amk or bam

ty160

s3 tys
Reaction score
hey all just looking to buy a s3 again after having to sell mine a year ago which was a 2003 reg i was just wondering is the older engine more reliable than the bam after tunning cheers??

Tuning potentials of both amk and bam are identical, the amk is said to be the better one though i think

Ive only ever heard of them being equal in tuning terms. Obviously the bam is the facelift so will have some things better, but the engine is the same. Do a search as there was a big thread a few months back.

haha tune up to the same, one has thicker gudgeon pins which will make erm no difference at all to ya haha

i personally went for the BAM engine as i generally like to have the newest version i can afford at the time :)

BAM is better....get a Revo remap and you'll be a happy bunny

Not all facelifts are BAM

APY - 11/98 - 09/00 Pre Facelift 210bhp | AMK - 09/00 - 04/02 - Facelift 210bhp | BAM - 08/01 - 05/02 - 225bhp

APY AMK BAM all remap to the same power.

Get which ever has been looked after :)

Ive got a facelift amk with a stage one map. I think they are slightly cheaper on road tax. But I may be wrong there.

out of interest what are the bam owners paying for road tax??

AMK

Insurance Group 17 Euro Emissions Standard III CO2 Emissions 223 g/km Road Tax Band K

Insurance Group 17 Euro Emissions Standard III CO2 Emissions 223 g/km Road Tax Band K
Yeah mines an AMk. I was under the impression BAM enngine fall into the higher tax band. Anyone know?

you dont let car tax dictate what S3 you buy, they cost a lot to run regardless, if you run into the heavier banding you could end up paying £415 per year if the government insist on the change

yeah pretty sure the bam falls into the next category. Dont worry about the engine code, just buy the newest, most low milage one you can.

The threshold for the price hike that may come in is 225 g/km...

The amk is 223 due to 210bhp

The Bam is 226 due to 225bhp, typical really...

If I was looking to buy another/return to an S3 that still wouldn't deter me, I'd look for the newest lowest miler I could find...

Not the old 'tax band' discussion again???

Taken from the Direct Gov website.. (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524)

Band K*, CO2 emission (g/km) - 201-225, 12 months rate = £245.00, 6 months rate = £134.75

*Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006

Until the government think they can get away with, 8L S3's will be band 'K'

Anyhoo... both BAM and AMK engines use 20mm gudgeon pins, tune up the same and are essentially the same engine (and car tax is the same currently) so don't let that prevent you from getting the right car...

AMK and BAM are facelift.... Mines an AMK and has tuned up ok so far...

<tuffty/>

Last edited: