1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator - HELP!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by landopanda, Feb 23, 2011.

1. landopanda

landopanda Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    Hi, Was happily driving along when the battery light on the DIS came on. Carried on driving and the wipers got slower and slower then the ESP light and ABS light came on. Only couple of miles to work so carried on. Just before I got there the dials on the dash stopped working. Got to work and the car wont even get close to turning over.

What is wrong? Battery? Alternator? or something else? Would really appreciate some advice as I have no idea... :(
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

[Feb 23, 2011]
    Thats what happened when my alternator when, but my wipers when really really fast on the slowest setting. The car sends what ever voltage the alternator has to the more important parts on the car when the alternator is going as far as I no, thats why my windows and radio and dials wouldnt work but lights wipers were really fast/bright.

If you can get the car started, in the climate control there is a setting which shows the the voltage within the system, should be about 14.4v and around 13v with all the electrics on IIRC. Do that or test your battery voltage before you go spending money but it does sound like your alternator.
  4. landopanda

landopanda Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    :( big job on one of these?
  5. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

[Feb 23, 2011]
    No, I did mine in the dark lol, was going away to London the next day so had no choice.

Take the plastic tray off infront on the inlet mani.
    Then take off the belt (serpintine belt) which goes over the alternator pulley by using the tensioner to untension the belt.
    Then its just 2 13mm bolts on the side at the back of the alternator and unplug the electric connector and it ready to come out.
  6. LD3

LD3 Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    Exact same symptoms I had when my alternator went-dash lights went and clocks stuck,I was on the M4 at the time. Bought a brand new 120amp one off eBay for about £120.
  7. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Feb 23, 2011]
    Yes the Battery light will have come on, if the alternator is goosed, check the connector first, car will run without a battery once started...
  8. DavidW

DavidW Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    I've never done it but it doesn't look a difficult fix, it's right there on the front of the engine and looks reasonably easy to get at. I did one on a Corsa once though that was a real pig, had to take the engine mount off cos the belt ran around it!
  9. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    I had the battery light come on and I thought it was the alternator it turned out it that one of the metal strips in the wee black box above the battery had blown out might wanna check that first!
  10. steve bain

steve bain Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    How do you get climate control to show voltage? That sounds useful.
  11. S3BN_H

S3BN_H Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    good point just take your time to check everything over,, get the car running of a booster pack or old school jump and test over the battery with volt meter, should get a healthy 14v ish,, if its lower or nothing then check the cable back, as said above could be as simple as the conection at the alternator itself corroded,,
  12. S3 TAM

S3 TAM Pocket now empty

[Feb 23, 2011]
    does it have to be 120amp or will 90amp do?
  13. LD3

LD3 Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    My local Audi had Bosch 120amp Eurpoarts did Lucas recon 90amp. Personally I bought a brand new 120amp as I have heated seats climate on all the time etc. Check what your existing is as-some have 90amp
  14. LD3

LD3 Member

[Feb 23, 2011]
    S3 baby-have i seen you in Shortlands area-baby seat in the back?
  15. S3 TAM

S3 TAM Pocket now empty

[Feb 25, 2011]
    Maybe you have but not with a baby seat in the back. I drive in to Bromley and Orpington a couple of time a month.
  16. Piester

Piester Member

[Feb 25, 2011]
    I had similar issues a few months ago. Bought a new one off ebay for £110 delivered from Rotating Electrics which is basically identical to the OEM one (normally £290 + VAT). Just make sure you get the one with the clutch type pulley as the original specs for the S3 were supposed to have a non clutch pulley, but they changed it before production. Annoying as I had to send mine back first time.