AJL Custom exhaust...question re what's involved - fitting

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
Can any help me in terms of understanding what needs to be replaced for a cat back system?

I 'think' I need the following parts as per bradderz_1988 recent Milltek sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557:
  • Short downpipes from CAT inc flexi joint
  • 2 x Straightish pipes from flexi to back box
  • Back box with twin exit pipe
I've now spoken to 4 local custom shops in the Glasgow area and they seem to be split in terms of what's required. BTW...custom prices seem far more reasonable than I thought!

1. C&C - awaiting price
  2. Simon's - £420
  3. Elite - awaiting price
  4. Meerkat - £400 - £500 depending on simplicity
My understanding is that the CAT does not need to be removed in order to make and fit a custom 'cat back' system. Some have mentioned that it's a pig to remove the first short pipe as the studs ae only accessible from the top of the engine bay and not from beneath?

The car is currently off the road as the pipe has sheered at the flexi joint.

Really need this fixed asap as it's my daily but I'm being quoted waiting times from 3 weeks to the 2nd week in June. :(

the cat to downpipe joint is a **** to access, best way i've found is a combination of underneath and thru the wheel arch, with the wheel and driveshaft heatshield removed. Usually you'll find 18 year old rusted out bolts that are near impossible to undo, and access with a grinder is impossible too.

Certainly fun!

But yes, the cat itself doesnt need to come off.