1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloy wheel D.I.Y Refurb

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Paul @ Unit, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Paul @ Unit

Paul @ Unit Active Member

[Aug 13, 2009]
    just aquired some alloys that need little work, have very slight and not deep, scuff marks around the rims, any pointers or anyone have a good guide they can share, imagine it will be only alittle sanding, smoothing them off.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 13, 2009]
    I did mine with great success, few piccies etc HERE :)
  4. Purple Princess

Purple Princess Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 13, 2009]
    I managed to do mine with some light polish and some wet and dry sanding then just a coat of laqure. They were as good as new, however it was fooking hard work!!! an evening each wheel infront of the tv should do it :) Good luck

Ps use poorboys sealer once you have finnished and evey time you wash them...soon enough nothing will stick to them(apart from kerb scuffs :) )
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  5. Paul @ Unit

Paul @ Unit Active Member

[Aug 14, 2009]
    well i got access to ha proper shot blasting machine, like i say just light scuffs round the edges, suppose abit of sanding should do the trick, then blast and paint them, also going to blast and paint some of mt interior parts
  6. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 15, 2009]
    Heres the guide I followed when I had my Punto. Works a treat.

Materials required

- Wheel cleaner
    - Tar remover/White spirit
    - Sand paper (80 and 120 grit)
    - Wet and Dry (400, 800 and 1200 one or two sheets of both will do)
    - Primer (1x600ml can dependant on wheel size)
    - Paint (3x300ml cans will be more than enough for 4 wheels)
    - Lacquer (1x600mls can)

Preparation

As with most things the key to a good job is in the prep work. The wheels need to be cleaned well - this helps avoid clogging of the sand paper and also highlights any damage to the wheels which needs to be repaired:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is to see what damage you have to sort, generally you will have...

1. Damage around bolt hole areas where no care has been taken when re-fitting wheel bolts:

[​IMG]

2. Stone chips:

[​IMG]

3. Kerbing of varying degrees of severity:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to remove kerbing it is necessary to remove the tyres on the wheels. The damage can simply be sanded out using various grades of sand paper. For damage too deep to sand out without maintaining a level finish you need to skim the area with P38 filler then sand as appropriate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The faces of the wheels then need to be keyed using 400 grit wet and dry, the rears i tend to use something more abrasive such as 120 grit as the finish on this area doesn't need to be as good. Remember you need to remove the wheel weights too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painting

Once you're happy that the wheels are properly prepped and you're sure you've gotten into all the nooks and crannies brush the wheels off to remove all excess dust and apply thin coats of primer until full coverage is achieved:

[​IMG]

Once the primer has full coverage and it's dry, gently sand with 1200 grit wet and dry. If there are rough areas, step down to 800 then back to 1200. Next is to give them their colour. Do a test section somewhere to make sure you're comfortable with the spraying action - the custom mixed aerosol cans often have a different spray pattern to those off the shelf. Doing a test section also helps to check that the paint is correctly shaken up, especially in a colour with metal flake in it it's easy to see when more shaking is required:

[​IMG]

Again, very light coats. In between coats you may wish to use 1200 grit W&D to get a good finish, this depends on how much of a perfectionist you are! Turn the wheels around to make sure you have coverage from all angles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the colour coat is dry it's time to wrap up with some lacquer. The same principle again, light even coats until full coverage. The lacquer helps to protect the wheels more against stone chips and also adds more of a shine to them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once you're happy with the finish my advice is to leave them for few days until the paint has 100% hardened then pop them on. You may want to use some wheel wax or wheel sealant to give them further protection.

Job done :thumb:

[​IMG]