1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All revs and no go. Please help!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3Si, Apr 12, 2005.

1. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Apr 12, 2005]

Arse, yet another problem! Please help!

From reading some other posts I think it might be a loose/disconnected hose, but would just appreciate confirmation.

It only happened very occasionally at first, but tonight it happened all the time. When i put my foot down in any gear from 3rd up, it just revs quickly and i can hear the turbo spinning up, but there is hardly any accelleration. For some reason it seems fine in first and second??? Its also fine when driving granny stylee, just hopeless when trying to drive it properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Please tell me its just a leaky pipe or something similar and inexpensive!

Thanks again,

Si
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    how many miles have you done on it. sounds more like your clutch has had it.
  4. LeeW

LeeW Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Yes agree sounds like it could be the clutch.

Try pulling away in 4th gear and if it doesn't stall then sounds like your clutch is slipping.
  5. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Its only done 40000 miles, would hope that a clutch would last a bit longer than this? Has only been chipped for a few months and i never do mad starts from a standstill.

If it is the clutch, then thanks, at least i have an answer, but thought it sounded like a boost problem from other threads, then again, i know f all about cars!

Any ideas from others?

Cheers
  6. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    the clutch can go at 40k.. its not only stand still launches, in general driving hard can increase wear too. you have a fairly powerfull car plus you have had it chipped a while so it may well be the clutch slipping.. even if you had boost loss the car would still move as a sought of N/A car..
  7. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Apr 12, 2005]
    best way I have found to test the clutch is to find a steep hill, stop and try and set off in second, if the revs race up and you go nowhere then your clutch is kaput .
  8. welshdragon

welshdragon Member

[Apr 13, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

When i put my foot down in any gear from 3rd up, it just revs quickly and i can hear the turbo spinning up, but there is hardly any accelleration. For some reason it seems fine in first and second??? Its also fine when driving granny stylee, just hopeless when trying to drive it properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Please tell me its just a leaky pipe or something similar and inexpensive!

Thanks again,

Si

[/ QUOTE ]

Si mate I have a similar problem on my A4. If I put my foot down at 20mph in 3rd I can here my turbo spinning up, I actually get full boost reading on my gauge and then nothing. The car doesnt want to move until I get to at least 40mph. Its the same in 4th & 5th but only at low speeds. Fitting a N75J valve did actually solve this problem for me however it made it overboost like mad in 5th (1.5-1.7 bar) so I took it off.

I am convinced that there is something wrong with either the N75 or a vacuum pipe or something, its just that I am carrying out major work on the house at the mo so havent really had time to look into it properly. Let me know how you get.
  9. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Apr 13, 2005]

Thanks people.

Having tried any of the suggestions yet but did notice this morning that it was fine again for 10 mins and then after i'd floored it a few times it started doing it. Could this be the clutch heating up and starting to fry / loose friction?

Will let you know how i get on, thanks again.