Alarming to say the least!!!

Maz

Reaction score

Hi all,
I picked up my s3 just over 24hrs ago and am already having sleepless nights and fits of paranoia wondering how secure the standard alarm/immobilser really is. Im already expecting the worse in my first week as an S3 owner.

Im sure most of you have already upgraded in this area which isnt suprsing, although I would like to find out the general opinion on the standard alarm before I splash some cash on an upgrade. Thanks!

Not sure how good the standard Alarm is to be honest which isn't answering your question but the previous owner of mine did fit a Clifford as well. I alway's arm both on mine.... Maybe he knew something neither of us do....

Ade

I've got the standard alarm only. I also have Tracker.

I don't worry too much about it getting nicked as
1. If they want it that badly, no amount of security is going to stop them.
2. The S3 is a bit of a sleeper, and doesn't really stand out and shout "I'm an expensive vehicle, nick me!".

Congrats on the your purchase, and welcome to the forum. The way I see it, if a thief is determine enough, no alarm is going to stop them. Just delay the process.

BTW was you in the Beckton area today?

oops, I take it there 19"s whats the ride like??

I only notice you as you passed me and thought another dolpin grey locally.

Yes I got 19" with 25mm H&R suspension. The ride quality is very much similar to standard. The S3 ride is alot firmer than my previous golf 1.8T (but definitely not a bone shaker).

Well to a certain extent and alarm is an alarm.

It will sound if any of the doors/bonnet/boot are opened. It will also sound if a window is broken and someone climbs in etc.

A top spec alarm will only do the same. You pay extra for exterior sensors and conveinience toys.

Also a theif will find a harder job locating a standard fit alarm than an after market system as all the wires are part of the main loom and the brain will not be noticable.

As for the Audi immobiliser, it is a very good one. Better than after market stuff IMO.
It is integeal to the dash gauges and involves three key elements. The dash gauges, the ECU and the key.

Basically you need all three parts for the engine to run. Even if they get your car, they wouldn't be able to start it easily as they would require a new ECU, dash panel and key to get it to work as you need a secret key code from audi to adapt new parts to the system.
An after market immobiliser is a box a reader and a few cuts in the loom.
I used to be an alarm fitter and I've seen some very easy to get round units as they are only as good as the fitter.

Hope that helps to calm your nerves a bit!! :)

Great post HTC.

my $0.02. steer clear of exterior sensors-although would have possibly saved my wing mirrors-kids love setting them off. seen kids kicking cars to get them to "speak".

As yours is a face lift model then yes the siren in yours will sound a little less than adequate. The reason for this is due to German legislation.

Yes, you can fit a different/louder siren to your system if you wish as its a simple two wire siren. You could fit a battery backup siren if you like.

Pre facelift models used the horn as the sounder.

Stealthgr, yes your car will have the same type of immobiliser.

Another thing to consider if you are planning to get it remapped is using Revo.

The SPS2 and SPS3 units have a security feature which stops the car being driven away by anyone other than the owner of the SPS unit. This feature is apparently unable to be beaten by the thief.

They would have to stick it on a low loader to have it away.