1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircon unit and belts - good idea all at same time?!?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by munchkincoupe, Sep 17, 2011.

1. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

My 8P1 needs a new aircon unit and needs major service belts doing. Would it be best to get all of these done at once as on previous cars I have owned the aircon runs off belts that required cambelt to come off anyway?

Thanks for your help
  2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Munchkin, your aircon compressor runs off a different belt from the camshaft and it is called the 'auxillary drivebelt'. It also drives the alternator. Since this belt is visible it can be inspected for cracks, splitting and fraying. The auxillary belt can be changed at any time without interfering with the cambelt. I believe that the service interval for the auxillary belt on both petrol and diesel is 40,000 miles or 4 years, or of course if it is seen to be deteriorating. If on the other hand you must have the cambelt replaced, then it would be sensible to replace the auxillary belt as well.