Alternator Gone

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hi guys, ok well my car packed up on me yesterday. Lost all electrical power and stopped on me. After charging the car with the AA man it would only drive like a mile before switching of again. So first obvious problem was the alternator (especially since this hasn't been replaced). What I wanted to is is can I just order the alternator kit from Audi and get my local garage to fit it? If so do I need to order any new wires or connections for the alternator or would all the bits I need come supplied with the new alternator?

One more thing, any idea how much a new alternator is? Cheers :beerchug:

Bosch 120amp should be about £180-£220, or you can get exchange units for a lot less. Don't order it from Audi as it will be twice the price and it's just a Bosch unit, Audi don't make alternators.
You won't need anything else, maybe the belt would be worth changing at the same time.

I work in parts trade mate, I can source you an alternator if need be... Just PM me..

Well i just been quoted £300+vat inc labour to replace my alternator. I see on euro carparts its £167.20. Apparently he only likes to fit genuine audi parts (210+vat).

Does that sound right?!

Dont buy an altonator mine went the other day and you can replace the bushes and important gizmos in a box that just bolts on top for about £40 good as new. look in a hynes manual!!!

Been there done that. If you're going to replace the insides, make sure you do a proper job or you'll just end up buying another one at some stage and wasting money.

I learned the hard way, buy cheap, buy twice.

Dudes, half the "genuwine" parts that you get at the main dealer, are exactly the same from Euro's or GSF etc.. just get the best one, for example, Bosch, LUK, Sachs etc etc.. if you call up any VAG parts desk they all use these brands, but just put the VAG stamp on it.

You can get your old alternator brushes refurbed for cheap - have a look into this.

Been there done that. If you're going to replace the insides, make sure you do a proper job or you'll just end up buying another one at some stage and wasting money.

I learned the hard way, buy cheap, buy twice.

Nothing inside the alternator needs replacing its called the brush holder/ regulator module and its a 5 min job once the alternator is off the car, SIMPLES! When i bought the part it had HC CAR GO written on the box and i thought mmmm not good , when i got it out the box it had BOSH written on it . So you guys go ahead and waste your money if you like, I'm only telling you why the alternator is so exspensive from new... because it can be seviced .:end_of_discction: