Alternator replacement

is this something that a novice could realistically do? I'm getting the feeling that it is pretty straightforward?

that might have helped. Its a 2002 1.9tdi 130.

Suggestions from other poster about grinding in steering and on idle leads me to believe the alternator is the problem....sounds frightful at the moment

remove the plastic engine shroud and then start the car, with a long handled screwdriver put one end onto the alternator and the other to the little lump just infront of your ear hole and push the driver handle against your head and the alternator, if it is the alternator you'll hear it up the shaft really loud.

if its not the alternator try probing around until you can hear it get louder, just watch out for the belts.

Had a good look and listen this evening. Got the bird to turn the steering wheel and the metallic squeaking that it made had the belt attached to the alternator jump like mad. So I think the squeak is the belt rubbing while jumping. It does look like something is catching so whatever that belt is connected to has to be the problem, but the grinding noise does come from the alternator area I think.

How much am I talking for a new alternator then? It would be great if that was it just to get it sorted.

Well got it sorted anyway...alternator pulley was the culprit...she's all nice and tight again :)

Although turns out I need a front passenger suspension arm doing...will it ever end ;-)