1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An A6 as a taxi?

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Taxidaz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Taxidaz

Taxidaz New Member

[Jan 5, 2012]
    Hi all new to forum

I have fallen in love with the A6 it looks very exec with good lines etc. Im looking at my options to see if this would make a good taxi/semi exec car for use in a busy university town in Scotland? The Company which I work for is a bit up market and we look after some high end clients so was looking for a car which would not only be comfortable for passengers but also for me (as it is my office) :). Was looking at the 2.0 on a 09 or 11 plate but was toying with the 2.7 tdi but feel it might be a little on the thirsty side? So was thinking 2.0 tdi until I have read the horror stories about oil pumps failing and writing off the engine at a tune of 10k in some cases if turbo's shot too!! So what's ur thoughts, risk the 2.0 or the less economic 2.7 tdi? The taxi trade is of course business use anyone know audi's warranty cover for such a car use? Cars I have looking at range from 15-22k for 2.0 tdi will keep for two years then trade in cus 100k miles over this time is easy!! Anything to look out for regards 2.7 tdi. Surely second hand Audi is better then new ford or vauxhall?

Cheers in advance

Daz
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. elan2s

elan2s Member

[Jan 6, 2012]
    Hi and welcome to the Forum. One of the drivers at a local taxi firm ran an A6 (c5) for quite a while so there is a precedent. The 2.0 engine used in the A6 was changed at the time of the facelift for the 09 model year which was around September 08 so any car on an 09 plate onwards should be a facelift model and many 58 plates as well. From that point there were two 2.0 diesel engines one with 136bhp and one with 170bhp (the single previous one was rated at 140bhp). The lower powered version was known as the TDie and (in manual form) set-up to deliver improved economy. As I understand it the oil pump issue and blown turbos were on the 140bhp engine and not on the newer ones (but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!!). I have a manual TDie and so far (30k miles) it has not put a foot wrong. Given that you are in Scotland and the potential for inclement weather you may want to consider a Quattro in which case you are restricted to the 2.7tdi of the models you list. Also be aware that the front wheel drive A6s with automatic boxes all have the multitronic gearbox and these are not well known for their reliability. Quattro's have Tiptronic which are more reliable
  4. crispin

crispin Member

[Jan 6, 2012]
    if you're thinking 2.7 TDI you should consider the 3.0 TDI, almost same mpg and great engine.....having said that I don't do the miles you do but quite economic.
  5. Taxidaz

Taxidaz New Member

[Jan 8, 2012]
    Ya I have been looking at the 2.7 and a wee glance at the 3.0. I spoke to a sales rep at Dundee Audi and we discussed the mpg I would be expected to get? He recommended for me to look st the urban fig as this makes up a large percentage for the work I would do. I would feel the 2.0 136 bhp to be a little underpowered? I don't know since not driven one I did test drive a 2.0 a line spec ed and what a car, if I had the 25k in my pocket at that time I would have driven it off the forcourt! Lovely car, only down size is the size of the tyres 255/45/19's !!! 134 quid for the chespo's and 250ish for expensive ones, I will have one, glad reliability issue is resolved!! How much is minor and major service typically, don't want long life as I want to prolong life of car and the work it does will need lots for tlc bearing in mind I could cover 5k a month!! Was hoping I could get a package deal 10 services bundle?

Cheer
    Daz