AMI Retrofit OR Apple Car Play?

Joe Keegan

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Audi A6 with 3G MMI (DVD Nav, 2 SD and 6 CD Changer in Glove).
I've been toying with the idea of retrofitting an AMI module to give me bluetooth music (from an iPhone) but have thought that Apple Car Play might be an option as a retrofit?

I've had the glove box out and it looks like that there are spare connections for an AMI module which I could then plug an AMI cable into, then either USB-Lightning cable or USB bluetooth for A2DP connection. I think this would be easier but I think Apple Car Play would give me access to much more like auto-updated maps that don't cost extra £hundreds to update at an AUDI service centre.

Complete newb... so... #help!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

Cool thanks for the info. Will the MMI need coded after I install? Or is it a case that the AMI will be recognised if I unplug the CD changer and plug in the AMI. And not recognised if I keep the CD changer.

Also found this one on eBay a bit cheaper, would it work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121852376277

Looks like it but you will then need to by the AMI cables which are included in the listing I've shown. You need to enable the (hidden) green engineering menu, and enable AMI from there. To enable the hidden menu requires VCDS.

OK, I've already got an AMI-USB cable and a USB Bluetooth adapter that supports A2DP (in the hope that I can bluetooth music from my iPhone to the car). Just need someone with VCDS...

Nice! £85 or best offer for that cable. I got it for £65.

Nice. I won a new one on ebay for 99p last year and then sold it for over £100, it's one of the very few times I've actually made a profit on ebay. I Also made a custom one for £60 as I wanted the cable in the centre console just under the armrest.

Check the VCDS section of the forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help, unfortunately I near Newcastle so a bit out of your way.