Amateur tweak/mod thread

That's alright mate I don't do much at work so got plenty of time on my hands done a quick Google search and the guys on the Nissan silvia forum seem to think they are a good kit so go for it. How much they selling them for? Oh and make sure you get the correct bulb. I think they are h1 on the a3.

Yeah im going for the 6000k 55w H1 bulbs with ballasts, just the installation will probably be a little more tricky, will upload pics anyway, haha me to im at work with not much to do but look for things about the car!

They are cheap haha at £15.19 i like to think myself a bargin hunter lol always get cheap parts never had any issues yet!

Can't go wrong at that price I only paid about 36 for mine. Get yourself a cone cutter installation will be a lot easier with it. As for ballast take the wheel arch liner out and tuck it up behind the wing there are a couple places to screw it to up there. Have a couple spade terminals handy to just in case. I cut and shut the wiring in my headlights but that was because the bulb connectors were causing me issues anyway.

Being bored at work is bad for my bank balance. Thankfully I can't get on eBay so that helps haha

I cant get on ebay as its blocked ***... im unsure what spade terminals are? how would they make it easier? issue im thinking of is making it air tight so the lights dont condensate and ruin the bulbs aswell!

Appreciate your help on this spartan i will probably come back to you for more info when they arrive if i struggle! i hope your dont mind that is!

That's alright mate glad to help. The reason for the massive hole Is so you can get the bulb through the back cover. The kit will have a grommet on it to fill the hole in and make it air tight again so no need to worry about condensation. I'll stick a picture up of the spade terminals in a sec. As I say my bulb connectors were arcing causing my lights to ****** about which is one of the reasons I put the hid in in the first place. You may not need to do the same.

This is what I'm talking about.
d625440add3d0fcff1565e463e59abd1.jpg

Good morning spartan, long day at work again? I have these I was confused with the name spade terminals, basically crimps out two wires and input them together? Which wires would need to be crimped? Have I got to cut the old wiring? And that's a relief so I'll need to cut a hole in the back of the case? Then feed the lights through and use the grommet to make it air tight if I'm not mistaken?

Good morning. Yep last day at work then 2 weeks off so all good. That's it mate just crimps the wires. If you do need to put the terminals on you will need to cut the wiring but keep the old connectors just in case you ever decide to remove the hid. There's 2 wires to the back of the bulbs can't remember the colours but one is live and the other is neutral. The one that goes to the centre pin on the bulb is the live one.

You will need to cut a hole in the cover. The kit should come with some destructions on where you need to cut etc.

Ayfreetree, they seem to kill everyone's fun! Can't believe that I'd hate it if they tried to do me over and take my car off me! Tints I've heard people usually be getting pulled for them, someone I know took a fine for having the back ones illegally tinted didn't even know that was possible told him not to accept the fine! But they was like they'll take him to the station and all this idiots or what!

Lavis, I'd definitely recommend doing it takes max 10mins just pulls out wrap it and put it back in, mine was damaged and just makes it look a little better.
Never heard of rear windows being illegal, mine were limo black and they never even mentioned the rears, besides vans don't even have rear windows most of the time, so I think they were just pushing your mates buttons.

Reactions: JohnStan725 and tomjol
So I received my HID Kit 55w 6000k yesterday and took a few pictures for people looking to do this, thanks to spartan for helping me with the process. for thoses looking to install an aftermarket kit and unsure how very simple the red cables goes to the yellow one terminals plug straight in, the black cable goes to the brown same again terninals fit right in.

IMG 20150727 WA0013
IMG 20150727 WA0005

A whole was cut using 22mm.

Reactions: EXSpartan36
Few more pictures was going to put a guide up but I believe someone has already done this.
IMG 20150727 WA0004
IMG 20150727 WA0001
IMG 20150727 203213

Only used adhesive pads and stuck them on the back of the casing for the time being but need a good location for them as they don't seem to have much length. Huge difference in light though went for a drive at night and lit up the road! Not like before could barely tell my lights were even on!

Nobody has flashed me yet! Spartan how did you pass the mot? Was the beam pattern no different?

The beam pattern is exactly the same as its the lense in headlight that creates the pattern not the bulb.

Fair enough! Thanks spartan!

Next up I'm going to be removing the lower dash and repairing the Lateral Acceleration Sensor G200, as when I scan I'm receiving a fault and esp is always on! Went sliding across the road the other day nearly lost it...

Yeah it's no fun when the esp is on car doesn't run as nice which sucks... Ouch what sort of engine bay issues? only issue I have in the engine bay is a fault for the EGR, will be looking at a fix for it just need to do some research!

Mainly boost issues. Rebuild the pcv system, replace all the boost control devices, clutch flywheel, ignition coil wiring harness, pas problems, A/c condensor replace, all boost hoses, air leaks in the intake, the list goes on lol it's nearly there tho. Fitted cruise control a few weeks ago to.

Wow sounds like you have been busy spending that money haha! Sounds like alot of issue how do you know if your losing boost? My clutch is on its way aswell do you fit it yourself?

Damn no way that's one thing I've always wanted specially when I'm travelling long distance, on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult was the cruise control to install?

The car was a shitter when I got it but I got it cheap and knew most of the problems so weren't a big issue. The car felt flat when putting my foot down plus I had a lovely smell of oil in the car. Coupled with my fuel trim being to high, fuel system to lean codes and boost fault codes. Those issues are finally done.

I do all the work myself so didn't cost nearly as much as it would have taking it to a garage. with the clutch I sacked off the dmf and fitted the g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch. The parts worked out cheaper than just replacing the clutch on the dmf and it feels so much smoother.

Cruise control is really easy to fit as long as you don't mind re pinning the ecu. In fact if you don't have a turbo car I think it's even easier as there is only 1 loom to fit. Could be wrong tho. Plus you need vcds to programme it which is straightforward. I paid £99 for the kit and took about 3 hours to fit but I weren't rushing.