Alloy Fitment - ET

B

Boydie

hey guys

what was the best ET for the 8P? especially when lowered?

i am hoping to get my hands on a set of alloys with these details:

19 BY 8.5
5 x 112 pdc
et 35
235/35 19 tyres

the guy that im buying from had them on his B7 a4 lowered on KW or FK coilovers - looked awesome and as far as i am aware he had no problems with rubbing

anyone care to enlighten me?

All depends on how much you lower it...

I would guess there will be some rubbing with say a 50mm drop with more than one passenger.

doubt i would have it lowered that much to be honest

but that can be sorted anyway

I believe you need an ET of atleast 45 for the 8P. The 18" S-Line rims are around ET50.

I think with a 19" wheel and 235 tyres you will definately see some rubbing on an A3 8P.

whats the standard et on the 8P?

i have 5 spoke 17" alloys on at the minute

your standard et on the s-line 18" alloys on an 8p is 54mm.
You've really got no chance of fitting the wheels with a 35mm offset,even a 45offset will need mods to make them fit.10mm doesn't sound a lot,but in wheel terms it is.

Doa search on eoffset and my username. This has come up a few times in the past.

I'm running 8x18's with a 45mm offset lowered and they do rub. I thought I ad cured the rear rubbing (rear arches) but I got apuncture wednesday before christmas and had to replace both rear tyres, they where both low on tread, and put on F1's and they now rub...

J.

marriedblonde said:
Doa search on eoffset and my username. This has come up a few times in the past.

I'm running 8x18's with a 45mm offset lowered and they do rub. I thought I ad cured the rear rubbing (rear arches) but I got apuncture wednesday before christmas and had to replace both rear tyres, they where both low on tread, and put on F1's and they now rub...

J.

Why not put on 215/40-18 or 225/35-18 tyres and get rid of the rubbing ?

I didn't realise the the F1's would vasue an issue with rubbing, I had cured the problem on the rear arches with the rosso's that came fitted as standard.

Mines lowered so dropping to a 35 profile tyre will mean that the bad ride will just become even worse so thats out of the question. And with a 215/40/18 tyre the choice of makes available is limited.

I'm going to remove the eibachs in the next few weeks so it wont be an issue as I am planning on changing my car in the next few months - need to decide what I want...

J.

ok thanks guys - that puts that wheel choice out the window and what a bargain they were :(

Don't be disgouraged by marriedblonde ;) He has his car lowered 50mm. I dont think there will be any problems on your standard springs or even 30mm springs.

marriedblonde said:
I didn't realise the the F1's would vasue an issue with rubbing, I had cured the problem on the rear arches with the rosso's that came fitted as standard.

Mines lowered so dropping to a 35 profile tyre will mean that the bad ride will just become even worse so thats out of the question. And with a 215/40/18 tyre the choice of makes available is limited.

I'm going to remove the eibachs in the next few weeks so it wont be an issue as I am planning on changing my car in the next few months - need to decide what I want...

J.

I know your changing but the tyre selection is quite good. Continental sport contact or Toyo's are both good.

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/tyres.asp?width=215&profile=40&size=18

mjepson said:
Don't be disgouraged by marriedblonde ;) He has his car lowered 50mm. I dont think there will be any problems on your standard springs or even 30mm springs.

35mm offset isn't even close to the 54mm offset on factory fit 18"s...

Also cupramax (memeber on here) had rubbing issues with his RS4 reps on standard s-line suspension.

J.

mjepson said:
I know your changing but the tyre selection is quite good. Continental sport contact or Toyo's are both good.

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/tyres.asp?width=215&profile=40&size=18

Well the choice is quite limited as I don't rate falkens which only leaves conti's or Toyo's. I've tried the toyo's in the past on 2 seperate cars (mkIV Golf Gti T and my MCS) and they where awful. Great when brand new but as soon as they had a few miles on them they where terrible.

The solution would be to get my whells machined by a few mm to up the offset but I chose the offset for the squat, filled arches look. Like I said it wasn't an issue with the rosso's.

I'll have a look at the weekend to see if there is any more "meat" on the bold holding the arch liner in place to see if I can get the clearance required.

J.

Better to be safe than sorry anyway

i had a madly modded clio before and dont want to go down the same lines of the car rubbing and scuffing

It should'nt be hard to roll out the arches 10-20mm without damaging the paint. Just have to find a shop or someone who has a archroller.

eec192f538.jpg
dcaa0c7058.jpg

i know where to get it done round where i live - but ill keep looking into it and see what happens

did you get your arches rolled?

No, because i just got my A3 ;) Waiting until I get new wheels to see what has to be done.

wheels are a pain in the **** lol

so many out there to chose from and most are too expensive :keule:

This guy rolled his back arches 3cm to fit the 11x18 ET25 wheels with 255/35 tyres. He also has a 90mm drop in suspension ;) Shows what can be done.

main_51224762844844261c6d32.jpg

main_153014365544a18b65bd1d7.jpg

main_69164842044a18b712f756.jpg

looks a bit mad lol doubt id be willing to go that far - looks good though!

Surely you'd be better off just getting your new wheels machined to the correct offset?

nah mate - 20mm is too big to machine from a wheel unfortunately

far too big for my liking and the ride quality would be terrible - they must be 25mm profile tyres!!

Bwe very careful when getting your arches rolled. It's very very easy to crease the arches, when your contemplating this factor in the cost to get the arches corrected at a body shop.

The problem is the metal is very thin and has the fixing for the arch liner attech, this is what causes the creases.

Probably better off going to a body shop first to see if they can panel beat the arches flat.

J.

i purchased some new RS4 reps for my S3, these are ET45 and in 18's.

After putting them on I decided that I actually prefer the standard S3 rims :shrug:

They were purchased from Rochford Tyres, so if anyone wants them cheap just pm me, just want them to go to a good home now

im not going to roll the arches so dont worry

the guy is going to let me try the et35 19" alloys and ill see from there what happens

As said earlier by MB ET35's will stick out way too far. Mine were ET42 and the fronts rubbed on the edges of the arch liner so add a further 7mm of tyre on that and you got quite bad rubbing issues.

thanks cupramax

thats more or less helped me with my decision

dont know what rims now :(

Cupramax said:
As said earlier by MB ET35's will stick out way too far. Mine were ET42 and the fronts rubbed on the edges of the arch liner so add a further 7mm of tyre on that and you got quite bad rubbing issues.

Was your car standard height?
Were yours 8x19? What size tyre?

I guessing Boydie has standard suspension and that is 25mm higher than s-line.

So would you say an ET 35 on a 17" rim with 225/45tyres would cause any probs if the ride hight was completley standard?

mjepson said:
Was your car standard height?
Were yours 8x19? What size tyre?

I guessing Boydie has standard suspension and that is 25mm higher than s-line.

His was standard ride height, an sline 2.0T sportback I think.
He had 18" reps on it, got them fitted to his a4 cab now :)

J.