1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag light has come on - help?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by coajt, Jul 24, 2005.

1. coajt

coajt Member

A few days ago my air bag light came on and unfortunately stayed on...glaring at me with glee.

Anybody know whether this is a common problem and if there is a quick and cheap fix...or does it mean an expensive replacement?

Can I download VAG com from anywhere?

my little beauty is a 1999 T-reg, A3 1.8T with 80k on the clock.

Any ideas?

2. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

You will have to do the vag-com thing to see whats wrong, worse case scenario is a new airbag control module and they are not cheap! It's probably just a loose connection under the passenger seat though, which is common after a good clean/valet or the some passenger caught it with there feet from the rear.

PS. Whilst the light is on, NONE of the airbags will work!

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You still need to get it reset, even if you find the loose connection.
    The light will come on permanently even if you just disconnect/reconnect an airbag.

4. Rhunster

Rhunster New Member

Does anyone know what error code is displayed on the VAGCOM if it's just a loose connection causing the light to come on?

5. eddyg

eddyg Member

I had the same issue on my car when I removed the passenger seat. Had to get it reset at the dealer (for free).

Push the seats forward and have a good nose around and wiggle those cables. It's possible that someone has shoved something under there and fouled the cable.

Either way get the code reset.

Cheers, Ed.

6. VAGMAN1

VAGMAN1 Member

Itcould also be one of the seat belts - last year I had the airbag light come on and it was traced to a faulty rear elt - the circuit on the tensioner was playig up causing a break in the SRS system. Remember that the airbags AND seatbelts are all one circuit and one break causes the light to come on.

I got a used seatbelt unit for £60 and fitted it myself, as opposed to £250 the local Audi dealer quoted! AND the light went back out on it's own accord.

So, get a diagnostic carried out to track down the fault, then go from there.