Alloys: RS4 or RS6?

Alloys: RS4 or RS6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dm-2

A3 1.6 Sport
Reaction score
I know it's been covered before but the old posts don't have photos anymore so I thought I'd get the debate going again! I was originally going to go with RS4s but they really seem to be everywhere these days. I've also noticed a good few without their centre caps so I guess they get stolen? Anyway, it'd be great to get a definitive answer to the age old qusetion of RS4 or RS6 and pics would be great if you have them!

Here is my A3 on RS4 replicas. I still think the look the best audi wheels and really suit the 8L Cars.
e1a9db31.jpg

rickquattro said:
I have done both on the same car but on balance I think I prefer the RS4's...

Rick

Have to admit the 6's do look the dogs danglies
but
Just out of curiosity - which came first???

The RS4's came first, then another set of the same then the RS6's. Both are 18"s, the RS6 have 3mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. The rears need 5mm skimming off them as they just rub on two bumps along the A701....
All from Rochford..
Oh, and the nasty lexus lights (top pic), are long gone..

Rick,

Thanks for posting the pics, do you have a side view of the RS6s? Also, when you first got 18s, was it an absolute necessity to get it lowered or did the car look ok? I have an 01 1.6 Sport and really don't want to do any lowering.

How come 2 sets of RS4's then a set of RS6? I had some RS4's on the Golf and 1 alloy had 2 cracks so the whole set had to come off!! Probably made in a chinese sweat shop

Aky, the sets of wheels that I had were all fine. Inevitably over time they get kerbed so when I get tyres, a wheel/tyre combo is good value especially if I get a some cash back by selling the old ones on...

dm-2 Here you go...

stuff090.jpg

The RS4 shot is on standard sport suspension, not lowered. The RS6's are 25mm lower still.

As you say you have a 1.6 sport, the suspension I guess would be fine, BUT, the 18's weigh 25kg per wheel/tyre.... so thats 100kg on your car... Wider tyres are slower or reduce mpg a bit... what about your 1.6ltr performance....?

Thanks for that Rick, well it's good to hear that I won't have to lower the car but as I'm currently running 15x6 OEM alloys, I imagine a jump to 18x8 would definitely affect the MPG and general performance of the 1.6. As for choosing between the two, I still can't decide. Check out scoTTy's pics half way down the page of this post:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6468&highlight=replica

It was these pics that got me thinking about RS6s in the first place!

Of the 2 sets featured I prefer the look of the RS4's, although I have a set of new RS4's on mine...

Rich

dm-2 said:
Thanks for that Rick, well it's good to hear that I won't have to lower the car but as I'm currently running 15x6 OEM alloys, I imagine a jump to 18x8 would definitely affect the MPG and general performance of the 1.6. As for choosing between the two, I still can't decide. Check out scoTTy's pics half way down the page of this post:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6468&highlight=replica

It was these pics that got me thinking about RS6s in the first place!

My car has 18's and it doesnt have any noticable effect on the performance..........its still slow as **** lol

Rick,

Yeah the TT looks incredible with the RS6s but i'm thinking maybe they look better on the TT than the A3?

jcs,

The new RS4s are great on the S3 but I don't think a normal A3 pulls them off as well.

rodenal,

Are you driving a 1.6? Not many of us 1.6 people on here! Did you notice a lower MPG? Did you get away with not lowering it? Any rubbing etc?

dm-2 said:
I imagine a jump to 18x8 would definitely affect the MPG and general performance of the 1.6.

Not sure how different wheels would affect MPG? I mean the diameter of the wheels including tyres remains the same doesn't it?

Smaller wheels - larger tyre profile
Larger wheels - smaller tyre profile

I thought the only difference bigger wheels made was that you can "feel" the road more.

As you can tell, I haven't really got a clue. I'm not into modding wheels but having looked at the pictures here I prefer the RS6. The RS4 don't look quite "right" - the spokes are a bit in your face.

monkeytrousers said:
Not sure how different wheels would affect MPG? I mean the diameter of the wheels including tyres remains the same doesn't it?

You're right, the rolling radius will remain the same but that's not the whole story. I'm not 100% sure myself but from what I've read it's down to the added weight of the alloy wheel itself. I haven't actually weighed my 15x6 wheel but I'm nearly definite that it's a good bit lighter than the 18x8. Then of course most replicas are heavier than their OE equivalents anyway. Thirdly, the fact that the tyre is 2" wider means greater surface area in contact with the road. These three things require more power to turn the wheel and as a result, use more petrol, therfore will lower MPG.

dm-2 You're right said:
I think thats it... BBS CH's are almost 5kg per wheel lighter for the same size as my replica rims... rolling resistance is increased with a fatter tyre and they need more welly to turn a heavier mass...try pushing two similar cars with different tyre widths...

To be honest i noticed no difference in the mpg either, my car doesnt seem to be right tho i get a max of 32ish mpg, and thats taking it easy, generally get 28ish and i do mainly motorways.

Didnt lower the car, although im planning to now, if your car has done a few miles then the springs will have sagged so you should probably be fine.

If not then the wheels may look a bit small in the arches, but its not too bad looking

Yeah im a 1.6, i dont find it too bad to be honest its fairly torquey, just a bit gutless overall.

No rubbing or any such problems that ive noticed

rodenal, do you have any side view pics of your a3?

hmmmmm might do ill have a looksi

jcs356 said:
They are Brembo Junior GT / Leon Cupra R ones

Yeah they the same as mine, but them discs sure do look the business! :wub: were they with the calipers or did you get them seperate?

ok, best i could do - ignore the blue bumper lol, that was shortly after i smacked my gate reversing out of my drive.

Also by the looks of it that pic was taken after i got 2 new springs on the front, so if you look at the back then that will give you a better indication of the gap, that was at about 70k

2569508960a2899278474b282982848l.jpg

Oh, my car is also a sport so has the 25mm drop when new

Booth_S3 said:
Yeah they the same as mine, but them discs sure do look the business! :wub: were they with the calipers or did you get them seperate?

I got the callipers, discs and pads all second hand with very little use off eBay. I assume they are the standard Brembo discs that come with the kit? I do know that they are very expensive - hence a lot of people use the Cupra R ones as they are about half the price (but they are just ventilated, not drilled or grooved).

Thanks for that rodenal, the gap does look big on the front but seems fine at the back. I have the Sport too so mine should be the same as yours.

I think that seals it for me, ordering 18" RS4s on Eagle F1s in January, thanks everyone for all your help!

dm-2 said:
Are you driving a 1.6? Not many of us 1.6 people on here! Did you notice a lower MPG? Did you get away with not lowering it? Any rubbing etc?

Im a 1.6 driver to, I think theres a few of us on here we just hide out the way and let the proper engines get on with it?:thumbsup:

Jaywoo, it's good to know that there's a few 1.6'ers out there!

The thing about alloys is that no matter how nice a design they are, they only look good when they're clean. The more elaborate the design,the harder they are to keep clean, & the less the owners will be bothered to clean them.

Keep it simple, because nearly always, less is more. Audi's best alloy desgin was the 5-spoke 16" Competition fiitted to the B5

followed closely by the 17" Star fiitted to the B6, and Donald McIver's RS6 rim.

After that, everything else is just complication for it's own sake.

rs6's for me, nice and easy to clean! i do em every morning, gotta say big brake conversions and new rs4's look good together too.