All 3 common faults

DangerS3

Reaction score
Hi ASN

It appears my new (to me) 2007 S3 suffers with 3 common faults:

The door made a loud clonking noise everytime it was opened and shut, I put this down to the hinges needing greasing up. Well looking this evening I noticed the very bottom hex bolt was loose. So I've tightened it up and the noise is now almost gone (barring the check strap). But it's really highlighted how much the door has dropped, and rubbed away at the rubber. What actual part of the door causes it to drop, and how easy is it to replace the rubber?

Windows, only had the fault once and that was shutting the windows with the remote lock. It went up and then dropped back down a few inches and just kept doing it. Is there a way to code this out or is it an electrical problem?

Glove box, it opens and doesn't drop all the way. It opens about an inch and then stops. There's quite a bit of resistance to open it fully, and then it doesn't shut without a firm hand.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Bump, no one had the above problems and got them sorted?

I have an issue with one of my rear windows. I think it's down to the anti-trap windows. It must be a bit tight on the way up so it thinks something is in the way and it just goes down (If you send the window up and gently tap on the top of the glass as it's going up it should stop and go down). Mines done it a few times. I'm planning on taking it apart this weekend!

Glove box problem is the little plunger type thingy (technical term). Lol. It's behind the plastic trim that's visible after opening the door. Get it apart and stick some grease in it. I put 3 in 1 oil in mine and it goes like lightning! Somebody mentioned Vaseline.

As for the door. I've not had any issues there yet.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DangerS3
I would guess you have a 3 door car. Hinge pins wear quicker as the door is heavier than a 5 door car. If you lift the door when it is open, can you feel it clonking/loose?

Glove box problem is the little plunger type thingy (technical term). Lol. It's behind the plastic trim that's visible after opening the door. Get it apart and stick some grease in it. I put 3 in 1 oil in mine and it goes like lightning! Somebody mentioned Vaseline.

Awesome, I'll give that a go thank you!

I would guess you have a 3 door car. Hinge pins wear quicker as the door is heavier than a 5 door car. If you lift the door when it is open, can you feel it clonking/loose?

I do have a 3 door, should've really specified.

And oddly no, the door is rigid regardless of position. And I've noticed the passenger door has dropped too, but only half of what the drivers door has.

No clonking, well, there was clonking until I tightened up the very bottom hex bolt a couple days ago.

If it's the little screw holding the door onto the hinge pin, you have taken up any slack due to wear. I reckon you need new hinge pins, was quite a common thing on earlier 3 door VAG cars.

Reactions: DangerS3
Brilliant cheers, I'll have a look at them