1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag warning light after glovebox removal!?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by J1 MBO, Dec 9, 2013.

1. J1 MBO

J1 MBO Member

Hi all!

Recently had an issue with the recirc flap positioning motor behind the glovebox.

Removed the glovebox, diagnosed the faulty motor, repaired the unit and put back together.

Whilst the glovebox was removed I had the 'Passenger Airbag Off' yellow warning light flashing in the centre console and the red 'Airbag' warning light in the dash (read this is an MOT failure and if its on means all airbags are disabled?!? Eeek).

Once I had reinstalled the glovebox, reconnecting the yellow connector at the very back, the yellow light has gone out bu the red dash warning light is still on?! Is this just because it has registered a 'fault' with the airbag whilst the isolation switch was removed and just needs clearing?!

I don't have access to Vagcom etc! Anyone in Plymouth got it that could help?!
  2. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

Yep, that is all it is, its because you disconnected the airbag keyswitch. I had the same, just get someone with VCDS to clear the light.

Have a look here for someone local:
    VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum
  3. J1 MBO

J1 MBO Member

Thanks for the reply and the info - will have a look! Phew!
  4. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

Always worth leaving the glovebox fully connected and just laying it down in the passengers footwell to avoid this problem.

I've done that both times I've had a problem with the heater motors and never had the airbag light come on.
  5. leegsi

leegsi Active Member

Mine cleared when I plugged it back in
  6. Craig Cull

Craig Cull Well-Known Member

I usually disconnect the battery for 10 mins before i do anything airbag related. Usually fine once plugged back in
  7. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

That's the only safe way to work on airbag related things, the glovebox isn't airbag related - but if you have the passenger airbag disable switch in the glovebox and disconnect the glovebox then it upsets the airbag ECU (the switch has redundant wires so the ECU knows if the switch is connected, whichever state the switch is in). If you've removed the glovebox to sort out/test the heater motors then you can't test them with the battery disconnected! - so you have to leave both battery AND glovebox connected to be sure of not getting an airbag error.