AJL chipping....where to get it done...who has any chips?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
Running a stock AJL and it's time to get it chipped.

Brakes - done
Springs - done
Control arms - done
Clutch - done (just went for a stock unit as it'll do for what I want)
Dampers - on the list but they can wait.

I know I shouldn't expect anything more than 200bhp but the increase torque seems to be worth it. Does anyone still have the chips or is it a case of sending the ECU away somewhere? I spoke to Celtic tuning several months ago and after much discussion they suggested it best if I send them the ECU...

I'm in Glasgow BTW.

you'll need to sent the ECU off, as the chips require soldering etc. Unless you happen to have someone nearby that can do it.

Maybe try rick at unicorn?

Mark on here had his avant mapped by some postal company.

Thanks....

So to clarify, if I every decided to upgrade the turbo in the TQS to get it over the 200bhp mark whilst retaining everything else as standard, I'd need to send the ECU away again for another chip job?

If this were possible:

1) are there 'of the shelf' chips that would work in that scenario?
2) what bhp could I realistically and safely expect to get bearing in mind I'd ideally like to keep everything else as stock....230bhp?

Genuinely beginning to think that the longer term plan may be to go full hog and start looking for a S4 Avant B5. I'm loving how the TQS handles but I'm really missing some more space and the big power I used to have in my old 2.2 20v S4. My thinking is based on my perception that if I want to push the TQS power up a good notch then it'll be rather spendy...why not cash in and go full hog for the S4.

Any comments or thoughts to that logic?

You wont get much over 200hp while leaving everything else standard even with a bigger turbo fitted, intercooler and exhaust will almost certainly need done.

And yes, you'd need the car retuned for any such mods, and that would require not only the ECU but the whole car to go to the tuner. While its possible to create a fairly generic safe stage1 map without having the car in front of you, its not really possible to start tuning alternative turbos etc.

As for the S4, its swings and roundabouts, the S4 has much more power out the box and a simple remap sees 300hp with stock everything. But in terms of running costs EVERYTHING costs a fortune, working on the engine is a ballache, the v6 means theres more of everything to go wrong. Turbo swap is engine out job, cam belt requires special tools etc etc. It also uses a good bit more fuel.

Thanks again Aragorn....worth considering the bigger picture I suppose.

Unicorn just ringing out...will keep trying.

Anyone tried Revo (Auto-tec) in Port Glasgow? Called them and the chap seemed to know exactly what was required in terms of the chip coming out / soldering etc and made it very clear that 200bhp was THE giddy limit. They have a 4WD rolling road too which is good. They asked that I send them the ECU then once I've fitted it back in and driven it for a few days to come down and they'd pop it on the rolling road and do a full run check.

Anyone got any experience with them, especially with chipping the TQS?