Aircon service/regas...now it's not cold

Jimbo10

Reaction score
Aircon was working 100% but the car was due to go in for a brake fluid change.
For £79 Audi said they would change the brake fluid and service the aircon.

4-5 weeks later, I've noticed that the aircon isn't remotely cold on the lowest temp setting.

Called up and they said I'd have to pay for diagnostics or pay the excess on my extended warranty.
Surely they guarantee workmanship for a certain period? Cannot belive that it was working flawlessly then soon after they touch the system...it's not working properly.

Parts normally have a 12 month warranty when installed by Audi.

I think your within your rights to have them at least diagnose if FOC, as its only just been serviced by them....

They serviced it a month ago, demand it gets seen to because you've never had problems before. Tell them to look, then if it's another problem then you will pay the excess.

I had something not dissimilar recently. The car was being serviced so I asked them to do an AC service as well, as it was two years since the last one. AC was working although possibly a bit low on gas. Got a call from the dealer asking if the AC had been operational, as it was apparently dead when they tried it and needed a new pressure sensor. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but did find the whole incident something of a coincidence...

Reactions: Djs3saloon
UPDATE:

Car has been in with Audi today. Apparently the condenser will have to be replaced as they think it might have a leak at a weld.

Call me skeptical but I think someone is telling porkies here.
The A/C worked perfectly before it was regassed. Now four weeks later it's leaking?
Surely if there was a crack, it would've failed a long time ago?
Wouldn't the technician see a fault code for loss of pressure? I wasn't told of any

UPDATE:

Car has been in with Audi today. Apparently the condenser will have to be replaced as they think it might have a leak at a weld.

Call me skeptical but I think someone is telling porkies here.
The A/C worked perfectly before it was regassed. Now four weeks later it's leaking?
Surely if there was a crack, it would've failed a long time ago?
Wouldn't the technician see a fault code for loss of pressure? I wasn't told of any

You can't totally rule out that them servicing it didn't cause it, but it seems a coincidence. They might have withdrawn the old gas, pressure tested the system and maybe that caused damage?

This thread has totally talked me out of using the AC service offer. My granddad nagged me for months about this, Audi were sending him letters reminding him that his AC was due a service on his 15 plate A3. I told him not to put it in unless there was a fault or wasn't cool, it is working perfect so he didn't.

Two people now have had problems come out of it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

As long as you use your AC regularly and it still puts out cold air I don't see the point in getting it serviced.

As long as you use your AC regularly and it still puts out cold air I don't see the point in getting it serviced.
Brake fluid change was £59 and for an extra £20 they offered to do the A/C. Car is three years old and they recommend doing it every 2/3 years or something like that.

Don't worry...in future if the A/C system is fully functional, no one will be servicing it, regardless of the fact Audi 'recommends' it needs doing.

You can't totally rule out that them servicing it didn't cause it, but it seems a coincidence. They might have withdrawn the old gas, pressure tested the system and maybe that caused damage?

This thread has totally talked me out of using the AC service offer. My granddad nagged me for months about this, Audi were sending him letters reminding him that his AC was due a service on his 15 plate A3. I told him not to put it in unless there was a fault or wasn't cool, it is working perfect so he didn't.

Two people now have had problems come out of it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Thought that they recommend at 4 years and then every 3 years after that! But as you say I wouldn't bother until it stops working...my dad always said "Don't fix what isn't broken" and he was right :)

Reactions: AudiNutta
Thought that they recommend at 4 years and then every 3 years after that! But as you say I wouldn't bother until it stops working...my dad always said "Don't fix what isn't broken" and he was right :)

I know I've had emails about it and my granddad letters in the post, looks like they aren't waiting for the intervals!!

So. New condenser fitted under warranty. Happy days.

Bit annoying not having the car for the day. Pickup the car, aircon working great. Get home and out of curiosity I plug in carista and it chucks up a fault code for heater and aircon (262914) - apparently low pressure.

I wipe the code and start the engine. I then switch on the aircon and run carista again...SAME FAULT pops up.
In my wisdom I look under the car with the aircon running full blast to see intermittent drops (quite a few) leaking from the same spot.

Absolutely p***ed off. Got to call the dealer again tomorrow morning and get this sorted.

So. New condenser fitted under warranty. Happy days.

Bit annoying not having the car for the day. Pickup the car, aircon working great. Get home and out of curiosity I plug in carista and it chucks up a fault code for heater and aircon (262914) - apparently low pressure.

I wipe the code and start the engine. I then switch on the aircon and run carista again...SAME FAULT pops up.
In my wisdom I look under the car with the aircon running full blast to see intermittent drops (quite a few) leaking from the same spot.

Absolutely p***ed off. Got to call the dealer again tomorrow morning and get this sorted.

Normal to see condensation coming from the air con.

But your fault, obviously not normal. But you have to be careful telling your dealer you have plugged the car in, they might be awkward with you.

I got a reminder when my car hit 2yrs that air-con service was due, and they also mentioned it when I had the car in for it's oil service, but on speaking to the rep he admitted it's only advisory and it was still blowing cold then no need.

As above, water dripping from air-con is quite normal, indeed, you want it to! If it doesn't then your outlet might be blocked.

Easiest upsell opportunity in the motor trade this is, with minimum work involved for a quick profit. My advice is if the A/C is functioning correctly & there's no nasty smells (caused by bacteria on the pipes) leave it well alone & save yourself a few quid. It's not a mandatory service item like an oil & filter change so won't affect your warranty in any way by declining 'the service'.