Alloy wheels....info needed! please help

Hardsy

Hardsy_S3
Reaction score
Hey,

currently own a 99 Pre Facelift S3, looking at purchasing some rims. Can someone tell me the offset, stud pattern etc for an S3. I am looking at getting some 18's. 8.5's for the front and 9 for the rears.. am i going to have any problems with this? It will also be lowered on coilovers.

Thanks,
Nick

its 5x100 et35 if i mind right! i have 235/35/19's on with coilovers an have had no probs whatsoever

Purchasing some 'rims' ??

Would you be needing Chrome Spinners sir, we have a particularly nice line of Giovanni rims, which our sales person Xzibit will be happy to demonstrate.

Dave_Bayern said:
Purchasing some 'rims' ??

Would you be needing Chrome Spinners sir, we have a particularly nice line of Giovanni rims, which our sales person Xzibit will be happy to demonstrate.

rims....as in 3 piece rh split (rims) who says split alloys?

:ohmy:

I was taking the **** out of your use of the word 'rims' instead of wheels. As you are then all 'gangsta'.

Anyway, to answer the question:

You need 5x100 and you can use anything from ET32 to ET44 and they'll fit over the standard brakes.
ET32 fills the arches without the need for spacers, ET44 'might' need 5mm spacers depending on the style of the wheel face.

Sorry mate! lol :) couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

1. would et27 fit?
2. How wide are the standard s3 17's?
3. Would a 9" wide rim and lowered quite a bit cause any problems?

Thanks,
Nick

9" on the front rubs loads.

ET27 would be WAY too wide and would again, rub.

The back would be OK, but the front certainly would not.

Standard ones are 8" I believe.

I would of thought a 9" rim with a 27 offset would be very close to the outer arch especially when lowered quite a lot. Where you planning on doing the stretched tyre look?

I think the standard avus wheels are 8.5" wide.

Yeh ive been looking at some sets of alloys (or rims....!) had 19's in mind, now thinking of 18's and just getting the width right. I'm very keen on the dub scene and the whole euro look, im only 22!! :) umm basically want to find the perfect wheel and tyre combination combining width and tyre stretch on an 18" rim (alloy!)

Cheers for the info dude!
Nick

would getting an 8 or and 8.5" rim with an et27 offset get the desired width as maybe a 9 with the right offset but just obviously a little less dish (with dished rims)

Nick

I love the euro look, you'll find that a lot of people on here go for the OEM+ look.

airride.jpg

More like this i say :jump:

Hardsy said:
would getting an 8 or and 8.5" rim with an et27 offset get the desired width as maybe a 9 with the right offset but just obviously a little less dish (with dished rims)

Nick

I've got 8" wide wheels and spacer'd them out and it doesn't make them look any wider unfortunatly. I'd go for the 9" and try an find the right offset so they don't rub on the arches.

mate....that is exactly the stance and idea of alloys i have in mind. does anyone have any info on this..how much its lowered, width and size of wheels... i am in love with that pic! just poppin off to get it laminated lol jokes!

depends on if its an s3 or 18t as the arches are wider on s3.

stock is 7.5X17 et 32 IIRC. You can then add 15mil to front and 25 mill to rear each side spacers that dont catch or scrub and fill the arches well, so for a "physical fit" you can go at least to 7.5j et 17 front and as low as et 7 rear....adjust for the additional 12.5mill of 8.5j offset and what will be 17.5 mil for the 9j rear.

woah! cant get my head around that!! Cheers for the info, i have a 99 S3. looking at 18's 8.5 front 9 rear, what offsets would i be looking at?! The measurements you have said above would this mean that a wider wheel would still 'stick out' the same as standard due to a different offset?

Nick

The car in that pic is on air ride but it's possible to get a very similar stance with coilovers. Someone on audi sport has done it..

My BBS CH's are 8.5 x 18 allround, they are ET30. They fit fine with no rubbing. Cant say what the 9" rears would be like, you would probably be better off sticking to 8.5" rears and using spacers to fill the rear arch out.

S3Steve said:
My BBS CH's are 8.5 x 18 allround, they are ET30. They fit fine with no rubbing. Cant say what the 9" rears would be like, you would probably be better off sticking to 8.5" rears and using spacers to fill the rear arch out.

i want your alloys :)

i have considered this option but with dished wheels (say LM's) that extra half inch is so much better......so ive been told! :) Ha. Spacing them would achieve the 'sticky-outness' but the true depth of the dish wouldnt be as much.

Good shout though mate

If your gonna go for the 9" rears with a dish, your gonna need an even lower offset than ET30. I think you are gonna need to go for an ET25 on the rears. There are some guys over on tt-forum.co.uk that run 9" rears and i think they run ET25. I like the dished look but remember this will limit the brakes you are able to run.