Amount of oil use....

vf949

Reaction score
How much does your A3 1.8T, 1.8T Quattro or S3 use between services or per thousand miles?

next to nothing.

though Audi state some silly amount is "acceptable"

something like 1 litre every 1K miles. But feel free to check.

There's been a thread about this in the newer A3 forum.
My car has used 3+ litres in 7000 miles.
Some report more,some report less.
It's all very vague.
I believe the manual does state 1 litre per 1000 miles in within normal tolerances,which is ridiculous.
Practically a two-stroke car.

The manuals (mine) actually state 1L per 1,000Km, my engine before the problems I had was burning about 1L per 2,000Miles. Since AmD sorted it, it has not burn't enough oil to warrant topping up in 6,000Miles and the oil still looks pretty new.

oh my car's an S3 APY by the way.

Got a new engine fitted to my darling S3 and since then I have done 9000 miles and only had to top it up with 1/2 a litre. The previous engine was very good and rarely had to top it up.

not filled it up yet after 18 months. The dealer filled it at the last service, but since then it's used nothing

They can use up to 1 litre for every 1000 miles i think. Always check your oil, i posted about this a few years ago.

I think i must be somewhere close to the limit as i am putting roughly about a litre in just over every thousand+ miles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and its costing me a small fortune. Does anyone know why it uses such an unusual amount of oil? As audi's qoute seems very extreme for a car, so they must be confident that no major damage has occured to the engine to cause such a high use of oil. Is there actually anything that can be done to reduce the amount of oil used?
Thanks

Aaron

well I found a new short engine, reconditioned head and a new turbo helped... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

not the cheapest solution to the car burning some oil though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

i change the oil on my car every 5k but the level does not move on the disptick from where i fill it up to.

[ QUOTE ]
well I found a new short engine, reconditioned head and a new turbo helped...

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is the best solution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. But will probably cost you as much as half the price the car is worth.
But i am still curious as to how audi can qoute such a high figure and not deem anything wrong with the engine?

Aaron

Try owning a 2.8 - it is very thirsty. It seems acceptable to put in a pint per couple tanks... which is under 500 miles. So 1 litre at least per 1000miles... and every car I own seems to use more than the average so I am throwing down Mobil 1 at a rate - relative to the 1.8T anyway.