All windows keep lowering by themselves overnight!

phil-LFC

Reaction score
This happened a few weeks ago for the first time. When we got up in the morning the windows were all fully open with the car on the drive in frosty weather, so you can imagine how damp and cold it was inside. There was frost on the inside of the windscreen.

It happened again a couple of days ago, this time the windows were all open about halfway.

I thought that maybe the key fob had been pressed accidentally and operated the convenience closing.

Last night we were woken by the car alarm going off. Took me a while to register that it was our car as it isn't very loud and I'd never heard it before. I don't know what set the alarm off, but the milkman was outside at the time, about 0400. When I checked the car, all the windows were down again. Both sets of keys were on the dressing table so they couldn't have been pressed.
The car was again damp and a bit smelly this morning. I thought this is now unacceptable so off to my local Audi dealers I went.
I explained it to them and they said they'd try to look at it today. I got a call a few hours later to say it was ready.
When I collected it they said there was no fault and that they have disabled the convenience closing "so it won't happen again".
They even asked if I had a dog or cat that might have pressed the key fob!:wtf:

I'm not impressed, when they called and left a voicemail to say the car was done and just on it's way to be washed I was hopeful. When they told me what they hadn't done and the fact that it hadn't been washed or vacuumed I wasn't too happy. Do they normally wash and vac after any work?

So I reckon this window problem might happen again. If not that's fine, apart from the fact that I won't ever be able to use the convenience opening function again. Do you think they have (forgive the pun!) "fobbed" me off?

sounds a bit of an odd error Phil. My windows have started playing up since the cold weather - but not quite like that.

on mine the one click windows don't work in the front, but they do in the rears. i have to keep the button held down now to open the windows. mine is booked in for 1st March as thats their nearest free day!

Mine did this a while back, No one believed me. Its a fault that pops up now and again if you push the wrong buttons when locking up at night i think if you push lock then unlock and then lock again it opens the windows. something like that.****** pain because i have to wait and double check mine after i have locked it now.

Same happened to mine the first week I got it. Was staying in London at my girlfriends uni house. Plus it's a seriously dodgy area! Oh and it rained.

I think I must have sat on the keys and the convenience open may have activated. I have since turned this feature off and it's been fine.

Well done to Audi asking if it was the cat. Ha.

This happened a few weeks ago for the first time. When we got up in the morning the windows were all fully open with the car on the drive in frosty weather, so you can imagine how damp and cold it was inside. There was frost on the inside of the windscreen.

It happened again a couple of days ago, this time the windows were all open about halfway.

I thought that maybe the key fob had been pressed accidentally and operated the convenience closing.

Last night we were woken by the car alarm going off. Took me a while to register that it was our car as it isn't very loud and I'd never heard it before. I don't know what set the alarm off, but the milkman was outside at the time, about 0400. When I checked the car, all the windows were down again. Both sets of keys were on the dressing table so they couldn't have been pressed.
The car was again damp and a bit smelly this morning. I thought this is now unacceptable so off to my local Audi dealers I went.
I explained it to them and they said they'd try to look at it today. I got a call a few hours later to say it was ready.
When I collected it they said there was no fault and that they have disabled the convenience closing "so it won't happen again".

I'm not impressed, when they called and left a voicemail to say the car was done and just on it's way to be washed I was hopeful. When they told me what they hadn't done and the fact that it hadn't been washed or vacuumed I wasn't too happy. Do they normally wash and vac after any work?

So I reckon this window problem might happen again. If not that's fine, apart from the fact that I won't ever be able to use the convenience opening function again. Do you think they have (forgive the pun!) "fobbed" me off?

Get back to Audi and kick up a fuss mate. If they have to de-active a feature of the car, to stop a problem from coming back... that isn't fixing it at all! There's been a few threads that have come up where people go back out in the morning to find their car with it's windows down. Because of that, I'm paranoid that it'll happen to me so look back 2-3 times to make sure they stay up.

on mine the one click windows don't work in the front, but they do in the rears. i have to keep the button held down now to open the windows. mine is booked in for 1st March as thats their nearest free day!

The 'one touch' can be accidently switched off. This can easily be turned on again. When the window is fully up, press and hold the down button until the window is fully down. Release the button, and press and hold down again for 5 seconds. Then release and do the same for the window to go up again. So press and hold until the window goes up, release, then press and hold up for 5 seconds. This should re-activate your one touch for the windows.

Reactions: plezz
The 'one touch' can be accidently switched off. This can easily be turned on again. When the window is fully up, press and hold the down button until the window is fully down. Release the button, and press and hold down again for 5 seconds. Then release and do the same for the window to go up again. So press and hold until the window goes up, release, then press and hold up for 5 seconds. This should re-activate your one touch for the windows.

You need to do that for each window !

Yea, forgot to mention. Has to be done for each window that's had the one touch de-activated!

thanks Lil_coz, thanks Mike. I'll give that a go later on today. although oddly the front passenger window has returned to normal by itself, so now its just the drivers window only that doesnt do one touch :S i wondered if i had somehow blown a motor or something when i tried to open the windows and they were frozen shut but I cant imagine its that as they wouldnt open at all if that was the case.

Its probably more than likely while holding the button down to open the windows i did exactly what you described...

I love that you guys on here always have a sensible suggestion on how to fix something, but when i took my car into my local Audi service centre they were absolutely baffled and booked me in for a diagnostic next week! (all under warranty so its ok).

I'll let you know how i get on :) shame, i was looking forward to getting a courtesy car for a day!

EDIT - Phil, good luck gettings yours sorted - I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Get back to Audi and kick up a fuss mate. If they have to de-active a feature of the car, to stop a problem from coming back... that isn't fixing it at all! There's been a few threads that have come up where people go back out in the morning to find their car with it's windows down. Because of that, I'm paranoid that it'll happen to me so look back 2-3 times to make sure they stay up.

Cheers mate, I'm just going to give them a call now. Me and the Mrs were discussing it last night and both agreed that Audi are bang out of order to turn something off because it has a fault. I'm not quite sure why I accepted that yesterday, probably 'cos I was in a rush. For them to say it's now turned off so won't happen again and it must have been my cat or dog, that I don't have, is just pathetic. I've just checked the voicemail they left me too, which definitely said the car was going to be cleaned, which is wasn't. So I wasted 4 hours of my day and had to get someone to run me back to the garage just for them to turn something off on the dash.
The car actually smelt a bit rank yesterday because of the windows having been open during the night, so you think they'd have at least vac'd and freshened it up a bit. Sounds like they just couldn't be ***** at all.

I'm going to phone them now and ask to speak to the service manager. I'm going to ask them to re-book it in and let me have a courtesy car this time. It's obviously a known fault after reading lots of similar stories online, but they denied any knowledge of it being a known fault yesterday. Maybe it's because it's my wife's company car that they thought we wouldn't be bothered, but the convenience closing feature is something we do use, especially having kids, and it's also really useful in the hot weather.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll let you know how I get on.

Passats used to suffer from electric window problems like this when water got under the carpet on the passenger's side and soaked the comfort control module. Is the module in the same place on the 8P? When you mention a damp smell, would the car get like that after just one night?

Good point, I'm not sure where the module is located tbh. I'll check the carpet again though.

I sent an email to the Service Manager at Audi and to be fair to him he called me back straight away.

Apparently the car was checked for faults and there was no fault showing in the convenience close module. The diagnostic memory had shown that the last 10 lock/unlocks had been activated by the key fob. I stated that we had not pressed the key fobs during the night, but to be fair I can't guarantee 100% that the button hasn't been pressed between locking the car and putting the keys on the side upstairs, but highly unlikely, as I normally pop my head out the front door at night to check the car. So if the unlock button IS getting pressed, it's getting pressed in for a few seconds (to operate the convenience window open) on my way up the stairs!!?? :ermm:

He advised me to leave the Convenience function off for the next couple of weeks, to confirm that any spurious opening has indeed been caused by that function. I'll do this and see what happens.

I asked if maybe there's a short/dodgy connection on the actual key fob, but he said that has never happened as far as he knows.

So time will tell, but I'm not ultra convinced.

This happened to us - twice we came back to our car with the windows fully down. Found out that if you press and hold unlock on the key fob, all the windows open, and if you press and hold lock on the key fob, all the windows shut. So if you're in close proximity to your car, put your keys somewhere where you're not going to sit on them, or where small kids can get to them because you might find yourself with open windows! This functionality can be disabled somehow, but not sure how.