1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag connector under the passenger seat

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s3tby, Aug 12, 2012.

1. s3tby

s3tby Member

Hiya,

A3 Airbag light is lit, code thrown up is:

00589 - Airbag Igniter 1; Passenger Side (N131)
    32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

From searching it seems to me this is an issue with the yellow connector under the passenger seat. I've had a look under there already and it all looks fine to me, no damage or degraded wires. The code (and light) come straight back on when I try to clear it.

Is the usual fix for this to bypass the connector, cutting the wires and crimping (battery disconnected first obviously!). Has anybody done this before with any success? I don't want to hack away at it really since it appears in good enough nick.
  2. Danio

Danio AUDI-MANIACS.COM

It might be also dash airbag. Not just a seat airbag
  3. s3tby

s3tby Member

In the interests of closing the thread;

As Danio suggested N131 is the passenger dash airbag, consequently the under-seat connectors are irrelevant (they are for the airbags in the seat). A common fix for the N131 dash bag is to simply take the glove box out, and then reseat the yellow connector going into the rear of the airbag.

I did this, blew into the open connectors to make me feel like I was doing something, plugged it back together, fired up VAG-COM, cleared the code and the light is out.

Nice free fix and a 20 minute job.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Win.