1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloy Wheel Measurments? im prob being stupid!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Add7, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jun 7, 2004]
    When an alloy wheel says 8.5 x 18, what does the 8.5 measurment mean?

i just cant think what it could be?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

4. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jun 7, 2004]
    i thought the width was the 225 (225/40/18 width/height/size) ???? but the outside of the wheel it says 8.5x18
  5. Speedo

Speedo Member

[Jun 7, 2004]
    8.5 defintely means width of the tyre
  6. james_suckling

james_suckling Member

[Jun 8, 2004]
    8.5 is the width of the wheel. So for an 8.5x18 wheel, it's 18" diameter, and 8.5" wide. The other figures are for the tyres, for example, 225/45/18 relates to:

225 = Width
    45 = The profile/depth
    18 = Size of rim that you've got

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  7. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jun 8, 2004]
    oh right, thanks for that! i get it now!

il take the blonde wig off!!
  8. james_suckling

james_suckling Member

[Jun 8, 2004]
    Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

How he had a job I'll never know.......
  9. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jun 9, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

These are the facts, and would think that if you do a search on the internet you'll pull up some nice papers written on the subject along with tyre size calculators and pictures to further satisfy your needs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

10. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 9, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, thats what he said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  11. james_suckling

james_suckling Member

[Jun 9, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Gambba, now I've read my post again it could get mis-understood! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif What you've said it what I meant. Kwik-Fit guy said the opposite (if you get my drift).

Ah bugger it, he f**ked my wheel anyway, so even if he had been right, he still deserved the grief!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

12. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jun 9, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    Dude, thats what he said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmmmm nope...please read again..slowly.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The Kwik fit manager was painted in a very good light and made out to sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.....which was obviously not the case, and knowing kwik fit will never be!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif