1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alarm going off randomly... Help!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jedwa115, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jedwa115

jedwa115 Member

I've got what seems to be the same problem as a lot of people - the alarm on my S3 goes off randomly and the only way to stop it happening some days is to leave the car unlocked. Have read a few threads and seems that this is prob a problem with lock sensors or batteries in the boot.

My Q's are:

1. Will a diagnostics check tell me anything categorically or will I still be guessing after paying for it to be plugged in?

2. Am I right that there is no way to lock the car without alarming it?

Cheers, Jon

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. madvw

madvw Active Member

All you will be able to tell from scanning fault codes is how the alarm was triggered. This will be useful in identifying which door or boot latch/lock needs replacing.

However, it won't tell you if the siren battery is duff.

4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

If you disable the interior sensors I think it will stop the alarm going off, it's the button on the drivers door pillar.

5. jedwa115

jedwa115 Member

No good. That's the first thing I tried. Makes no difference.

As I type, it's been about an hour without going off. That's after "properly" shutting (read "slamming"!) all doors and bonnet. Had the same prob a few weeks back and that seemed to stop it then.

Seems I'll need to have the fault codes checked and then I know which door to have a look at.

6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Disconnect the battery and lock it manually.
    Had this on my old A3 and it was always on cold nights at 3am, so I put it down to the battery backup issue.

7. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

Its the siren thats the problem. I had my alarm going off randomly. Then it got broken into and didnt sound.

Fitting a new unit in the boot has sorted it though!