Amk or bam

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2001 audi s3 and when he got it he was told that it was a bam engine and in the v5 it says bam but when u look at the engine stamp it say amk why would this be? It hasnt had a engine change so we can rule that out.

2001 S3's are AMK, BAM came in 2002 although there are a few BAM's registered 2001 I believe...

I assume the V5 engine number starts with BAM?

Check the label in the boot... engine code should be on there

Alternatively it could have had a head swap... AMK/BAM are known to suffer from cracked heads so it could have had a head swap

Engine number can be found on the block here (circled red)

enginenumber.jpg

It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things as AMK/BAM are mechanically the same

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Roadtrain
Engine number is usually on the V5. If the v5 says BAM and the cylinder head says AMK it's had a head at least.
Makes no odds as they're the exact same engine anyway

If I understand corretly: "V5" is a carachter of UK's cars documents, that indicates engine code type ("APY", "AMK" or "BAM"), but does it indicate an unique code for the original engine too? Or does it indicate "general type" only? Thank you,

Unique number of that single engine? Or a general number?

I can't find on italian documents an unique engine code: is that a carachteristic of UK'documents only maybe? Thank you.

What's the actual difference between AMK and BAM?

Is APY only whitout variable valve timing?

Ok thank you. Istead AMK and BAM have VVT, RGT and wideband lambda both?

APY has no VVT, no EGT, no wideband lambda

<tuffty/>
Wasent aware of the lack of VVT i was always told the APY had a mechanical system wheras the other two have an Electro-Hydraulic type?

Reactions: stevie e
Wasent aware of the lack of VVT i was always told the APY had a mechanical system wheras the other two have an Electro-Hydraulic type?

Both chain tensioner units are hydraulic (Oil pressure) but APY is fixed, AMK/BAM has a valve/solenoid setup to alter inlet cam position

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AdzA3AGU and Roadtrain