1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloy Wheel (Star Design)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by wilko, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wilko

wilko Top Gear

Does anyone know a good way of removing a scratch from an alloy or someone who can do it. Curbed it this morning and i'm gutted. £150 to have it repaired by a body shop who send it away for 5 day (so I have to run around on a space saver).

Or does anyone know anyone who'd sell me spare "7.5J x 17 'five spoke star' design alloy??? Then I could use my damaged one as a spare instead of the space saver!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. brandona4

brandona4 Member

I tend to file down the damage first (rim damage) with a nail file, and then go over it with a silver touch up stick.
    Seems to mask it OK.
    Halfords used to do a chrome touch up stick that when dried used to be a great match. What's the betting they do one for alloys anyway.

4. try 'chipsaway' will repair it on your car and will come to you, had one of mine repaired recently cost £50 each wheel and you can't tell it's been done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One things for sure you won't kerb it again ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Wilko, just noticed you too are in the east midlands, I have the mobile no of the Chipsaway guy if you want it let me know..

6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Chipsaway are good. We sue them for all our company cars.They do a good job and come to you to do it.
    I must admit,kerbing alloys is something I'm especially paranoid about.
    When I park,I have to take a bus to the kerb.

7. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]
    We sue them for all our company cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one way of financing your car pool i suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Oops ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

9. wilko

wilko Top Gear

£50 that's gonna be so much easier on my pocket that £150 from an Audi recomended body shop!!

Spin140 if you do have the number drop me a PM with it in that would be much appreciated! I ain't doing it myself... I'd cock it up - prob make it worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

10. wilko

wilko Top Gear

Do you get a garentee with it to say that the wheel wont look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif in a year or so??

11. [ QUOTE ]
    £50 that's gonna be so much easier on my pocket that £150 from an Audi recomended body shop!!

Spin140 if you do have the number drop me a PM with it in that would be much appreciated! I ain't doing it myself... I'd cock it up - prob make it worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

have sent you a PM, only heard good things about them so far, if in 12 mths it looks naff you could always have it done again and still be saving money but think this will be unlikely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

12. wilko

wilko Top Gear

I must admit the website does look impressive.... and as long as they do a good job!!

13. wilko

wilko Top Gear

So come on guys out of the two (WickedWheels & Chipsaway) whats everyones take on them? Who's the best (who's the daddy)?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

14. wilko

wilko Top Gear

I've left messages for both of the above to call me... so lets see who calls first!!

15. lilya

lilya Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ... £150 to have it repaired by a body shop who send it away for 5 day (so I have to run around on a space saver).

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Audi would make you drive around for a week at 50mph max.

I know you've probably found a better deal with the scratch repair guys, but wouldn't Audi lend you a proper wheel, even just a bog standard steel one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

16. wilko

wilko Top Gear

Nowp they said I'd have to drive round on a space saver for 4-5 days! Shocking I no.... they said they didn't have any spare wheels that were my size!

17. richy

richy Member

company near me will do a whole wheel for £30! and match it to make it like all the others..

they also do polishing and chrome..

18. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

19. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

The A4 version is not the same ET as the A3. A4 is ET45, and the A3 is ET54. It will stick out a further 9 mm.

20. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[ QUOTE ]
    The A4 version is not the same ET as the A3. A4 is ET45, and the A3 is ET54. It will stick out a further 9 mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, forgot about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif