1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloys Offset Query

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Richardesty, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Richardesty

Richardesty loves quattro

[Mar 19, 2009]
    Most places list Alloys for the B7 as Either ET45 or ET35.

Mine came with 18x8 RS6 alloys at ET43.

I know that the ET35 offset will give the effect of an 8mm spacer - but will this effect tyre wear, tracking or handling (in a negative way)?

A wheel dealer told me it would affect all these but I can't see why?

Any thoughts or experience out there?

Cheers

Rich
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

[Mar 20, 2009]
    Sorry but thats utter b*ll*cks. The only effect it will have is slightly increased loads on your suspension joints due to the extra offset. 35's are right on the limit of what you can get away with though, they will fill the arches totally.
  4. Richardesty

[Mar 22, 2009]
    Cheers

Well I've chosen my wheels - just waiting for my credit card cut off date now :)
  5. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Mar 22, 2009]
    That's not stritctly true. There are additional implications. Now I'm not saying these are major and it's often not realised or it's ignored but the dealer is correct.

e.g. How many people consider the impact on ESP? Not many. Some reading this are thinking it doesn't impact ESP.....but it does.

ESP dabs individual brakes to counter certain tendancies when it's been activated. If the points of rotation are not where they were when it was programmed then the result will be different.

As I say, you can pick and choose the impacts as you see fit but acknoledge rather than deny their existence.

p.s. Don't forget to inform the insurer about the change in wheels :yes:
  6. Richardesty

[Mar 23, 2009]
    Cheers Scotty - really appreciate your advice.

The only dimension I'm actually changing from my current wheels is the Offset by a matter of 8mm. Everything else is the same - apart from the wheels design and the tyre brand!
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 23, 2009]
    I am not talking from knowledge, but trying to apply some common sense! 8mm both sides would mean the track (wheels spacings) between the wheels is 16 mm different to standard. Surely that is going to place very different loadings and stresses on the suspension components that was originally designed by the manufacturer? I don't know if thats a bad thing? It might improve it! The RS4's have a wider track for improved handling for example.

I don't know if it may tramline more on a motorway too?
  8. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 23, 2009]
    The geometry issues are very complex.

The manufacturer designs the suspension with certain values in mind. One of these is whats known as the scrub radius, which is the distance at the road surface between a line drawn down the centre of the alloy to a line drawn thru the upper and lower pivot points of the front suspension. Changing the offset alters this scrub radius, which can have negative effects on how the car handles.

It shouldnt affect your tracking by any appreciable amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

The basic outcome of lowering the offset, is you can cause poorer steering control and tramlining, although this can be improved by messing around with your tracking settings.