Alpina D3 is ordered!

Japper said:
Mini's are common...........especially in Aberdeen that sells more than any other area, but try and find two the same,

That's a good point, but the flipside of that is that it makes looking for a used one a ****** nightmare!
I've been looking at used ones for the wife, but she's very specific.
Wants red, but doesn't want stripes etc.etc.
She'd be happy with small alloys, I think they only look good with big ones etc.
That's the trouble with 'bespoke' cars, they only really suite those who order them.

Anyhoo, you're more than welcome to a shot in the D3 Japper, I'll give you a shout when it's here.

bowfer said:
Anyhoo, you're more than welcome to a shot in the D3 Japper, I'll give you a shout when it's here.

Thanks, look forward to it mate.

Does the D3 use run flats or std. tyres on the 19" rims ?.

marriedblonde said:
Normal tyres on the D3 :) I ditched the runflats on my coupe within a couple of months of owning it!

J.
Does it have space for a spare ?

I got a 1-Series Coupe brochure and it mentions that because of the run-flats, there is no spare, and the space is occupied instead by the battery.

mfspen said:
Does it have space for a spare ?

I got a 1-Series Coupe brochure and it mentions that because of the run-flats, there is no spare, and the space is occupied instead by the battery.

The D3 will come with a compressor and tyre gunk then !

Japper said:
The D3 will come with a compressor and tyre gunk then !

I don't mind that, my brother's lowly Punto has that.
Arguably, it's better than one of those godawful space-savers.
Like a three legged cat that someone has glued a matchstick to.

Bowfer,

I must admit I like the Alpina D3......was looking at the touring model. Its a looking nice car. Are you getting it locally? Quite a few ppl from Aberdeen on here, surprised :)

Mike

Thinking of a remap already eh Bowfer......I seen ya, lurking on other forums!!

If you find one, let me know. Gonna get me that D3 despite the dealer being a fool.....

thewallboy said:
Thinking of a remap already eh Bowfer......I seen ya, lurking on other forums!!

If you find one, let me know. Gonna get me that D3 despite the dealer being a fool.....

A remap on the D3 !. It's weakness at the moment is it's laggy low down. A remap is likely to make this more noticeable.

No remap available for the D3, allegedly.
Someone tried, but the mapping company said it was at it's optimum already and couldn't be improved upon.
I didn't notice the lag on the test drive, although testers do mention it.
I've been used to 'DSG delay' for the past three years, which is a kind of lag.
Being a manual, I'll be able to use the clutch to get around it.

bowfer said:
No remap available for the D3, allegedly.
Someone tried, but the mapping company said it was at it's optimum already and couldn't be improved upon.
I didn't notice the lag on the test drive, although testers do mention it.
I've been used to 'DSG delay' for the past three years, which is a kind of lag.
Being a manual, I'll be able to use the clutch to get around it.

Apparently BMW are releasing a 205bhp ish 2ltr twin turbo diesel engine next year. Unless in fact it turns out to be a twin scroll version of the D3 unit to address this lag.

@ Bowfer. Is the D3 the 200 bhp alpina one? If so that should be extremely quick mid range. Especially with 300lbft of torque from 2000 rpm.

Japper said:
Apparently BMW are releasing a 205bhp ish 2ltr twin turbo diesel engine next year. Unless in fact it turns out to be a twin scroll version of the D3 unit to address this lag.

That's right, but no sign of Alpina doing a version at all.

Luca1, yes the Alpina D3 is 200bhp.

i wonder if a tuning box will add a bit more to the d3,ive decided to get one for mine after xmas,which will take it to around 200bhp.

went to aberdeen bmw yesterday they have a grey met Alpina D3 saloon in the showroom.
I thought there would be more room in the back......:(

Mike

mikey_abz said:
went to aberdeen bmw yesterday they have a grey met Alpina D3 saloon in the showroom.
I thought there would be more room in the back......:(

Mike

If you want room in the back, go for a 5 series.
There's plenty of room in the D3, IMO.
Certainly as much or more than the A3 sportback.
Easily as much as my previous A4 too.

Sorry don't agree with your comparisons Bowfer, A3 SB is a higher up seat than BM 3 and with long legs gives more room IMHO:hubbahubba:

Rick Glover said:
Sorry don't agree with your comparisons Bowfer, A3 SB is a higher up seat than BM 3 and with long legs gives more room IMHO:hubbahubba:

Here are the official figures.

BMW320
Rear headroom 900mm
Rear knee room 730mm

Audi A3 sportback
Rear headroom 926mm
Rear knee room 663mm

So the BMW actually has significantly more legroom (nearly three inches).
But slightly less headroom (one inch)

Sorry maybe I didn't explain but.. The A3 seats are higher which means that whilist the figures you quote are accurate the reality is different cos you sit higher in an A3 and :jester: your feet have further to dangle N to S before you need to consider kneeroom.. Not easy to explain but I'm 1.90m six foot three and I know which I would rather be a rear seat passenger in and it ain't the BMW!!

Rick Glover said:
Sorry maybe I didn't explain but.. The A3 seats are higher which means that whilist the figures you quote are accurate the reality is different cos you sit higher in an A3 and :jester: your feet have further to dangle N to S before you need to consider kneeroom.. Not easy to explain but I'm 1.90m six foot three and I know which I would rather be a rear seat passenger in and it ain't the BMW!!

A/ I don't sit in the back of my own car
B/ I don't know anyone 6'3" tall.
C/ Anyone who moans can walk.
D/ The Taj Mahal.

First the good news, much to my amazement the Alpina D3 is on the company car list, the bad news is that it is £100 per month more than a 320d msport :think:

garypaul said:
First the good news, much to my amazement the Alpina D3 is on the company car list, the bad news is that it is £100 per month more than a 320d msport :think:

Mine was dearer per month too (£480 per month).
Allegedly, it's because the leasing companies have no real idea about resale value, because it's an import and a new model.
Whereas they have tried and tested residuals for the M-sports.
So they're covering their *****, simple as that.
Everyone knows the Alpina will hold it's value, the ********!
Still, if you can swing it, go for it (if you can source one...)
FWIW, John Clark in Aberdeen have a metallic grey one in stock.
BTW, the good news is the D3 won't cost you any more tax than an M-sport.
The P11D prices are practically identical, and the Co2 is the same (156 g/km) too.

bowfer said:
Mine was dearer per month too (£480 per month).
Allegedly, it's because the leasing companies have no real idea about resale value, because it's an import and a new model.
Whereas they have tried and tested residuals for the M-sports.
So they're covering their *****, simple as that.
Everyone knows the Alpina will hold it's value, the ********!
Still, if you can swing it, go for it (if you can source one...)
FWIW, John Clark in Aberdeen have a metallic grey one in stock.
BTW, the good news is the D3 won't cost you any more tax than an M-sport.
The P11D prices are practically identical, and the Co2 is the same (156 g/km) too.

Giving it some serious thought, although the new 320d msport with efficient dynamics only has a CO2 output of 128g/km

garypaul said:
Giving it some serious thought, although the new 320d msport with efficient dynamics only has a CO2 output of 128g/km

They must have changed this in the past few weeks then, as when I was researching both options the 320D M-sport had identical Co2 as the Alpina.
Oh well, it's only 4% more tax for the Alpina.
18% for the 320D M-sport.
22% for the Alpina.
It wouldn't take much in the way of spec changes to the M-sport to completely negate the 4% saving.
Metallic paint £ 535.00 extra.
18" alloys £ 490.00 extra.
Metallic and and 19" alloys are free on the D3.
So, all of a sudden, the £28230 price of the M-sport becomes £29255.00.
The D3 is £28350.00.
So the M-sport actually becomes 3.2% more expensive, for similar spec.
Remember the D3 has an extra 20bhp too...

Have I sold it to you yet..........?

;-)

i dont think you'll get much in the way of discount on an alpina though,where as an m-sport you can get around 10%,£3600ish i got off mine.

As previously stated on another thread, I came within £500 of securing the D3 Touring at Sytner Leicester. Sales man was a numpty. Have deposited on a 330D SE with pretty much everything, nav, tv etc etc. Will miss the Audi as now will never be let out of a junction, but the BMW diesels are superior. Even if Audi did it first, BMW do do it bestter. That is a fact. Argue all you want but just compare the engines on offer in the various classes.

Wall.

thewallboy said:
As previously stated on another thread, I came within £500 of securing the D3 Touring at Sytner Leicester. Sales man was a numpty. Have deposited on a 330D SE with pretty much everything, nav, tv etc etc. Will miss the Audi as now will never be let out of a junction, but the BMW diesels are superior. Even if Audi did it first, BMW do do it bestter. That is a fact. Argue all you want but just compare the engines on offer in the various classes.

Wall.

Oooooh, so close..
Can't see you being disppointed with 330D though.
It won 'sports diesel of the year' (in M-sport guise).
The D3 came second.

Well & truely you got a 3.0Diesel so comparing that with your 2.0 isn't fair.

Got get the 3.0TDI of an A4 and see which is superior... call me an Audi "fanboy" but I still think next year will be Audis year with Diesels

I went to have a look at a D3 last week in Solihull BMW, loved the look of the car with the only minor gripe for me being the cloth used on the seats, it was a little too shiny for my tastes but otherwise couldn't fault it, especially love the front damper and those alloys with the instrument clocks looking particularly cool.

Just yesterday I saw a blue one out on the road complete with Alpina side stripes and decals - it had a second glance so thumbs up from me.

emzino said:
Well & truely you got a 3.0Diesel so comparing that with your 2.0 isn't fair.

Got get the 3.0TDI of an A4 and see which is superior... call me an Audi "fanboy" but I still think next year will be Audis year with Diesels

The only experience I have of the 3.0tdi is a Q7 down our street.
I'm sure it's not endemic to all the 3.0tdi fitments, but it makes such a godawful racket in the Q7.
Weirdest car noise I've ever heard.
I can only liken it to a massive, and loud, hoover or fan.
Very strange.
The autobox fitted also seems to take the engine right into a very unpleasant part of the rev range too, which just amplifies the racket to a constant mono-tone.
Showing my age, it reminds me of Volvo 343's fitted with the CV transmission.