Alloy uprights

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Is it better to go for alloy uprights ?? i understand there lighter and easier to change bearings on.

I need control arms as think one was knocking and bushes are not the best i was tempted too poly bush them but think i may just bush new arms.

Are all of the alloy uprights the same ?? Just i was at the vag scrappers in oldham today for a driveshaft for the polo and i noticed some and asked him how much and he said they pretty much all have pinch bolts snapped or seized in them so i can have a pair for £20 and if i cant get them out bring them back.

Yeah pretty much all b6/b7 from what I've seen. You will struggle to get snapped pinch bolt out. Remember that the bolt is steel and uprights alu, so unless you have drill press, I wouldn't touch it. I paid £30 for each with upper control arms. Still had to bin the arms but at least had a bolt head on it.

Last edited:
The A6 ones are the RS4 ones from what aragorn was saying which are different to the B6/7 stuff as they widen the track a few mm which im just concerned at the fact its probably not noticeable to the naked eye and dont want too get one of each. (Part numbers ??)

Surely there not that much off a ball ache to get out ??

I have b6 ones from IIRC 2.4 b6. You would need different lower front control arm to fit them. I think mine are from A6? Allgerman sorted out the whole set for me.

Not sure where the part number is. Will be fitting turbo on to my b7 tomorrow so will have a look.

I found it easiest to remove pinch bolt by using impact wrench and trying to push it out witha spanner. But you need the bolt head for this.

Yeh, C5 A6 and B5 RS4 are the same. B6/7 has some slight variations compared with the B5 ones, but do fit.

The A6 ones have a part number starting 4B3.

The B6/7 ones start 8E0.

All alloy uprights need the C5/RS4 front lower arm.

if the bolts are stuck, clamp it up in a milling machine or pillar drill and carefully drill it out. You can probably do it with a hand drill, but the risk is that you wander off course!