1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Vent question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by TrickyLad, May 27, 2008.

1. TrickyLad

TrickyLad is loving his new A3

[May 27, 2008]
    I was driving down to Chester yesterday and i have started to notice a really annoying problem with my air vents

when i was driving with them on setting 2 blowing onto the windows i noticed they were making a huge amount of noise, so i turned them down to setting 1 and the problem was still happening but to a lesser degree. I then turned them down to 0 hoping that the air con would stop blowing.

It didnt, it seemed that even though i had the air con off and vents set to 0 i was still getting the air coming through the vents because of the speed i was going at, call it 70mph.

it happens at 30mph but to a much less annoying level. Is the only way to fix this to twist the air vents to completely shut them off, or should setting the blower speed to 0 do this anyway.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    do you have standard heating rather than air conditioning or climate control?
  4. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[May 27, 2008]
    in all cars I've owned, the only way to stop air coming through the vents is to either close them or set the direction to another route (windscreen or feet)
  5. TrickyLad

TrickyLad is loving his new A3

[May 27, 2008]
    it never used to happen on the Polo i owned.

Its not that i am being really lazy its just sometimes its not possible to reach all of the vents and keep twisting them. even just a strong wind can result in the cabin being blasted with air
  6. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[May 27, 2008]
    on mine I don't have any strange or annoying noises coming from them, even at top speed...

I always leave my climate in auto though and air con always on...

Pedro
  7. Kontraband

Kontraband Active Member

8. hatmeow

hatmeow Turbo is the only way....

[May 28, 2008]
    Ditto on my Mk 2 but doesnt happen to my A3...

but have you removed the air filter?
  9. simon-s3

simon-s3 Member

[May 30, 2008]
    I only put the aircon on if I am too hot. Don;t want any pony's robbed by the compressor :happy:
  10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2008]
    But unless the system is asking for cold air the compressor is not engaged. It works on an electric clutch that only engages when the system asks for cold air, otherwise it's just like a free running pulley.