All 3.2 V6 A3 Owners Please Sign in

• Thread starter imported_S_Line
  • Start date
I

imported_S_Line

Hi guys just getting together all the 3.2 Owners that are on the Forums so we can compare notes using this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive had me ole 3.2 remapped using a REVO map

This has increased gear change times and made the DSG very fast.

Ive been tempted by the New Exhaust back box, but cant commit as i have never heard one in the flesh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Faults so far with the 3.2

Rear light clusters Misting up
Front Fog lights misting up

Passenger seat going CLUNK ! when you hit the accelerator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Got mine yesterday,
3.2 DSG S-Line Misano Red,
Bose Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Xenon Lights, Lighting Pack, Stonechip Protection,

Me too

I had a few faults

New Gearbox
New Clutch
New Flywheel
New Passenger Airbag

Had mine since Oct 05.

So far have had drivers folding mirror repaired twice, steering rack replaced, rear suspension occaisionally squeaks, passenger seat clunks over bumps, missing panel from lower s-line grille.

[ QUOTE ]
Got mine yesterday,
3.2 DSG S-Line Misano Red,
Bose Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Xenon Lights, Lighting Pack, Stonechip Protection,

[/ QUOTE ]

erm....you've got a 3.2 on Orkney? Have you made it into top gear yet ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Hello

Only one fault possibly due to an aftermarket headunit and/or sat nav system. Never did find out which it was.

Im in. From the other side of the pond. 3.2Sline DSG.

Hello there, I have a DSG Sport that was supposed to be an S-Line. The stealer cocked it up and fiddled the figures so I still paid for an S-Line! I ended up with a leather interior and 18" RS4 wheels by way of compensation.

Mine is Upsolute chipped but I need much more to keep the Evo brigade in check. Thinking of VF supercharger. Also wondering about a wide body kit if there is one for the 8P.

Mine is now two years old, 29,000 miles. Had the rear dampers replaced but that's all.

Hey this is looking good,

So we only have two (officail) modded 3.2s
Rachaelif, what has the Upsolute chip done to performance ? have you found the DSG is more " Snatchier" when changing ?
The REVO has made the throttle response quicker and you need a feather on the throttle when poodling through trafic.
It makes car park driving very interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I got the 3.2 chipped as a discount deal together with my A6 TDI. The 3.2 was brand new, so I have never been able to compare std vs remapped. It can be a bit twitchy but I just put that down to either driving in the wrong shoes, or barefoot! As far as I know, only the throttle response has been sharpened by the Upsolute map. I don't know whether the DSG has been directly affected.

Hi, no worries here 2 yrs in. Only gripe xenons set far too low

I have a 3.2, March 05 and no problems.

3.2 here as well, 54 plate, light buld blowing in the glove box is the only thing that's gone wrong.

apart from that well happy

migzy

Hey up..... 3.2 dsg, 05 plate..... rattles to buggery but apart from that it's a cracking car !!

3.2 DSG S-Line from March 05, no problems in 16.5k miles

I'm on number 2. 3dr before. Sportback now.

Had a reasonably long list of problems over the last 2 years, but I still love it.

Co-incidentally, it is in today for :

steering rack replacement
driver's mirror (auto folding) motor replacement
driver's door grab handle replacement
instrument binnacle creaking / vibrating

RobB :

1) Did your auto folding motor stop completely?

2) What happened to the grab handle? Was it you that had one like mine that creaks and doesn't feel solid? Did you have much of a problem getting them to agree changing it? Mine creaks, you can push the 2 parts together and twists a bit. Just wondering how obliging they were or whether you had to force the issue?

3) Be interested to know how they fix the pod creaking\vibrating.

3.2 DSG SLine sportback here, dolphin grey on an 05 plate.

Looking at a steering rack replacement as I'm getting the dreaded creaking on left lock at low speeds. Other than that, a couple of minor rattles/squeaks and sticking fuel flap in the cold that I'll get looked at during the first service.

Will be looking at a remap as soon as I can sneak it past the missus...

[ QUOTE ]
RobB :

1) Did your auto folding motor stop completely?

2) What happened to the grab handle? Was it you that had one like mine that creaks and doesn't feel solid? Did you have much of a problem getting them to agree changing it? Mine creaks, you can push the 2 parts together and twists a bit. Just wondering how obliging they were or whether you had to force the issue?

3) Be interested to know how they fix the pod creaking\vibrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it back this morning. Only driven 30 miles so far, but things are looking better.

1) Driver's folding mirror always worked but didn't fold out completely on a number of occasions. Motor replaced - still slower than passenger but it's working and feels a bit more energetic compared to the flat battery effort it used to give

2) Replaced the door handle. The new one still clicks together a bit but no more creaking. They did check about warranty validity but never came back to me again and all was fixed for free.

3) Pod creaking - fingers crossed - they messed about with something under the steering wheel somewhere but a bit too early to tell

4) And the steering rack - well, got the upgraded part and software change and no more creaking, and so far, no lumpy assistance either. I really hoped this has worked.

I'll post in the original thread too to keep this one about the 3.2.

I have a 3.2 bought in Feb 05.

No probs so far and i love it,apart from the hesitation i get when approaching lights and then flooring it.

Hi all, not been on for a while.
Have had mine since Jan 05 & 30,000.

Apart from someone hitting me up the asre on the M6 last year all great to date.
Love the DSG by the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Does a remap really make the difference?

Hi there, here's mine,
1 month in with a 10K mile 54 plate 3.2Q sport 3dr.
Manual
Silver metallic,
Black Leather/Alcantara,
Xenons,
centre armrest,
phone kit (doesnt work with my Blackberry) so awful useless lump on the dash and looking at upgrading the Cd/Tape thing to the RNS Nav system.

Only problems so far are self inflicted, averaging 15mpg to and from work last week!!

Looking to tune this a bit now I feel it is well run in,

seems to hesitate or not pick up as cleanly each time,

Any thoughts, benefits?
REVO seems best I can find
Other chips, superchips anyone with any experience?

Exhaust options (sounds a bit tame)

Dan

04 plate 3.2 dsg here. no probs since new. still love it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garthy: on the top part of the headlight housings, visible in the engine compartment with the bonnet up, are two white plastic adjustment knobs. These will set your beam height, and can be turned using a phillips-head screwdriver. Makes all the difference in the world!

My A3 was built feb 12th 2005, is an ebony black/light grey leather-alcantara interior 3dr, with manual trans., and every option except rear heated seats, tow hook and DSG (in order of importance ;-)

Its clutch plate failed at 7,000 miles, but beyond that, the past 36,000 miles have been worry-free.

It has been remaped at AmD, has a Milltek cat-back and a BMC CDA. The last rolling road dyno put it at 281hp @6100rpm and 36.8 m/Kg of torque (approx 270lb/ft) @2800rpm.

It runs on KW Variant 3 coilovers which, along with lots of alignment fiddling, brought the handling
to a much higher level.

It has been to three track days, in Alès (southen France) Magny-Cours (Burgundy) and Nogaro (South-West France).

I have met Marcel Horn of HPA during my last visit to North America, and I have ordered their braking system, engine mount, and new Haldex controller (faster shift of torque to the rear). I am seriously considering their FT-400 single-turbo kit, reinforced clutch, and lengthened gearset.

Here's a little video, taken from an older RS6 Plus (4.2 V-8, mTm full exhaust and remap - 360hp) The A3 isn't visible 'till the end, and only then for a short while, as it leaves the RS6 in its wake ;-)

Magny-Cours school track

Sorry for the long post,
Ben.

PS Here's the baby:

CannesetVanessa077web.jpg

I picked up my spanky new S-lIne Sportback on Jan 6th this year, it's an 06 model car on 55 plate.

I'll have to go and look see if I have the left-lock problem now that you've all mentioned it...

Dan

Had mine since Dec 03...covered 42,000miles

Been good...minor issues:

[1] New radiator fan
[2] New Symphony II (the buttons break and they don't have spares)
[3] Had the 12v socket in boot retro fitted by dealer as they "forgot" to put it in at the factory.

Found Reading Audi to be great....HR Owen to be not great...

JaminBen said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garthy: on the top part of the headlight housings, visible in the engine compartment with the bonnet up, are two white plastic adjustment knobs. These will set your beam height, and can be turned using a phillips-head screwdriver. Makes all the difference in the world!

My A3 was built feb 12th 2005, is an ebony black/light grey leather-alcantara interior 3dr, with manual trans., and every option except rear heated seats, tow hook and DSG (in order of importance ;-)

Its clutch plate failed at 7,000 miles, but beyond that, the past 36,000 miles have been worry-free.

It has been remaped at AmD, has a Milltek cat-back and a BMC CDA. The last rolling road dyno put it at 281hp @6100rpm and 36.8 m/Kg of torque (approx 270lb/ft) @2800rpm.

It runs on KW Variant 3 coilovers which, along with lots of alignment fiddling, brought the handling
to a much higher level.

It has been to three track days, in Alès (southen France) Magny-Cours (Burgundy) and Nogaro (South-West France).

I have met Marcel Horn of HPA during my last visit to North America, and I have ordered their braking system, engine mount, and new Haldex controller (faster shift of torque to the rear). I am seriously considering their FT-400 single-turbo kit, reinforced clutch, and lengthened gearset.

Here's a little video, taken from an older RS6 Plus (4.2 V-8, mTm full exhaust and remap - 360hp) The A3 isn't visible 'till the end, and only then for a short while, as it leaves the RS6 in its wake ;-)

Magny-Cours school track

Sorry for the long post,
Ben.

PS Here's the baby:

CannesetVanessa077web.jpg

Vid doesn't work mate and surely the RS6 is > 360hp?

I have an S3 at present but it's due for renewal. Am seriously thinking about the 3.2 sportback. The S3 has a revo remap - measures 269 bhp on the roling road. I notice some of you have chipped your 3.2s. What can I expect to achieve with a Revo/ AMD remap (stage one) on a 3.2 without milltek or anything visible?

MushroomMan said:
I have an S3 at present but it's due for renewal. Am seriously thinking about the 3.2 sportback. The S3 has a revo remap - measures 269 bhp on the roling road. I notice some of you have chipped your 3.2s. What can I expect to achieve with a Revo/ AMD remap (stage one) on a 3.2 without milltek or anything visible?

Power gains are negligable, about 5bhp. (welcome to the world of NA tuning;)) Most people report a much smoother drive though.

HI there . A3 3.2 quattro dsg,2003 33000 miles ,a few problems so far, new radiator,new rear shocks ,g'box sounds like a bag of spanners rattling away whilst in neutral and silent when a gear is engaged,anyone elses do this? also a click from under the car when drivetrain takes up the slack.
Does your dsg have a whirring sound when in sport mode and the revs are kept up above the 3-4 grand mark ?i can't decide whether it's a quirk of all dsg's or wether mine is faulty...
Other than that and too narrow seats i'm well pleased :D

ps , i also suspect the launch control has been disabled as if i turn off the esp and select sport mode ,left foot brake and give it a little gas the car seems to strain against the brakes and mechanical sympathy makes me back off the gas is this normal because it seems wrong to me .....

The click you mention - I have driven three 3.2s and they all do it - about a second after pushing the throttle. Sounds like it is coming from the nearside rear. I thought it might be the flap in the exhaust which opens up but who knows. Presuming it is a "characteristic".

Eeef said:
Power gains are negligable, about 5bhp. (welcome to the world of NA tuning;)) Most people report a much smoother drive though.

Hardly seems worth it, for the £500 outlay. Notice AMD claims 15ps extra, again pretty neglible.

jimbob said:
Does your dsg have a whirring sound when in sport mode and the revs are kept up above the 3-4 grand mark? i can't decide whether it's a quirk of all dsg's or wether mine is faulty...

No whirring sound, and keeping the revs above 3000rpm is the major part of the sport mode.

jimbob said:
i also suspect the launch control has been disabled as if i turn off the esp and select sport mode ,left foot brake and give it a little gas the car seems to strain against the brakes and mechanical sympathy makes me back off the gas is this normal because it seems wrong to me .....

You need to plant your right foot to the floor... and yes, the 'strain' appears as the car is waiting for you to take your foot off the brake, but that's normal... just don't sit at the lights for too long like that, he-he.

There was a re-run of an older Top Gear on UK gold last night.
3.2 TT on test.
Anyone see it ?
The Stig described it as handling "like a clown's car"
Understeer,lurch,understeer,lurch.
They did like the noise though.

I thought it sounded appalling on the HOT lap must have had the traction off, non-stop tyre squeal all the way round, I know the stig can drive but surely that's not the quickest way round, seemed to be masses of understeer, I guess the engine is proportionally a bit heavier in the TT but must just mess up the handling I reckon, looked like it was trying to go straight ahead all the time

RobB said:
The click you mention - I have driven three 3.2s and they all do it - about a second after pushing the throttle. Sounds like it is coming from the nearside rear. I thought it might be the flap in the exhaust which opens up but who knows. Presuming it is a "characteristic".

Thanks very much for that ,i was begining to get sick of it but if they all do it it may be a 'characteristic' [or a really common fault :D ,ie shocks..... ]
I don't think it's the flap as i can hear mine do it somrtimes as the car changes up under medium throttle,and a couple of times when changing down!!! ...what noise do the doddgy cv joints make, anyone?

nervus said:
Vid doesn't work mate and surely the RS6 is > 360hp?

Sorry, haven't been on this forum in a while. The link works for me... Has anyone else tried it?

Try these if you like. And please let me know if they don't work. (Cut & Paste)...:

From Nogaro, southern France:

With a 993 Targa:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6Attaque993Targa.flv

With a classic Mini (with C.140bhp and race tyres - it was Fast!)

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6AttaqueMini.flv

With a Clio Cup (my tires were D E A D by then)

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6AttaqueClioCup.flv

JaminBen said:
Sorry, haven't been on this forum in a while. The link works for me... Has anyone else tried it?

Try these if you like. And please let me know if they don't work. (Cut & Paste)...:

From Nogaro, southern France:

With a 993 Targa:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6Attaque993Targa.flv

With a classic Mini (with C.140bhp and race tyres - it was Fast!)

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6AttaqueMini.flv

With a Clio Cup (my tires were D E A D by then)

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=A3V6AttaqueClioCup.flv

VERY NICE,

Got any more?