it when there has been a frost. Its in the garage at the mo and there wanting to replace the whole instrument panel which i wont authorise as i dont think its the instruments more the power getting to them. Audi of course put me in my place for trying to diagnose the problem, but im wary they replaced the gear box and clutch on my last car and then admited it hadnt solved the problem and had been a mistake. Please has anyone got any ideas or experienced the same problem, i dont want to resort to putting a blanket on her every night??? Help......
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. livingetc

livingetc New Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Thanks for the welcome. I just dont feel confident that its the instrument panel thats having the problem, im no mechanic but ive got it into my head that its a power fault, as it only happens on start up when theres been a freeze. Have you ever heard of it before??
  4. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Well, my DIS is currently knackered on my S3, with the only solution being to replace the whole instruments cluster. And like yours, it's worse when the weather is cold, and gets better when the car warms up?!?. But since its not effecting any systems on the car, and I can switch the DIS off, haven't bothered fixing it. Not sure what the extent of the damage you have on your instruments though.
  5. livingetc

livingetc New Member

[Jan 18, 2005]
    Oh no poor you an s3 aswell!!! Its weird i would have thought if it was damaged it would have shown up at all kinds of times, audi have said it will cost £500 to replace it to tell you the truth if it doesnt cause further damage not having it done i dont think ill bother we'll be over the worst of the frost soon!! Slightly cheesed though ive only had it a month (private sale) and it did five days after id got it, dont know about you but i really couldnt sell a car on if i knew it had a costly fault!!
  6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 19, 2005]
    I'm afraid to say tha if the instruments cluster/DIS is knackered, it's knackered, not even warm weather will cure it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif