Alloys

Markon

It's my birthday
Reaction score
So whats everyone running? I'm looking to change mine but can't make up my mind what I want. It seems to be very hard to find 5x100 alloys too. Now I know everyone says the best alloys are the original Avus onces which I am going to refurbish when I get a new set. Post some pics of what you are running to give me ideas, My car is silver so maybe something darker like a grey?

I don't think the original Avus rims are best, but I think if they look good on standard cars. On Silver cars, Imprefer grey/anthracite coloured wheels.

Like so.
jen60th001.jpg

Reactions: moisty, Markon, Tj 0785 and 1 other person
Have to agree for silvers I like a dark grey colour. Those look amazing on yours are they sportec mono 10s? I think I've been looking at those and some bbs SRs. What size did you go for?

There also seems to be a lack of choice for 5x100 alloys too.

Have to agree for silvers I like a dark grey colour. Those look amazing on yours are they sportec mono 10s? I think I've been looking at those and some bbs SRs. What size did you go for?

There also seems to be a lack of choice for 5x100 alloys too.
This car belongs to fingermouse! Lol

There's little choice on new stuff for 5x100, need to go old skool and buy used. BBS LMs, RS2s or RCs in 18" work, mk1 RS6 5 spokes work, oem RSTTs?

Reactions: fingermouse
I've just fitted these to my s3 they are bbs rs2 they came from an Audi TT they are 5x100

Reactions: IPG
Some nice wheels in here! Love fingermouse alloys tho and the bbs lm's are quite nice also. I've searched through that thread loads too in the past but not looking at alloys.

Reactions: fingermouse
OZ Superleggeras or mono 10s for me look well. Not a fan of silver on silver or even gloss black I prefer Matt colours like the grey or brown/gold

Satin finish looks good too, dark is definitely the way to go imo.

Have the chance to buy some Japanese racing 11's whats peoples thoughts on them? dark grey colour im just not sure the way the alloy sits further out than the tyre almost like a stretch

Have the chance to buy some Japanese racing 11's whats peoples thoughts on them? dark grey colour im just not sure the way the alloy sits further out than the tyre almost like a stretch

I'm a big fan, I've been looking at a set myself... I think in 18" on the S3 they'd look great, especially if in a decent width/offset.

This look of stretch you talk of?... Yea, that's stretch! With a properly sized tire you won't get that.

The JR-11 is very similar to XXR 527, and there's plenty of pictures of S3's running them on the googlings for a bit of inspiration...

I'm a big fan, I've been looking at a set myself... I think in 18" on the S3 they'd look great, especially if in a decent width/offset.

This look of stretch you talk of?... Yea, that's stretch! With a properly sized tire you won't get that.

The JR-11 is very similar to XXR 527, and there's plenty of pictures of S3's running them on the googlings for a bit of inspiration...
I think they look great but from what i've seen they alloy has like a lip that protrudes out from the tyre. My good year eagle F1s have that rubber that protrudes out further than the alloy to protect them the JR11's look like they have them on the alloy itself if you know what I mean, thats just asking to be kerbed thats my only worry with them.

edit: either every pic I see people are running stretched tyres on to make it look like this or thats just the way the alloys are suppose to look

Examples
Maxresdefault
10496053 1611746275713375 5621506509014773824 o
1654538 1009017455791692 3274188501771194170 o

id love any of these to be honest
Porsche twist alloys which are impossible to find and expensive.
Sportec mono 10s but same as above
Oz supperleggera easier to find but not in the colour I want And finally those jr11s but not keen on the dish/lip on them otherwise they are nice.

I'd say all of the pictures have severely stretched tires... On closer look of the rim though, you're right, there is a bit of a lip.

From experience, the whole dished rim with stretched tyres is aweful for handling, but does look good as a compromise.

Stretched tires are indeed horrid for handling... I ran a 215 on an 8J (only really 10mm of stretch), and they were terrible in the wet.
Dished/concave rims won't make a difference to handling though

Reactions: Mav190sline, jojo and IPG
I'd say all of the pictures have severely stretched tires... On closer look of the rim though, you're right, there is a bit of a lip.
With properly sized tires that incorporate a rim protector (i.e. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2's) it might not protrude or stand out...

With properly sized tires that incorporate a rim protector (i.e. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2's) it might not protrude or stand out...

This did cross my mind also, as a lot of modern tires have decent rim protection... However if you look at this link, on the pictures further down the page, there is quite a bit of a protruding lip.

Still, so long as you don't drive/park like a girl, it shouldn't be a problem! :tongueclosed:

Might be worth having a look on the Japan Racing "model view" page (link here) at the exact size and width of alloy you're after, cos it seems to vary...

The 17x8.25 I'm looking at appear to have no protrusion at all:
https://japanracing.modeview.com/pl/presentation/ceb84feece6d9be0

Where as the 18x8.5 seem to have quite a bit of a lip:
https://japanracing.modeview.com/en/presentation/95a75b7003550d3a

This has me interested in them again I think! The ones I got offered were 17's too the pictures he sent did look to have the lip but he was running stretched tyres. Only problem is i'm unsure if I will have problems clearing the front brake calipers.

What size, rim width and et you got on here?

18 x 8 ET35 with 20mm spacers on rear and 10mm front. Thinking of going 30mm rear & 20mm front. The pic of the car I posted above with Bronze Superleggeras is running 30mm rear & 20mm front.