alternator/fan belt removal 2 tdi blb engine

andy16vturbo

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to remove the fan belt from my 2 litre tdi? Need to check the tensioner pulley. Cheers

Just behind the alternator pulley, there should be the tensioner pulley, you should be able to move that with a spanner (it's on a strong spring) and hold it to release the tension and remove the belt.
In relation to your other post, you can test to see if the pulley is ****** by moving the steering while the car is stationary, the vibration will be louder and the steering pump will make a noise. I replaced the pulley on my golf recently, it's not too bad a job but you need a special tool.

Last edited:
cheers for the reply.

the pulley im looking it is difficult to get to. ive tried getting an adjustable on it but i reckon it would be easier getting a ring spanner on it. any idea what size it is coz the room available isnt ideal for trail and error.

also, is it ok to breifly run the engine with the belt off to see if this elimanates the noise?

Like I said previously mate, the easiest way to test it is to move the steering. If you still arnt sure, load the alternator ( by turning everything on ) and turn you A/C on, then stick you head in and get someone to turn the steering. When mine went, you could tell instantly from inside the car as the pitch of the noise changed with any load. That will save you having to take the belt off in the first place.

ive had my missus turn the steering wheel and it didnt make any difference.

the reason i want the belt off is to listen to the engine alone with no nothing else been driven so i can rule out the oil pump being ******. i can then check the condion of all the other components.

i appreciate the tips mate, but i need the belt off to check weather my oil pump chain is failing or weather the air con pump, tensioner pulley, or anything else is failing.

im gonna make a tool at work to reach but i need to know what size the hex head is on the pulley