am i crazy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 117185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117185

Okay so I love my R, the only part of it I don't like is the sound. I've got a res delete but I'm still not happy with it, it doesn't sound authentic and exotic enough for me.

I bought my R back in January of this year brand new, with a 5 year warranty and the spec in my signature, pretty much all options, for £32770. It's the best car i've ever owned, it is just the sound which lets it down.

I've been looking on trader and I would like to replace it with an audi rs3. It'll be a 2015/2016 plate. I do like the new facelift but the exhaust and the engine on it has changed, and the consensus is that the facelift sounds much more artificial than the pre-facelift. theres no more crackles and pops, even with the sports exhaust on the facelift when comparing to the pre-facelift and if i was to do this, i'd want the best sounding exhaust as possible as thats the whole point in swapping.

I've been offered £24100 in PX for the golf, I think i'd be on at getting £26k private sale for it though given the options and the extended warranty. There is an RS3 on trader with almost all the options i'd like, other than the sports exhaust, but that can be fixed with a miltek or something similar for less money and an even better sound.

question is, is it really worth it to take £7k loss over 11 months for a car which, when tuned, will run very similar 0-60 and very similar quarters? there is 2/10th of a second in the 0-60 and half a second in the quarter mile.

one of the pro's is that the rs3 will hold its value much better than the golf will. even with the golf taking a good hit, i think im going to be lucky to get 22k for the car when its 3 years old (thats what id be hoping for with a 2 year warranty remaining and a whole host of options). The RS3 i've got my eye on is priced up at £33500, only slightly more than i paid for my R, on a 15 plate, 12 month warranty and 14k miles. this car again has 5 grand worth of options on it. I would think that the rs3 would probably lose at most 1-2k over a year of ownership at this age, but I think the golf will lose another 3 grand over the next year, and even more in the following year, so that kind of offsets the £7k i'll lose from swapping.

people always say the rs3 doesn't handle as well and understeers but this isn't a concern of mine as i don't track the car and i rarely drive my cars to their limits where i'd see the effects of understeer.

the last concern is the running costs. its slightly worse on fuel, i'd be expecting to see around 30mpg on a run compared to 36 or so from the golf. the biggest concern is the "rs tax". so servicing costs. I believe a major service can set you back £700-800, and brakes being quite a bit more expensive.

what are your thoughts guys? cheers.

If you have the money then do it, the RS is obviously a step up from the S3/R but if you are uncomfortable writing that money off I’d say stick with the R.

The thing with cars is that there is always an itch to take the next step and more times than not you take a hit in the pocket.

In 2 years there will be a host of other cars that’ll take your fancy, new S3’s, R’s or even a move into a real sports car rather than hatch.

If you have the money then do it, the RS is obviously a step up from the S3/R but if you are uncomfortable writing that money off I’d say stick with the R.

The thing with cars is that there is always an itch to take the next step and more times than not you take a hit in the pocket.

In 2 years there will be a host of other cars that’ll take your fancy, new S3’s, R’s or even a move into a real sports car rather than hatch.

The next step beyond an rs3 would be an f type jav (the 4wd variant, either the 335bhp S, R or SVR). If when that time comes, id hope that power wouldn’t be as high up on the cards for me and be more into the badge and class and an S model being enough haha). Nothing else really takes my fancy

The next step beyond an rs3 would be an f type jav (the 4wd variant, either the 335bhp S, R or SVR). If when that time comes, id hope that power wouldn’t be as high up on the cards for me and be more into the badge and class and an S model being enough haha). Nothing else really takes my fancy

I like the look of the F types, may be an S4, I like the RS3 but the cabins are a step down S4’s and up and I don’t think they warrant the price tag.

When my commute reduces I’d be very tempted by F type or a Cayman.

I like the look of the F types, may be an S4, I like the RS3 but the cabins are a step down S4’s and up and I don’t think they warrant the price tag.

When my commute reduces I’d be very tempted by F type or a Cayman.

Have you owned an Alfa yet? The Guila Quadrifoitalianjibberish looks great

Yes, I think that to change a car because of the sound is mad.

Enjoy your Golf!

Reactions: RichardT and Jassyo06
They do look good, be interesting to see how they are reliability wise over the coming years. A friend had a Brera before moving to a Cayman, silly things like wheel bearings would fail on a regular basis. Probably the best looking hatch made to date though.

Okay so I love my R, the only part of it I don't like is the sound. I've got a res delete but I'm still not happy with it, it doesn't sound authentic and exotic enough for me.

I bought my R back in January of this year brand new, with a 5 year warranty and the spec in my signature, pretty much all options, for £32770. It's the best car i've ever owned, it is just the sound which lets it down.

I've been looking on trader and I would like to replace it with an audi rs3. It'll be a 2015/2016 plate. I do like the new facelift but the exhaust and the engine on it has changed, and the consensus is that the facelift sounds much more artificial than the pre-facelift. theres no more crackles and pops, even with the sports exhaust on the facelift when comparing to the pre-facelift and if i was to do this, i'd want the best sounding exhaust as possible as thats the whole point in swapping.

I've been offered £24100 in PX for the golf, I think i'd be on at getting £26k private sale for it though given the options and the extended warranty. There is an RS3 on trader with almost all the options i'd like, other than the sports exhaust, but that can be fixed with a miltek or something similar for less money and an even better sound.

question is, is it really worth it to take £7k loss over 11 months for a car which, when tuned, will run very similar 0-60 and very similar quarters? there is 2/10th of a second in the 0-60 and half a second in the quarter mile.

one of the pro's is that the rs3 will hold its value much better than the golf will. even with the golf taking a good hit, i think im going to be lucky to get 22k for the car when its 3 years old (thats what id be hoping for with a 2 year warranty remaining and a whole host of options). The RS3 i've got my eye on is priced up at £33500, only slightly more than i paid for my R, on a 15 plate, 12 month warranty and 14k miles. this car again has 5 grand worth of options on it. I would think that the rs3 would probably lose at most 1-2k over a year of ownership at this age, but I think the golf will lose another 3 grand over the next year, and even more in the following year, so that kind of offsets the £7k i'll lose from swapping.

people always say the rs3 doesn't handle as well and understeers but this isn't a concern of mine as i don't track the car and i rarely drive my cars to their limits where i'd see the effects of understeer.

the last concern is the running costs. its slightly worse on fuel, i'd be expecting to see around 30mpg on a run compared to 36 or so from the golf. the biggest concern is the "rs tax". so servicing costs. I believe a major service can set you back £700-800, and brakes being quite a bit more expensive.

what are your thoughts guys? cheers.

All the questions your asking/Man maths included tells me the RS3 aint for you mate and stop kidding yourself about the new engine in the RS3 it sounds awesome and even better with the sport exhaust optioned,l drove the TTRS roadster and it sounds unbelievable,also driven 2 pre face lift RS3 's but l also think 397/367bhp is too much for the UK roads,keep yer golf

and the RS3 has much higher running costs when used as a daily driver

Reactions: ice_cube99, KenL and TYb
turn off the sound actor (just disconnect it, costs nothing)
fit a non resonated cat back (800-1200 quid, a lot cheaper than any new car)

will sound great.

Just can't get out of my head how Alfa's used to be in the 80's & 90's
Don't really think the quality & reliability has moved on much either
Like @jassyo06 says, £70k for a Fiat ? Madness !

Reactions: Jassyo06