1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambient Temperature Display

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by justandy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. justandy

justandy Not an S3 owner!

[Jul 21, 2008]
    My bargain basement? (A3 special edition - not SE) does not have the outside temp display switched on, I know it's there, under the clock. (no DIS).

Does anyone know if this can be switched on with VAG-COM, I spoke to the stealers and they are unsure, they think it uses the same sensor that the A/C uses to sense below 5C and disable the compressor.

They are going to have a go on Thusday FOC! Maybe I should get the door warning/puddle lights switched on to.

Andy

***UPDATE***

Top marks to Simon and Darren at Stafford Audi, they tried for over an hour yesterday and had no luck, they put in a request to Audi Tech and got a reply from Germany.....

Seems there is a hidden channel (20) and this is coded to (1) to switch on the display. So off to stafford I went, again, and 2 minutes later success!

They would not give me a copy of the tech report so this is only word of mouth, shame really.

I don't know if this works for cars without aircon, you may not have all of the parts fitted, but if you have aircon it certainly works.

Andy
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    As far as I know if you don't have the full DIS you can't enable the outside temperature guage.

Although I have seen somewhere where you can enable the DIS for cars with DSG. I'll try to dig out the link.
  4. justandy

[Jul 22, 2008]
    My 04 A3 didn't have full DIS but still had ambient temp display, don't have DSG.

Maybe it's a lost cause, it was, I think an option from new, buried somewhere amongst the specs, but it was never in the configurator.
  5. nhowroyd

nhowroyd Member

[Jul 22, 2008]
    My car is DSG but I didn't know it was DIS as I have no controls for it..... If it is possible to activate the DIS I would be happy...
  6. justandy

[Jul 24, 2008]
    There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you how to activate the DIS on DSG cars, it involves fitting a new indicator stalk with buttons to use the DIS and some re coding with VAG-COM.

The local dealer tried for an hour to activate my ambient temp display but with no luck, they did however switch on my door warning lights, parts ordered for this mod thanks to Robin.
  7. MarcQuinlivan

[Jul 24, 2008]
    Found this over on vortex;

You can enable the distance to empty bit without buying a new wiper stalk, but you'll need the new stalk to allow you to scroll through the other menus - trip distance, mpg, etc.

8. justandy

[Jul 25, 2008]
    Bump!

see edited firs post ;-)
  9. MarcQuinlivan

[Jul 25, 2008]
    I'll take a look at VAGCOM later and see if I can figure out what that setting is.
  10. phil_w

phil_w Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 10, 2008]
    Many thanks for that post - worked like a charm! Saves me buying parts and cable only to find the sensor already in place!!!
  11. MrTea

MrTea Member

[May 6, 2009]
    Interesting post... I had a feeling all this stuff could be activated fairly easy on the basic DSG DIS although I'm not sure if it would work for my 2005 edition and whether I've got the skills to do it...

..I removed the dashboard on my old car and it was never quite the same again :keule::lmfao:
  12. carbon

carbon New Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    hi,any joy with the codes for all the modes-trip,distance,mpg.

cheers
  13. sicky

sicky New Member

[Aug 29, 2011]
    hello

my car's in getting serviced this week - if i want them to turn on the ambient temp display...how do i explain to them what i want/how to do it etc? i'm expecting them to say it can't be done/they don't know how

can anybody give me the pointers/step-by-steps that i'd need please?
  14. epirb

epirb New Member

[Oct 3, 2011]
    My new to me '05 A3 appears to be a very basic spec as well with no DIS, no ambient temperature display and no air conditioning! Very basic I know but I still love it. Anyway, is there an easy way to find out if it has the temperature sensor fitted? Can you see it or any of the wires without taking the bumper off? I know I could just try coding it and seeing if it comes on but I don't have a cable yet.
    Cheers.
  15. epirb

epirb New Member

[Oct 12, 2011]
    Anyone able to help?
    Also without going off topic, are there any threads for these bargain basement models? I'm interested in doing a double din conversion but can't find any guides for models with the manual heating control/ no climate control.
    Any help is much appreciated.
  16. harvz

harvz Member

[Apr 17, 2013]
    Hi i know this is old thread but im just confused, to enable ambient temp must i install the yellow wire? or is it just coding "hidden channel (20) and this is coded to (1) to switch on the display"? I have dis enabled using vcds and am going to install cruise control stalk and wiper stalk for controls with trip comp