1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alarm issues S4

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by nemo2182, Dec 30, 2010.

1. nemo2182

nemo2182 Lord wont u buy me a V10 R8!

I know im being lazy by not searching, but sometimes its easier this way.....

Last night my alarm started going off for no reason, and then continued to bleep away every 30mins from 3am until I got bored and disconnected the alarm unit to shut it up! Now I have been told that B5 A4's are renowned for this fault, but until now have never had an issue. I had a little play today and sprayed as many of the locks with WD40 as possible, as i thought the cold weather lately may of created some moisture but still no joy. The funny thing is after I did do this it was fine for about 40mins and then came on again, and then every couple of mins until i decided to lift the bonnect. Now as i type this the car hasnt gone off for 30mins, but the bonnect is not closed properly.

Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated, heard horry storys of hundreds of pounds and still not fixed.

Nathan
  2. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Check the sensor under the bonnet, mine was doing this and the sensor had snapped, so because the switch was up all the time now the car thought the bonnet was open and then would set the alarm off, i just disconected it.
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Scan the alarm controller for fault codes, it will tell you what set it off.
  4. electricracer

electricracer Member

scan for faults its probably the bonnet switch though mine went bought new switch for under 20 quid but its fiddly
  5. nemo2182

Touch wood it seems fixed.......

I left the bonnet open over night and then closed it again the following morning and no problems since???? Funny one, Im thinking it may of been all the WD-40 i sprayed in there may of cleared the moisture over night?? Anyways, I still have my fingers-crossed because im already familiar with the problems that go for a couple of days and then reappears once you've told everyone its fixed!!!

Thanks everyone who replied for your help

P.S. On a seperate note, my annoying rattle has come back when I put my foot down. Stopped all over summer, which i guess was the heat made whatever it is expand. Im convinced its either the pre-cats or cats on the left side that have broken up, as I hit the cat with a rubber mallet the other day and the nosie stopped for 48 hours or so. I wouldnt mind, but its guna cost at least £800 to put a decent pipe minus cats on :eek:( I should of brought a fiesta or something!!!
  6. aragorn

I'd take a look at XS Power.

They do a system for about £200, and then they do a set of downpipes with cats for about 350, check ebay.

AUDI S4 B5 2.7L V6 200 CELL TURBO DOWNPIPES 97-02 on eBay (end time 31-Jan-11 11:28:41 GMT)
    AUDI A4 S4 2.7L B5 V6 97-02 Bi TURBO EXHAUST SYSTEM on eBay (end time 31-Jan-11 15:46:36 GMT)

Excellent value and seem to do a good job.

The only thing you need to worry about, is that some early S4's had problems with the exhaust manifolds breaking up internally, it was supposed to have been fixed on facelift cars though.
  7. nemo2182

aragorn,
    I think weve discussed this before.... The xs system looks to good to be true though, full stainless system for £400 notes?? After several posts regarding exhausts, I get the impression everyone thinks Milltek is the only option, but I dont currently have £2000 sitting around. I emailed a exhaust fabricator when it started happened several months ago and they said about £800, which seemed good value for a custom system.

I dont think its the Manifold, as the noise seems to come through the passenger floor, right above the left cat. Its almost like there is a bag of nails in the exhaust. I thinks its made it have a bit of lag through bottom end. I've wanted to get rid of cats anyway, so this is perfect excuse, plus my mate will MOT it, so no need to take them off!!!
  8. aragorn

There are plenty folk over on AudiSRS running the XS Power system without issue.

The only thing i hear about it, is the standard doughnut coupler is pretty pants, and both ends of the system taper down to the original diameter, so when using both parts you ideally want to remove this restriction.

Ideally you'll want an exahsut shop to cut out the doughnut couplers, and weld in some flexis, then replace the narrowing with some nominal size pipe.

The price of the milltek system is just silly.
  9. nemo2182

Should I bother with the manifolds while its down?? I see some units on ebay for under £200.
  10. aragorn

noooo.

Leave those manifolds well alone, thats one area i wouldnt be fitting cheap parts.