An idea regarding front suspension

a3lucky

Reaction score
Website
www.eastcoastdubs.co.uk
I was thinking earlier about the lack of camber adjustment on the front suspension on the A3 chassis. Anyone who is familiar with mk2/mk3 Golf suspension will know the front struts have the ability to adjust camber through two pinch bolts that connect the strut to the hub. Theoretically, as long as the ball joint and track rod end tapers and driveshaft splines are the same on the hubs then it would be possible to use mk3 Golf struts on an A3.

Has anyone tried this before? Any comments?

Thanks.
Bryn.

I guess it could be technically possible knowing just how interchangeable most VAG stuff is.

I think it's most likely to work if you used VR6 hubs, as they have 288mm brakes and 5x100 PCD as standard.....

Clever thinking, but I'm not sure HOW much adjustment mk3 hubs offer?

I'm currently using LCR struts, TT steering rack, and a TT eibach ARB under the driveshaft on my A3, and will be fitting S3/TT cast wishbones at some point to increase camber and castor.

My vr6 used to max out at about -2.5 degrees on the front which is plenty for road use. Might be worth getting a hub and trying it. Late mk3 top mounts are the same as mk4/a3 items so shock height should be similar. I will have to compare the installed length and the angle of the steering arms also. But i can't see any reason why it couldn't be made to work.

Do the track control arms on a vr6 mount under or over the hub steering arms? TT/S3's mount the track rod end under, A3's mount over. Under is preferable for dialling out bump steer.

Late mk3 stuff is VERY similar to A3/mk4 stuff, so it's quite possible it could work.