1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloy Wheel Measurments? im prob being stupid!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Add7, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Add7

Add7 Member

When an alloy wheel says 8.5 x 18, what does the 8.5 measurment mean?

i just cant think what it could be?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Width

4. Add7

Add7 Member

i thought the width was the 225 (225/40/18 width/height/size) ???? but the outside of the wheel it says 8.5x18

5. Speedo

Speedo Member

8.5 defintely means width of the tyre

6. james_suckling

8.5 is the width of the wheel. So for an 8.5x18 wheel, it's 18" diameter, and 8.5" wide. The other figures are for the tyres, for example, 225/45/18 relates to:

225 = Width
    45 = The profile/depth
    18 = Size of rim that you've got

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

7. Add7

Add7 Member

oh right, thanks for that! i get it now!

il take the blonde wig off!!

8. james_suckling

Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

How he had a job I'll never know.......

9. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

These are the facts, and would think that if you do a search on the internet you'll pull up some nice papers written on the subject along with tyre size calculators and pictures to further satisfy your needs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

10. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, thats what he said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. james_suckling

[ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Gambba, now I've read my post again it could get mis-understood! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif What you've said it what I meant. Kwik-Fit guy said the opposite (if you get my drift).

Ah bugger it, he f**ked my wheel anyway, so even if he had been right, he still deserved the grief!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

12. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    Dude, thats what he said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmmmm nope...please read again..slowly.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The Kwik fit manager was painted in a very good light and made out to sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.....which was obviously not the case, and knowing kwik fit will never be!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif