Alpine into A4, whats needed?

Strick

Reaction score
OK fellas, i have a 97 A4 with a Gamma head unit. Looking to put a CDA9831R in and just wondered what else i need. Obviously i need the two infill bits for either side of it, are there different quality ones available? Want ti to look as good as it can tbh. Do i need any form of wiring adaptor? Someone said i would need a "link cable" (?) as the rear speakers are amped. Is this correct?

Problems only occur if you have Bose with the amp as I have an aftermarket and rear speakers work fine.

You can get iso adpaters - Im sure Andy mac will be along to advise you on whats best.

Your A4 may not have a `ignition on` wire as many Audi`s use the Canbus system- I didn`t so just wired (fused) it a to a bolt near the steering wheel.

Strick, you'll need fascia adapters (to fill the holes either side of the head unit), order these from your local Audi dealer as the aftermarket ones are terrible, especially the Autoleads ones which don't fit at all, need filing down and then they stick out at the top. Audi ones are about £11, but they need to order them in takes a couple of days.
You can either link the rears directly to the crappy Audi rear amp (bolted to the rear left speaker) in which case you'll need the RCA adapter (or speaker input adapter if your HU does not have RCA's), or you can run new speaker cable front to back and by pass the Audi amp. I'd go the second route as the sound will be infinately better from the Alpine internal amp. To do this though you'll need to either cut the Audi speaker loom, as it is only wired for fronts, or ideally buy a male and female speaker loom plug/socket and then you can plug straight in. If the Alpine has it's own front/rear speaker loom you could also cut this to give you the rear feed.

Top reply!! Thanks muchly. Will get onto the local Audi dealer tomorrow then and get the adapters ordered. We did think we may have to re-wire the rear speakers so thats no biggy either.
Thanks for such an informative reply.