Facelift All weather lights

Like comparing lightning bolts to a box of Swan Vesta's Jass...

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Ozmosis and Jassyo06
@Audi Bairn if you get the chance, try comparing their behaviour to Mrs AB's TT... they definitely behave different to my old TT, but like you I can't always figure out what they are doing and when!!

Brought Mrs Bairn's TT to work today just to see what it does at the same junctions / turns (don't think she'll have even noticed it's gone yet).
It loooks like it only activates All Weather Lights when turning as it didn't appear to switch them on when approaching junctions like the S3 does.
I finish early today so won't be dark on the way home to try it again but will stay on the case.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Gordo77, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Brought Mrs Bairn's TT to work today just to see what it does at the same junctions / turns (don't think she'll have even noticed it's gone yet).
It loooks like it only activates All Weather Lights when turning as it didn't appear to switch them on when approaching junctions like the S3 does.
I finish early today so won't be dark on the way home to try it again but will stay on the case.

Good detective work! There's definitely a bit of intelligence behind the LED headlights on our cars. Will also pay more attention to mine, or might even read the manual... as a last resort!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
Good detective work! There's definitely a bit of intelligence behind the LED headlights on our cars. Will also pay more attention to mine, or might even read the manual... as a last resort!

Manual? What's that? :readit:

Wouldn't be good to hear other folks findings as we've more to learn I think.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jassyo06
The all weather lights when turned off do act as cornering lights when you turn the steering wheel

But i also thiught i saw them work before i turned the wheel when using sat nav. Maybe im wrong though.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
The all weather lights when turned off do act as cornering lights when you turn the steering wheel

But i also thiught i saw them work before i turned the wheel when using sat nav. Maybe im wrong though.

I think you're experiencing what we were debating earlier in the thread Karen where they're coming on approaching junctions etc. At least I know I wasn't just imagining it :grinning:

I have an updated 2017 model with xenons (sport edition). As far as i can see (will play next time i am in the dark tho..) is all new A3's do NOT have seperate fog lights/ cornering light housing, everything is built into the new headlight unit. I was a bit annoyed that some Audi blurb somewhere said the the xenons were "plus", which meant they turned with the steering wheel. Unfortunately this is not the case so SE, SE Technic, and sport editions come with xenons, so they just point straight (and not as bright as my old passats either!). They also have "all weather lights", which i am lead to believe are glorified fog lights (I turned them on once and they gave a great spread of light close in). As for the LED s-line etc i'm not sure of the LED details. I'll get back to you if i'm wrong next time or out and about in the dark :)

I have an updated 2017 model with xenons (sport edition). As far as i can see (will play next time i am in the dark tho..) is all new A3's do NOT have seperate fog lights/ cornering light housing, everything is built into the new headlight unit. I was a bit annoyed that some Audi blurb somewhere said the the xenons were "plus", which meant they turned with the steering wheel. Unfortunately this is not the case so SE, SE Technic, and sport editions come with xenons, so they just point straight (and not as bright as my old passats either!). They also have "all weather lights", which i am lead to believe are glorified fog lights (I turned them on once and they gave a great spread of light close in). As for the LED s-line etc i'm not sure of the LED details. I'll get back to you if i'm wrong next time or out and about in the dark :)

The LED ones we're taking about don't have separate units either.
The All Weather Lights are located on the zig zag shaped bit at the bottom of the headlight unit.
AFAIK Xenon Plus are just the upgraded Xenons not to be confused with Adaptive Headlights.
I had Xenon Plus on my S5 and they are just standard functioning lights but a bit better than Xenon.
Would be good to hear how your All Weather Lights operate and if they're the same as the ones that come with the LED's.

Reactions: RichardABZ and Gordo77
I'm monitoring mine now and I think I noticed mine come on at a junction a few times yesterday, made me smile.. very clever.

Mine were also on for most of the drive home in 30 roads from my girlfriends, slow speed manouvering over speed bumps that is. They only turned off over 20mph, so these are on more than we think!!

Reactions: Gordo77
I was thinking 20 mph too but I'm sure they came on at 25mph tonight.
Will be using the wifes TT most of this week but will do a few more experiments as and when I get a chance.

They are the same LED lights as on the A3 facelift and new A4. I think (adaptive). When I approach the junction to the estate I live on, the all weather lights do illuminate even though I have not turned the steering wheel. Have noticed this in other areas to. I then perused the manual and it stated the adaptive function :yes:
Sorry guys, but I like to,,,,,,,,,,,, :rtfm:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Gordo77 and AudiNutta
I was thinking 20 mph too but I'm sure they came on at 25mph tonight.
Will be using the wifes TT most of this week but will do a few more experiments as and when I get a chance.

It might have been 25, it seemed to be quite a while before they went off but I know at 30 they had gone. I am very impressed at how well these little elements illuminate the surroundings, very useful lights. I notice them pulling into my unlit street, very nice touch.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Gordo77 and Audi Bairn
They are the same LED lights as on the A3 facelift and new A4. I think (adaptive). When I approach the junction to the estate I live on, the all weather lights do illuminate even though I have not turned the steering wheel. Have noticed this in other areas to. I then perused the manual and it stated the adaptive function :yes:
Sorry guys, but I like to,,,,,,,,,,,, :rtfm:

I love reading manuals even though I think I know the Audi platform inside out by now. I just never find the time...

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and Gordo77
I still can't figure out how mine are working, every time I expect them to come on, they don't! Then at times they come on when I don't expect them. :shrug:

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn and Karen O'
Im the same. Frustrating little lights lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and Gordo77
I discovered tonight when in full dynamic mode the all weather driving lights don't cut out at 70mph.

Don't know the cutoff but they were still on at 80+ mph.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I discovered tonight when in full dynamic mode the all weather driving lights don't cut out at 70mph.

Don't know the cutoff but they were still on at 80+ mph.

Nice work, interesting!

Reactions: davc
I still can't figure out how mine are working, every time I expect them to come on, they don't! Then at times they come on when I don't expect them. :shrug:

I would ask the Audi tech, but he is in a strop with me still and he will only say they are all weather lights and won't know of any other operation no doubt.

The LED ones we're taking about don't have separate units either.
The All Weather Lights are located on the zig zag shaped bit at the bottom of the headlight unit.
AFAIK Xenon Plus are just the upgraded Xenons not to be confused with Adaptive Headlights.
I had Xenon Plus on my S5 and they are just standard functioning lights but a bit better than Xenon.
Would be good to hear how your All Weather Lights operate and if they're the same as the ones that come with the LED's.
Well it was foggy yesterday so turned the "all weather" lights on. They are definitely fog lights and give a very good lateral spread of light but no depth at all, and certainly no cornering lights/ indicator light turning feature.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Talking of lights.... My xenons don't have a headlamp wash system (or it's never worked from new). I thought this was a legal requirement? I've been looking and some comments are because its below a certain brightness and therefore only needs the headlight levelling system? Does anyone have a link to the TFT as i've been looking everywhere, either that or Audi have coked up with some illegal cars....

What isn't true, the fact that anything under 2000 lumens doesn't actually need washers by law, that the tt lights are either under or over that figure or Audi just decided not to fit them or fit them for some other reason or another?
To be able to go on the market any car has to comply to the law, or are you saying they don't? The article is written by a bulb manufacturer, are you also saying they are wrong?

Perhaps then Audi are fitting them to some cars as whim however I answered the question clearly as too why they aren't fitted to some cars with xenons, not why they are fitted to some, which wasn't the actual question.

Last edited:
my response from Audi tech bods "Having checked with our Technical Support Team, they confirmed that Xenon headlights are standard with the Sport trim; however, this is without the headlamp washer system. Headlight washers are a legal requirement on the brighter headlights ie; Bi-Xenon, which are not on your vehicle"

I have ordered the option of Headlamp washers on my new A3. They were standard on my current A3 but an option on the new one. Both are 2.0TDI-184 s-tronic in Sport trim.

Reactions: RichardABZ
Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if I go down the route of coding my fog lights to act as cornering lights can this be done in such a way that the corresponding fog light only comes on as cornering lights when the side lights or main beam is on. Probably main beam would be the most useful setting. When the fogs are coded as cornering lights is it the indicator that activates them or is there some link with the steering.

Thanks