Alloys question / survey: Replica's vs OEM

Rob_17

Reaction score
Hi all, new to site.

Owing to a baby on the way i've chopped in my Z4 coupe for an S-line special sportback. Really pleased with the car after initially not looking forward to getting rid of the 'batmobile'!!

Anyways first things first, there are a few bits and pieces i'd like to do with the car - nothing too major as kinda of a fan of the subtle tweeks. But first on the list are the alloys - the car's got the standard 18" 5 spokes currently and i'm keen on getting the black edition / RS4's on it (I know alot seem to be doing it, but really think they look great) so what's the consenus / pro's, con's.. for replica's against the OEM wheels. Cost obviously a major one!! But if going the original's route anyone know an approx going rate?

All the best, Rob.

I think if you are going to upgrade the alloys for RS4 style then it has to be a decent quality replica in 19" format, the ones on the BE are 18" like your current wheels so you wouldn't gain a great deal looks wise. The absolute best I've seen in the RS4 rep is the VMR 708 (Do a search on here) but you are looking at @ £999 from Niche Conversions but they are stunning and as close to OEM qulaity wise as you will get, alternatively the most popular option on here is either BBS CH or CK, Phil at PW Motorsport will be able to help you out with these.

If you definetly want to stick with 18" for ride quality and tyre expense I'd suggest scanning E-bay or the classifieds on here for some OEM, a guy posted a thread entitled something like "IBis out, Sprint Blue in" a couple of days ago - he bought an S BE but put some BBS straight on the car, may be worth sending him a PM to see if he ewants to sell or PX the originals. Good luck

Z4 coupe's a sweet motor, your gonna miss it, but the sportback is lovely too. Which engine you get? get rid of those horrid RS6 5 spokes asap!

The V708s are lovely. I'm trying to exercise a bit of restraint after my recent purchases but at some point later in the year I really want a set of these or BBS CHs.

As for the Z4, I had the 3.0 Roadster and its far and away the best car I have ever owned. I absolutely loved it, the sound was fantastic, it was faster and yet much more economical than my A3 and I loved (still love) the looks. I like my A3 a lot but I'm nowhere near as passionate about it compared to the Z4.

Those VMR wheels are gorgeous, not cheap at £999 when you consider a set of BBS CK can be had for around £850 but they look very OEM and the dish and finsih are spot on.

I'm a BMW fan too and the 3.0 engine is an absolute gem, amazing how fuel efficient the 6cyl BMW are, I had a 130i for a while and it was a joy to own. The A3 will be practical and hopefully a nice place to spend time due to its interior, give it a while and perhaps a Z4 35i can be next :)

Haha - funny you mention the Z4 35i i was behind one on my way home.. couldn't help wind the window down for a listen!!

Don't get me wrong i'm getting into the A3, and it's certainly got it's plus points over the Z4 in many respects... few tweeks to get it a bit more rapid and i'll be even happier!

As for the wheels, those VMR's are the one's, small matter of £999 now :think: