1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloys decision,help,tyres?

Ryanc Dec 19, 2005

1. recomdos

recomdos Member

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers guys I am quite good in the old photoshop now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to get back into the p'hop, but I'm like Austin Powers when he lost his mojo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheers dude it is getting there now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

I think the real alu mirrors look good, however a mate with not one but two AMV8s on order (and as such pretty good taste) walked over to my car and said "so have you got any other bits from halfords stuck on then?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

That was the first time I realised other people do think there a bit daft, but hey who cares!

3. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

but yes Glen - very nice indeed. Do you mind if I asked what mods you did? Obviously I imagine this entails a major list of suspension setup and stuff, but you could summarise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the suspension?

H&R springs
    Bilstein dampers
    Neuspeed ARBs
    Forge rear adjustable arms
    Lots of negative camber
    Aggressive suspension set-up
    34F/38R tyre pressures
    8" x 18" BBS RSIIs with 225/40/18 tyres
    16mm Forge spacers F & R

...and a lot of playing about with angles, toe, tyre pressures etc...

Nothing magical...just decent components that work together, lots of time and affort, and a good understanding of chassis dynamics and suspension set-up.

4. recomdos

recomdos Member

my apologies mate, I meant overall in general (though very good of you to list your mods to handling dynamics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) I was more so meaning the other things, remap, FMIC? blah blah blah. power figures etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was more so meaning the other things, remap, FMIC? blah blah blah. power figures etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...OK...

Modified airbox with 4" cold air feed from the passdenger side IC intake
    K&N panel filter (usually)
    Samco TIP
    De-restricted / de-silenced and flowed turbo exit pressure pipe (the one that goes round the side of the engine)
    Samco pressure hoses all round with re-routed paths
    DV relocated to just before the TB on the 'cold' side of the ICs
    Forge DV / Viper DV (depending on my mood!)
    Forge custom SMIC for drivers side (same width and height as standard but much deeper and more efficient - and capable of taking more boost)
    Star Performance custom FMIC
    Upgraded engine earthing kit
    Heat insulating gasket between inlet manifold and head
    Water wetter in the coolant
    APR re-map (seemingly bespoke...and very aggressive)
    Choice of N75 (standard, J or H)
    Milltek high flow cats
    Milltek exhaust
    Powerflex dog bone mount
    Brembo GT front brakes

Then all the suspension stuff...

Plus whatever I've forgotten...I had it 3 1/2 years and spend several days a week under the bonnet / car...so I forget exactly what I 'tweeked'.

6. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member VCDS Map User

Sounds awesome what sort of power are you running? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

7. recomdos

recomdos Member

wow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif big list! all very impressive indeed, no wonder it's a beast! I didn't know if you went for a bigger turbo you see. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up - probably took as long to write it as it did to do all the mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

8. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds awesome what sort of power are you running? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On a good day with the standard N75 fitted
    270+ BHP and 310 lb-ft...
    Or
    275+ (sometimes 280) BHP and 330+ lb-ft with either the J or H N75 fitted (it preferred the H)

Still on a standard turbo...peak boost at 1.85 - 1.89 bar...and with inlet temperatures of 20-25 degrees AFTER the turbo...(the benefits of great ICs)

That's on a reasonably accurate rolling road too...not one of these joke dynos that suggests you've got 280BHP / 300 lb-ft from a 1.2 bar map!

[​IMG]

That took years of optimising, 3 re-maps and lots of setting up to get that...

It went well...enough to give the Haldex a real working out.

The trouble is, without a decent chassis, you couldn't use all the power...fortunately, mine was well enough set up to allow full power anywhere / everywhere...as those who have owned it, driven it, or been in the passenger seat, will confirm.

9. S3Steve

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn...I have this info at home...both with and without tyre...

But i'm offshore, and won't be home for 13 more days...

[/ QUOTE ]

Would still like the info on original wheel weights when you get back, cheers.

10. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

Meant to weigh mine but i can tell you they are significantly heavier than a 18" bbs rc .
    From the net 17x7.5 audi s4/tt wheel 28-29lb
    18x8 bbs rc 19.5lb

11. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

if you think the standard 17s are heavy, try picking up a 19" Mille Miglia alloy with a tyre on it!.... I need lighter wheels!!

12. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

I knew it was time for the yearly alloy change jojo.

13. S3Steve

I was considering a set of 19" Khan RSC 2 peice wheels but after speaking to them have been put off due to them weighing in at 18kg each.

14. S3Steve

[ QUOTE ]
    Meant to weigh mine but i can tell you they are significantly heavier than a 18" bbs rc .
    From the net 17x7.5 audi s4/tt wheel 28-29lb
    18x8 bbs rc 19.5lb

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that with or without tyres?

15. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

just the wheel