1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All about Bushes

firestorm Sep 6, 2012

1. firestorm

firestorm Member

Most of our S3s, A3s are over 10 years old. Many on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th owner.

Whats the best way to determine whether they need changing ?
    Mk1 eyeball ? Look for cracks and tears ?
    Use a big screwdriver, crow bar to move bits?

Are any of these better kept as OEM rubber bushes rather than poly bushes if you want to keep the comfort aspect and not raise the nvh too much?

Any of these easy to fit without presses etc ?

How long would a garage take (approx) to fit these ?

Are there any alternatives to Powerflex that are worth considering ?

a_pfkit290.jpg

Is measuring the gap between the top mount and body a good indicator of it's health ?

I've ordered the following for my S3.

Seat Leon Cupra R Top mount part numbers
    2x LCR top mount - 1ML412331 £49 a pair
    2x bearing - 1J0412249 £11.32 a pair
    2x threaded bush - 1H0412365A £3.85 a pair
    2x top nut - N90353604 £1.46 a pair

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. chris99

chris99 s3 driver

3. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

I recently had my 1997 Cordoba done - it's only covered 62k, but it's an old car. All I can say is wow. As things like this slowly deteriorate over time you don't really notice it. It's when you then have them all replaced that you really notice how tight everything is compared to before. The Cordy feels like it's on rails and has certainly made a big difference out on track.
    The S3 will be getting done come next service time in the spring.

4. firestorm

firestorm Member

How much time are you guys budgeting for replacing all the bushes on a S3?

5. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

i did the full polybush powerflex kit on my S3 about 3 months ago as mine was a bit skittish in the corners. The difference since fitting is brilliant no knocks or bangs and the handling has been massively improved. I am still running standard sized ARB`s front and rear too.

I paid about £250 for all the bushes on ebay and i managed to get the lot fitted for £200 but most quotes i had were £400+

6. firestorm

firestorm Member

Bob,
    is that 3-4hrs of work involved ?

7. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

more like 6 hours as removing the old bushes is a right arse.

I was lucky and the local mechanic near me did it for a quick cash job but he regretted it at wasnt a very happy bunny at the end of the day as he had to work bloody hard to do them all.

Plus dont forget to budget in the need for a full 4 wheel allignment after fitting too

8. firestorm

firestorm Member

I see, therein lies the catch, I have to find one that'll under-estimate the job !

I'm sure I can do the dog bone one and I'll have a go at the top mounts, my LCR ones arrived a couple of days ago.

Ok, thanks for that Rob.