1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An annoying problem.....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by MrTackalakalaka, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MrTackalakalaka

Hello ASN

Everytime i have to steer hard at slow speeds (almost....and full lock) the car seems to jolt really badly. Occasionally the traction control light comes on and the car won't accelerate for a while and will suddenly kick in.

Normally happens when I'm turning out of a junction. Its not every time but quite common, especially on one particular junction. I never gun it out of the junction, just go at a sensible speed.

Anyone else had this before?

What could it be?

Next time i arrive at the junction ill turn the traction control off and see what happens.

Cheers

2. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I had this when running 18" x 8" wheels at ET25. Since I've. Changed back to standard wheels its been fine.

What wheels/spacers do you have?

3. MrTackalakalaka

ahhhh i see!

I have 18 x 8.5 wheels.
    15mm spacers on the front, 25mm on the back.

Used to have new style RS4 wheels on with no spacers and still did it.

4. Westy

It was only on full lock when mine used to have the issue. It's not a big problem just a little annoying. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5. MrTackalakalaka

ok thanks for that!!! yes annoying indeed! haha

the worst is when you pull out in front of a car thinking "i can make that!" then your car decides to stick at 10mph while you watch the car you have just pulled out on come closer and closer to the back end of yours with an angry face appearing through the glass

6. dancupra225

dancupra225 Member

turn off esp lol

ribbon in the steering wheel might be gone

7. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

It's not the dreaded haldex clutch seizing / getting stuck on is it?

8. Westy

It wasn't on mine. The car was designed with wheels of a specific size and offset and by changing that just upsets the turning circle on full lock.

9. MrTackalakalaka

Hmmmm. I get a weird thing where sometimes if i slow down for a corner and the accelerate away i get like a thud/bang and a jolt come from the car. Ive always wondered what that was.
    Someone mentioned drop links as a possibility but i wonder if its connected to that at all?

If it were to be something with the Haldex, is it an expensive replacement?

10. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

Dunno. The low speed problem is probably what Westy said.

When was your Haldex fluid/filter last changed? It never hurts to be over cautious and change it regularly. It's an easy DIY if you can raise the back of the car up and you buy the special tool.

To replace the haldex clutch is a bit of a pain/expensive I think - so best to look after it. Look at the Haldex threads - but this might not be your problem.

Liam