Ambient Light Mod Question....

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Yes, very easy DIY job and does a good job of lighting up the center console and ashtray area...

I can confirm there are pre-marked drill holes.

I'm sure having a sunroof wont make any difference, it will be clear enough once you get the panel off.

Sweet thanks buddy, a nice lazy Sunday afternoon mod then ha! Saw the lights on Ebay for £18.99 delivered and thought hmm wonder how much they are at Audi...£10.24! The stealers come up trumps again lol!

Yeah, that eBay seller is a joke. I got mine from Audi as well.

Apparantly not all have the indentations for the holes but even if you havent got them it'll be easy enough to mark them out and drill them.
I have a sunroof and the hole marks was on mine though, really easy effective cheap mod IMO.

Just checked and marks were there, will be borrowing the drill tommorow! :D

Did you go straight in with 7mm drill piece or did you drill a smaller hole and then build up to 7mm? (don't want to risk cracking the plastic you see)

Cheers

Just a quick question, does anybody know if having a light cluster like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-1999-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a03198162

can be changed to fit the facelift ones like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-1-8-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a4c3a4a46

Many thanks

Err not to sure Mike but looking at them I would probably say no as for starters the first ealier one looks smaller and the facelift is one big unit...

Completed the ambient light mod tonight, super easy very effective. Although randomly the led lights on the light unit from audi I ordered aren't symetrical.. one is aimed higher and the other lower.. Odd... but still works fine and lights up the centre console. I used an 8mm hole in instead to make sure it would be enough for both of the leds... Nice one :)

A bit random but I dreamt about this mod last night lol, my car somehow already had it done but wasn't working, had to resolder something back in place and it worked then I was on a plane lol. Just thought I'd share that with you lot :)

This looks like a nice easy effective mod. Think i'll pop to Audi on Monday. Any chance they have them in stock or will it need to be ordered ??

no it won't be in stock unless ur really lucky, it's not a stock item... but came the next day so no worries there.... yeah it's cool and blinking easy to do. just take care in drilling not that it's difficult.

err no will take some, thing is it's such a sublte glow/illumunation it'll be hard to catch the effect on camera ... but can certainly take a pic of the lights when they're on a night. (them come on with sidelights/headlights) seriously just do it it's a really nice mod.

Im sure I had this as standard on my A4, anyone know why it wasnt in the S3??

I will be looking to do this mod, as its effective and cool at the same time :)

Tempted by this, but just worried about how professional the "drilled holes" look . . .

Do the LED modules poke/push through into the drill holes or sit above it?

sit above, the holes just allow the focussed light through, if you remove the panel you will see two ducts which is exactly where the holes should be, make sure you use a sharp drill bit and lightly sand afterwards, even if you make a bodge the holes arent really visible..... as the bulkhead slants upwards towards the top of the windscreen

I didn't even sand mine afterward it looked fine. and very OEM. Just make sure you make a good indent in the centre before u drill so the drill piece doesn't slide about while ur drilling it.

just checked mine and i have the marks so il do this mod i think :)

Are these leds up near the rear view mirror? if any fitted? or below ashtray area?:think:

Up above the interior mirror towards to front.

Just to clarify, are they on all the time when the headlights are on or do they just come on with the interior lights?

only come on when the sidelights or main beams are turned on.....

This is turning into 20 questions...sorry lads!.

I have red lights under the ashtray area that light up the centre console! will look near the mirror now but dont recall any??

No not at all... in fact you wouldn't even notice there on the way you face them. You only see the effect it has on the armrest, gearstick but again it's subtle...

I have red lights under the ashtray area that light up the centre console! will look near the mirror now but dont recall any??

Thats because you dont hve them :)

Just popping to Audi to order my part now :)

The bloke from Audi quoted 10 pound something for the part so it'll be a really cheap mod. I bet Audi used to charge a lot more for it as an option too :)

I'll order the bits and do a thread on it when I have them.

There are already a number of threads fella, just add photos to this one.

Will do, I'll be doing it over the weekend I'd have thought.

Doesn't really give you an idea of what they look like from inside the cabin fella, just where stuff goes and how to's.