Airbag light on

jolly14

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone help, my car a4 avant 2.0l fsi has failed the mot on the airbag light and it's saying that it's the drivers side, side airbag sensor can anyone tell me how easy-hard it is to do or is it a garage job.

many thanks Jay

whats the fault code ?

it can be a very easy job or a new bag

I had a problem with my passenger side one,
disconnect the battery, leave 1/2 hour then unplug the connectors under the seat, give the pins and connectors a clean, squirt with WD40 and connect back up.
you will need to get the light reset though through vag com

Thank you for your replies, the garage I take it too is a friends and he only has a snap on tool but it's saying its a fault with the offside airbag and when it was at audi last year they said it was that 1 too and would cost £300 plus vat to fix. Is it an easy fix myself as in do the plastic panels just pull off as cannot see any fixings.

Cheers Jay

remove airbag plug for that seat
clean and refit
then have the code cleared

if that dont work it could be the wireing under the seat this needs the plug cutting off and rewireing
then the fault cleared

if that doesnt work then its new bag time

There is fix for the wiring loom under the seat that comes out of the carpet, basically the existing loom is too short, get it reset with vcds and see if it comes back

If you fancy a trip to east sussex i will do it for you

There is fix for the wiring loom under the seat that comes out of the carpet, basically the existing loom is too short, get it reset with vcds and see if it comes back
But is this for the seat airbag and not the pillar bag.

Cheers Jay

is it the front side airbag or the rear side airbag
might be an idea to have a look on the vcds map on here and ask a member if he could possibly scan the car for you to get the exact fault code
sometimes they will clear easilly , you may have to clean the connector and plug with electrical contact cleaner
after this replace the plug and connector is this doesnt work
its either a new airbag or replace the airbag with a suitable sized resistor to simulate the airbag still being in circuit
this will enable the rest of the airbags to fire in case of an accident but obviously not the faulty one

it's the drivers side, side airbag sensor
Sensor or airbag? The description you've been given is vague - you need to know exactly what the fault is being caused by. Get someone with VCDS to scan your car and note EXACTLY what the code and description is.

99 times out of 100 it's caused by a bad connection to the side airbag in the seat.

Thank you for your help, I'm sorry it's a bit vague but that's my friends equipment at his garage but I will be taking it to a garage that has the vcds tomorrow and then I'll post up the codes.

cheers Jay